Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 01:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Clough - just FYI I didn't pop my blisters but I still had scarring on my wrist and my shoulder!!
    So, do you think there would be scarring if the blisters were opened or "popped"?

Thanks!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 25, 2009, 02:36 AM
    No clough, there won't be any permanent scarring.
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 02:44 AM
    When I was a child, I noticed that there was scaring when I didn't pop the blisters and that there wasn't any scarring when I did pop them. Some of those scars have since turned into moles.

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 08:08 AM

How were they treated when you were a kid? If they were never treated, then ITS POSSIBLE scarring might occur since they would burst on their own.

If they were treated then they should have dried up beore they would have had a chance to break. If the skin is never damaged then scarring should never occur.
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 12:34 PM
    Hi, KISS!

When I popped them as a kid, I stuck a needle in them to drain the fluid out of them. Then I would apply something to them to dry them up. Anyway, that's the way that I remember it...

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 01:33 PM

Like the pink stuff: Calamine lotion?
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 01:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    Like the pink stuff: Calamine lotion?
    It might have been. Don't really remember...

It was definitely something that would dry things up, though.

Thanks!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 25, 2009, 01:41 PM

I hope the needle was sterilized first, clough. As mentioned, calamine lotion is an old fashioned, still popular remedy for poison ivy and would be dehydrating.

Tick
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 01:50 PM
    Hi, tick!

I'm sure, that as a child, I didn't sterilize the needle. Doing that then didn't even occur to me. Where I grew up, we would even go so far as to stir the lemonade with our bare hands and arms!

Thanks!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 25, 2009, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, tick!

I'm sure, that as a child, I didn't sterilize the needle. Doing that then didn't even occur to me. Where I grew up, we would even go so far as to stir the lemonade with our bare hands and arms!

Thanks!
    LOL, clough, I guess I did stuff like that too, way back then ! Back then we could do that, they said a little dirt never hurt anyone ! Now today , I know that was perfectly true because that's how we make our immune systems work well.

Tick:eek:
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2009, 04:16 PM
    Clough, I worked as a surveyor for 16 years, and before that in forestry for 4. I have never had poison ivy, as I am very lucky that way. I have though, been around it for all of my life, and have seen dozens of cases. The single best thing for a rash from poison ivy, or poison sumac,or poison oak, is to avoid the urge to scratch first and foremost.

Then go buy some "Ivy Dry". It's OTC, and works wonders. Both of my sons have had the rash, and this cream cleared it right up. I've seen it work time and time again.

If you think that you've brushed against poison ivy, immediately wash off the affected area with alcohol.

Rubbing, not distilled.
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 04:45 PM

Getting rid of the stuff growing in the yard without getting it is always fun.
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Sep 25, 2009, 05:06 PM
    I love the outdoors and have had many run-ins with poison ivy. The best thing to do to prevent a rash is to wash all exposed areas with soap and water as soon as you get home from a walk in the woods. This can prevent a serious rash even you have come into contact with poison ivy plants.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Sep 25, 2009, 06:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmjoseph View Post

Rubbing, not distilled.
    Ethanol will work as well as Isopropanol, but it just seems like such a waste.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog blisters [ 1 Answers ]

My grandaughter has a dog that had puppies about 5 weeks ago and is losing hair and now has blisters with yellow pus in them. What could it be

Poison sumac [ 1 Answers ]

Well my mom got poison sumac Really BADLY so she is sick and itchy I have to take care of her. I was wondering if you guys know how to treat it without going to the hospital. :)

Poison for Lizards [ 3 Answers ]

I know lizards are harmless but I am Terrified by them especiall about them enterng my house. If one got into my hose I would never enter it again. Is there a poison available to discourage them from being near my front door?

.rat poison and dogs [ 1 Answers ]

My Dog aterat poision when my grandparents were babysitting her! :eek:She went to th vet and is now fine... :)but she got put on Viteman K I was just wondering what it is? And what it does? Also she was malnurished when we got her and hs put on a lo of weight but you can still feel and see...

View more questions Search