Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    try4best Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2009, 02:45 PM
    Physics - Force
    An elevator car is moving vertically inside a building. A tension force T in a cable pulls upward on the car, while a gravity force Fg pulls downward. Compare T to Fg for each of the following situations. Note the magnitude of each force (for example, “T is much bigger than Fg”)

1) The elevator is moving slowly upwards at constant velocity.

2) The elevator is moving slowly downwards at constant velocity.

3) The elevator is moving quickly upwards at constant velocity.

4) The elevator is moving quickly downwards at constant velocity.

5) The elevator is moving slowly upwards when it slowly comes to a stop.

6) The elevator is moving slowly upwards when it quickly comes to a stop.

7) The elevator is moving quickly upwards when it slowly comes to a stop.

8) The elevator is moving quickly upwards when it quickly comes to a stop.

9) The elevator is moving slowly downwards when it slowly comes to a stop.

10) The elevator is moving slowly downwards when it quickly comes to a stop.

11) The elevator is moving quickly downwards when it slowly comes to a stop.

12) The elevator is moving quickly downwards when it quickly comes to a stop.

You don't necessarily have to help me with every question. It's just that I don't really the concept behind it (how to come to the answer). In additon, doing these questions with math, I was stuck... (didn'tt know the difference between slowly upwards at constant velocity and quikly upwards at constant velocity... if your going at a constant velocity.. how can you be slowing down or speeding up)...
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 09:33 PM

1. Since the elevator is moving at constant velocity, there is no resultant force (recall Newton's first law: every body remains in its state of rest or constant motion unless acted upon by a force). That means the tension equals the gravity. ()

I guess you can do for the rest up to 4.

5. Since the elevator is moving up slowly with constant velocity, then slowly comes to a stop, that means that a force was applied against the motion, and that force is 'small' in magnitude so that little acceleration is produced (That's because a force produces an acceleration from )

I think you can do the whole rest. Post the answers with which you come up! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Force, Work how to determine force without accelration [ 3 Answers ]

I know we're not supposed to post up the full question but I figured it would just be easier to explain it. A 350 kg piano slides 3.8 m down a 31 degrees incline and is kept from accelerating by a man who is pushing back on it parallel to the incline. The effective coefficient of kinetic friction...

At what value of Force, can we feel the effect of gravitational force between objects [ 2 Answers ]

PLEASE READ THE WHOLE QUESTION AND THEN ANSWER At what value of Force, could we feel or see the effect of gravitational pull or force between two objects. E.g. 2 pencils kept at a very small distance (r) exert a force (F) on each other such that they are pulled by each other and stick to each...

Physics Force [ 4 Answers ]

I know that there are 6000J of work in this problem because I solved it using Potential Energy. I did (20kg)(30m)(10m/s^2)=6000J I have a can of toys that weighs 20kg and it is dropped 30m and makes an indent in the sand below .402m. I am supposed to find the force the sand exerts on the can of...

Physics Problems ! (work= Distance * Force) [ 2 Answers ]

A force of 825 N is needed to push a car across a lot. Two student push the car 35 m . How much work is done? After a rainstorm, the force needed to push the car doubled because the ground became soft . By what amount does the work done by the students change ?

View more questions Search