Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2009, 09:38 AM
    Origin of gematria
    I had read online that gematria originated during the Tannaic period, but I can't find even an approximate timeline of when that took place. Can anyone help?
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Sep 22, 2009, 01:39 PM
    The earliest mention of Gematria that I have seen is from Mishna of Pirkei Avot. This is indeed during the Tannaic period, since the redactors of the Mishna were the Tanaim.

The citation that I have seen is one from Rabbi Eliezer Chisma, who lived in the 2nd Century CE. So that gives you a starting point to work with.

However, the WORD "Gematria" is derived from the GREEK term "gamma-trea" or "Gamma is Three". (It could also be an early form of the word "geometry" which is also a Greek word.) This would indicate that the system actually dates from some time during the Greek Empire period. This could mean any time between roughly 475 BC and 30 BC.

So I'm not really sure how this should be answered. The origins of Gematria could be anywhere from 475 BC to roughly 300 CE. That a 775-year period to choose from.

But there's more... it COULD be that the Gematria system was in existence BEFORE the Greeks came to power, but it may not have been called that. Another term used in the Talmud (specifically the Mishna) for Gematria is "Parpurot" or "side dishes" meaning that they were side-notes of Torah study, not main parts of Torah study. The candy, not the main course, as it were. The point is that there is a HEBREW name for Gematria that may predate the Greek name for it. Which means that there's really no way to pin it down based on the name.

I think that the origin of this study has been lost in time, and though it is a fairly common study today within Judaism, it's SOURCE seems to be lost to the generations.

There's an old story about a Rabbi who told his students that the word "Gematria" had the same numerical value as the words for "wasting the time of torah study" (Bitul Torah), and that this was a proof that his students shouldn't waste their precious study time with the pursuit of Gematria study.

One of the students decided to see if his Rabbi was correct. That night he went home and did the math... and lo and behold, the Rabbi was off. WAAAYYY off. The numerical values DIDN'T match.

The excited student returned to his teacher the next day and told him that there was a mistake in his calculation. "Rabbi," he said, "I spent hours and hours doing the math over and over again and your calculation was just wrong."

The teacher said, "I told you you would be wasting your time if you followed the pursuit of Gematria... look how many hours you wasted with this one example of it."

Yeah... my Rabbi was ticked at me that day...

And yes, it's a true story.

Elliot
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2009, 02:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    The earliest mention of Gematria that I have seen is from Mishna of Pirkei Avot. This is indeed during the Tannaic period, since the redactors of the Mishna were the Tanaim.

The citation that I have seen is one from Rabbi Eliezer Chisma, who lived in the 2nd Century CE. So that gives you a starting point to work with.

However, the WORD "Gematria" is derived from the GREEK term "gamma-trea" or "Gamma is Three". (It could also be an early form of the word "geometry" which is also a Greek word.) This would indicate that the system actually dates from some time during the Greek Empire period. This could mean any time between roughly 475 BC and 30 BC.

So I'm not really sure how this should be answered. The origins of Gematria could be anywhere from 475 BC to roughly 300 CE. That a 775-year period to choose from.

But there's more... it COULD be that the Gematria system was in existence BEFORE the Greeks came to power, but it may not have been called that. Another term used in the Talmud (specifically the Mishna) for Gematria is "Parpurot" or "side dishes" meaning that they were side-notes of Torah study, not main parts of Torah study. The candy, not the main course, as it were. The point is that there is a HEBREW name for Gematria that may predate the Greek name for it. Which means that there's really no way to pin it down based on the name.

I think that the origin of this study has been lost in time, and though it is a fairly common study today within Judaism, it's SOURCE seems to be lost to the generations.

There's an old story about a Rabbi who told his students that the word "Gematria" had the same numerical value as the words for "wasting the time of torah study" (Bitul Torah), and that this was a proof that his students shouldn't waste their precious study time with the pursuit of Gematria study.

One of the students decided to see if his Rabbi was correct. That night he went home and did the math... and lo and behold, the Rabbi was off. WAAAYYY off. The numerical values DIDN'T match.

The excited student returned to his teacher the next day and told him that there was a mistake in his calculation. "Rabbi," he said, "I spent hours and hours doing the math over and over again and your calculation was just wrong."

The teacher said, "I told you you would be wasting your time if you followed the pursuit of Gematria... look how many hours you wasted with this one example of it."

Yeah... my Rabbi was ticked at me that day...

And yes, it's a true story.

Elliot
    Thanks for all your help... loved the true story :)

I had watched a video the other day regarding the end times and it included some references to Gematria. Someone I know dismissed it as inaccurate or not real because they said that the Bible had no reference to Gematria. I said, "Well, the Bible also doesn't say anything about electricity, now does it?" My dad and I were just curious as to the origin, how long it's been around/been used, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Origin of the name ZELDA [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, What is the origin and the meaning of the eastern europe Jewish name Zelda (and I don't mean the short of griselda) Thanks

Countries of origin [ 1 Answers ]

what eastern religion elements matrix. What are the countries of origin for buddhism, hinduism,confucianism,daoism.

The origin [ 1 Answers ]

What is the orign of buddhisim

What is the origin of this misfire? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello , Do anyone has an idea? I replaced joint cylinder head on my D15Z7 honda civic VTi recently. Since then there is some intermitent misfires at low revolutions( < 2000 rev/s). Mechanic told me may be spark wire cable or distributor cap, spark plugs. I replaced them all. Problem...

Last name origin [ 1 Answers ]

Does somebody know where the last name PINSEAU comes from please I need help because my dad told me his great great grandmothers fathers last name was PINSEAU so I decided to search for the origin because it is not a common last name so I was searching for the origin but I did not have one it...

View more questions Search