Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hyperhunt Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2009, 10:10 AM
    Set timing on a s82
    I replaced the base gasket on my John Deere S82 now it will not start. I was told the timing might be out. How do I adjust the timing? I have spark and fuel. Any ideas?
    Cedarln2265 Posts: 193, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2009, 10:31 AM

Manuals online.com is a very helpful start point to find instructions
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 20, 2009, 12:10 PM

Hi,
    Oldie goldie there! First question would be, has it been changed to a Magnetron ignition, has one to begin with. A sheared flywheel key will give fire but not run with a Magnetron ignition. It would not have fire with a conventional ignition. Deere will have only the parts breakdown at that age; seems to show it as a Magnetron.
    John Deere - Parts Catalog
    Peace,
    Clarke

Sep 20, 2009, 03:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    Oldie goldie there! First question would be, has it been changed to a Magnetron ignition, has one to begin with. A sheared flywheel key will give fire but not run with a Magnetron ignition. It would not have fire with a conventional ignition. Deere will have only the parts breakdown at that age; seems to show it as a Magnetron.
    John Deere - Parts Catalog
    Peace,
    Clarke
    It ran fine yesterday

Sep 20, 2009, 05:47 PM

Hi.
    There are only three systems; ignition, carburetion and compression. It literally must be one of those giving the problem. All of those must be there in the correct quantities and at the correct time.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Sep 21, 2009, 02:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperhunt View Post
    It ran fine yesterday
    Im new to riding mowers. I have a ton of spark and sprayed eather. The gear slid on the key way. What is the orange piece on the left side of the crank could that be in the wrong place?

Sep 21, 2009, 04:57 PM

Hi,
    I am afraid I do not know of an orange piece unless it happens to be the Magnetron and mounted on the side of the coil. They were made in many colors at first to track failures.
    The flywheel key is beneath the large nut in the center of the flywheel. You may wish to type in "S82" in that link I already gave. It will bring up your machine. Hit the "+" and take the Sectional Index to view the various parts of the machine. You can use the Print Selector to open a page with Illustration and Keylines; pick the File menu on that page and select Print and you have a hard copy.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Sep 22, 2009, 05:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    I am afraid I do not know of an orange piece unless it happens to be the Magnetron and mounted on the side of the coil. They were made in many colors at first to track failures.
    The flywheel key is beneath the large nut in the center of the flywheel. You may wish to type in "S82" in that link I already gave. It will bring up your machine. Hit the "+" and take the Sectional Index to view the various parts of the machine. You can use the Print Selector to open a page with Illustration and Keylines; pick the File menu on that page and select Print and you have a hard copy.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    The orange thing was the govenor. I had it in the wrong spot, and I found a dot stamped in each gear. I lined them up, put it back together, and it fired right up

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DB timing out? [ 4 Answers ]

When I submit this query, it is just returning a blank white page. SELECT * FROM `leads` WHERE (`id` != "31769629-4a63-83b2-de31-49b3a5e72271" OR `id` != "162541ac-8842-86c9-6fa8-49af50d437e6" OR `id` != "df61cc92-4af1-6f22-6aa3-4a4a9fd293e6") Except it is MUCH bigger... I am trying...

Two timing B/F. [ 23 Answers ]

I broke up with my b/f of 1.5 yrs because of DISTANCE 2 months ago.The break up isn't mutual as I only sent an email to him. 3 days after I sent such email, I learned he cheated on me by chatting online with a woman he had a relationship with for 1.5 yrs too because that woman sent an email to me...

Is it Really Bad Timing? [ 6 Answers ]

I need some advise from some female bloggers... Recently I've been dating a co-worker who has just ended a 3 1/2 year relationship about 4 months ago. We hit it off great as we have so many Things in common especially our outlook in life. However, when things started to get more serious in...

View more questions Search