Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 29, 2006, 08:11 PM
    Storm cleanup
    In yesterdays storm that hit LI I lost a very large branch off one of the trees in my backyard. The branch is more than a foot in diameter at the base and broke off a few feet from the base. When it broke it took out a power line so we were without power for over 20 hrs.

Anyway, the power company did saw up the branch enough so they could clear it from the wires. But its now covering a good portion of my back yard.

The way I see it I have 3 options; rent a chain saw, buy a chain saw or hire a landscaper to clear the branch. Are there any other options? Can anyone give me ballpark figures on rentals or contractor costs?

Also, if I go DIY with a chain saw, any opinions about gas vs electric?

Scott<>
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2006, 09:00 PM
    Go browse the small engine forum and see the questions on gas chain saws. Then go buy an electric one. An electric one is likely on the light duty side for such a job, but how often do you plan on doing it? Better yet, hang a sign on it, ''Free firewood''. Wait and see if somebody stops by and offers you a price. If we lived anywhere close, I would come by and cut it up for $50.

Hope you had a good UPS on your computer. What was it, a crummy silver maple? Our electric company is doing a clear cut of anything within 10' of their lines.
    wolfboy Posts: 32, Reputation: 4

Oct 29, 2006, 09:01 PM
    Personnaly I would go buy either electric or gas.
    They are pretty cheap at wal-mart.
    I would say electric in this case because you don not use it all the time.
    If you decide to buy gas make sure you drain all the gas out of it when you put it up or it can jell up the carb.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 30, 2006, 06:26 AM
    Lab, according to the guy who did the trimming it was a maple. I have 2 other oaks which seem strong.

An inexpensive electric should fill my needs. They will be light and infrequent. I got to figure a rental place is going to charge me about half of what it would cost to buy. So I'm leaning very strongly towards purchasing. That would also mean I don't have to do the whole thing in one day.

I thought about the free firewood deal, but I've been told that in our area its recommended that you only burn seasoned wood.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2006, 06:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Go browse the small engine forum and see the questions on gas chain saws. Then go buy an electric one.
    That made me laugh. Good one. :)
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2006, 06:44 AM
    Gas or electric chainsaw, for light use electric would dod the job.

Or place a sign in the front, "FREE FIREWOOD, YOU CUT AND HAUL"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace won't start after storm [ 1 Answers ]

We had a storm pass by with eletrical surges. Power was out for 24+ hrs. When I went back to start furnace, blower or furnace would not start when I set the thermostat to auto. Replace 5amp fuse on blower board. Still no action from blower or furnace (gas). Model Heil NTC6075 about 5 year old....

View more questions Search