Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chasguy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2009, 08:25 PM
    Will telling my wife I'm gay affect divorce/custody in SC?
    I am seriously considering a divorce and want to tell my wife the real reason I want out. I am concerned that by telling her, it will affect the divorce and custody of our child in a negative way towards myself. We live in South Carolina and I can't find any information one way or the other. I think she will understand and accept it, but maybe not. Just in case, I want to be sure.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Sep 21, 2009, 01:57 AM
    I am sorry that you are in this predicament. I don't think there is ever going to be an easy way to tell your wife the truth, but she deserves to know.

I hope that your wife will accept you as you are, but I suspect that it will come as a shock, unless she already suspects. Even at that, divorce under the best of circumstances, regardless of the reasons, is upsetting to everybody. This just may make the journey more difficult.

But, this is your child, and you have rights as her father, no matter where you live. Your lawyer, and her lawyer will hammer out the details of visitation and child support, and it will eventually be as routine as any divorced couple.

Being gay in itself should not be a negative factor, in getting through the process.

I don't know how old your child is, but if your child is very young, the transition will be easier.

For the legal issues you may have, and/or to set your mind at ease, why not visit a divorce attorney, and just ask him.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2009, 12:49 PM

It will not affect the legal aspects of the divorce in any way. As a matter of fact, its not even allowed to be brought up in the divorce and custody hearings.

How it affects how hard she fights things... that can go either way... if she understands, maybe she will be more amicable.
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2009, 03:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chasguy View Post
    I am seriously considering a divorce and want to tell my wife the real reason I want out. I am concerned that by telling her, it will affect the divorce and custody of our child in a negative way towards myself. We live in South Carolina and I can't find any information one way or the other. I think she will understand and accept it, but maybe not. Just in case, I want to be sure.
    Well welcome to the club. There are probably more men out there like yourself and who have been through this than you realize.

As the others have said, being gay should have no impact on the outcome of a divorce.
    aboleth Posts: 60, Reputation: 8

Sep 24, 2009, 10:24 AM

Well, I think the above advice is good, but there are some realities to face as well. Discrimination based on sexual orientation has no place in the courtroom, or anywhere else for that matter.

That will not prevent it from happening. It is quite likely that the admission that you are gay won't have any impact at all legally, but seeing as how you've kept it secret this whole time, I don't think spilling the beans while you have pending legal matters to resolve isn't a good idea.

Generally speaking, if you have to ask yourself whether it's allright to mention something in regard to a court proceeding, it's probably best to keep it zipped.

Just my opinion.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Telling your child your getting a divorce [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 6 yr. old. My husband and I are considering divorce. I have NO IDEA how to tell my child this. She loves her father so much and is sad even if he is late coming home from work at night. If we divorce, she and I will be moving over 700 miles away to start over. We did agree that if this...

Would divorce affect my resident status? [ 3 Answers ]

Been married for 4 years and have had my residency for approx. 1 year and a 6 months

Can my x wife change my sons name without telling me [ 2 Answers ]

my x wife is going to change my son name,can she do this without telling me be fore hand

Does divorce affect immigration status? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! I became a PR of Canada a month ago, my husband sposored me. Now we want to divorce. Will this dovorce affect my PR status. We live in Toronto, Canada. Thanks

How can a divorce affect someone's residence? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I want to get divorced from my husband, but at the same time I don't want to affect his status here. He's been a U.S. Residence since October 2006 (less than 2 years) and we've been married for about 3 or 4 years, together for almost 7 years and have a 5 year old son. Would a...

View more questions Search