Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ritabugg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2009, 11:46 PM
    Is it wrong that I can't get past my past?
    I know that the past is the past and that is all it will ever be, but when the past is very hurtful to you, you can't just forget what people have done to you. Let me explain a little bit of what I am still having a hard time getting past...

My whole life has been a very difficult time. Growing up, we were always poor, homeless off and on, and my father was an abusive drug addict. We bounced around, living in hotels, homeless shelters and cars, until I was 12. He was very abusive, mentally and physically. We would never know when or why he would go off, or who he was going to take it out on. Sometimes he would take it out on us and sometimes he would take it out on my mom. After we left my dad when I was 12, we moved to a very small town and lived with grandparents, my mother became an alcoholic and the town whore. She was always gone and it was left up to me to take care of myself, my brother and my grandpa. I cooked and cleaned, I gave my brother baths, helped him with his homework, and even signed my own signature on his school slips. The house we lived in was small and my grandma died sitting on the couch that I was sleeping on. I found my grandpa dead when I got up for school one morning. After my grandparents died, we moved to another house and my mother moved her boyfriend in with us. He wouldn't let us use the heater in our bathroom, where there was no shower, only a tub. It was so cold that year that our shampoo would freeze, and we would have to thaw in hot water before using it. She finally broke up with him, and shortly after that I was raped in my own house by a friend... I never told anyone that before. A few weeks later at the age of 14, I tried to kill myself by taking a bunch of pills. My mother got mad at me that she had to take off work to take me to the hospital. I was put in foster care, but my brother was allowed to stay at home, they said that my mother's neglect didn't affect him the same way as it did me. I spent almost a year in foster care before I was returned to my mother and her new boyfriend. I lived with them for about a year. I was on honor roll at school, and I was a good kid... I tried really hard to be someone that she could love. It didn't work. When I was 16 she kicked me out because her boyfriend didn't want me there anymore. I lived my boyfriends parents until was 18 and then I joined the military. That boyfriend broke up with me when I got out of boot camp... go figure.

Now I'm 23, I'm married and I have 2 beautiful children. I'm mostly happy with my life now... we struggle... everybody does but we have a strong relationship so I know that everything will be okay.

I guess I just still feel sad and angry... I feel like the whole has let me down my whole life. When we were still with my dad, and we were on the street corner holding a sign, begging for money, where was child services? Where was the police? Why, so far, has everybody just let me down. I try to be a good person, I try to help people whenever I can, and I can't help someone, then I will sit and cry with them. I'm caring, and compassionate and I want to help people... where was someone like me when I was growing up? Another thing that still upsets me is my mother... I thought that a mother's love was supposed to be unconditional. My mother loved everything else first, and me last. I have always asked myself, what is wrong with me? What kind of a monster do you have to be for your own mother not to love you? Am I that screwed up?

Sometimes I feel like I should just be over it already, and sometimes I still hurt like it all happened yesterday. I struggle to get over it and I don't know why. I don't know how to get past it so that it doesn't effect me any more. So if you have any ideas, I'm open.
    ajing Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2009, 12:18 AM

I know it's easy for me to say to just forget your past.. but as you said, your happy now and you find the man that love you and have 2 beautiful children.. just open your heart to forgive your mother and father maybe you will find peace in in your heart if you do that.And just think about your children, give them all the love and care that your parents didn't give u.. make sure that your children can't experience what you have been experiencing from your parents before. Ill keep you in my prayers.. God bless
    carlee611 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Sep 23, 2009, 05:11 AM

Its not easy forgetting your past as it was a major part of your life.. but its done and dusted and you can't change it. But at the present you seem really happy with what you've got so stop living in the past and feeling so angry v look to the future, if you don't you will never be able to move on and get on with your life... x

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to truly get over someone and let the past go? [ 18 Answers ]

I don’t know what to do anymore. Me and my ex have been split up for 6 months now and I’m still not over him no matter what I do. I never wanted to date him, but he kept trying it on with me for two months, so eventually I caved in and gave him a chance. We started as a casual thing because he had...

Can't let go of the past. [ 10 Answers ]

I moved to another state to live with my dad thousands of miles away about a month ago and I go to another school, I got a great new job. Why is it after 7 months I still think about my ex? We haven't spoken since early September and I saw her by accident in the gym one day around thanksgiving. How...

How to let go of the past [ 1 Answers ]

I have been married for 8 years and I have beautiful children with this man, but my past keeps haunting me. I was in a relationship 10 years ago and he was very abusive mentally, as well as being physically abusive. He didn't start that way though. He was never abusive at all until his grandpa died...

View more questions Search