Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Oct 31, 2006, 08:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinaryguy
    Forgive me, but isn't it kind of preposterous to claim that the entire web of life as it exists on this earth is a perversion caused by original sin? By this line of reasoning all predators, parasites and scavengers are a result of sin, as are all disease-causing bacteria, viruses, phages, and fungi. And the death of any living organism, even single-celled microscopic ones must be due to sin as well. And in a deathless biology there would be no need for reproduction, in fact it would be disastrous, so that has to go too. But why would it stop there? Anything that changed biology that fundamentally would surely have also changed the laws of chemistry and physics? In a sinless universe would stars die? Just how deep did it go?
    The deathless biology you describe isn't taught in the Bible.

BTW
    I bring in the Bible because this is a biblically based question.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 31, 2006, 08:43 PM
    As disgusting as they are, insect perform a purpose in life in that they facilitate the well being of being food for animal and bird life and the spread of bacteria and germs essential to life and help plants reproduce as well as act as garbage disposals for dead matter and the process of soil regeneration is also done by insects. All of God creatures has a place on earth and duty to perform. Remember that next time you swat that fly. (or that fly may be your reincarnated ancestor, think before you swat)

By the way
    I really didn't think this was a religious question since the importance of insects can be seen on the Animal Channel.
    -

Oct 31, 2006, 09:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    As disgusting as they are, insect perform a purpose in life in that they facilitate the well being of being food for animal and bird life and and the spread of bacteria and germs essential to life and help plants reproduce as well as act as garbage disposals for dead matter and the process of soil regeneration is also done by insects. All of God creatures has a place on earth and duty to perform. Remember that next time you swat that fly. (or that fly may be your reincarnated ancestor, think before you swat)

btw
    I really didn't think this was a religious question since the importance of insects can be seen on the Animal Channel.

Of course animals can be discussed from a nonreligious standpoint.
    But note that Morganite places the question within the religious realm by bringing God into the equation and purposefuly focused on pest-like insects.

BTW
    I don't find all insects disgusting. I find some, such as the butterfly, and the Ladybug and firefly quite beautiful.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2006, 11:43 PM
    "The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one will believe it."
    -----Bertrand Russell

It's these damn tapeworms I can't stand!
    -----magprob
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Nov 1, 2006, 12:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    Of course animals can be discussed from a nonreligious standpoint.
    But note that Morganite places the question within the religeous realm by bringing God into the equation and purposefuly focused on pest-like insects.

BTW
    I don't find all insects disgusting. I find some, such as the butterfly, and the Ladybug and firefly quite beautiful.
    Well, just to complicate things (I'm so darn good at that)... Aside from serving other purposes, most flies are essential pollinators of many plants. Though many butterflies feed on nectar, many species far prefer rotting fruit and dung. Ladybugs are in fact voracious predators, mostly of aphids. And finally, the bioluminescence of fireflies is achieved through the combination of oxygen and ATP with two proteins (one an enzyme), luciferin and luciferase -- the Latin etymological origins of which are fairly obvious. Just food for thought. :D
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Nov 1, 2006, 06:06 AM

BTW
    I bring in the Bible because this is a biblically based question.

If A&E had remained in the garden, would they have died?

Nov 1, 2006, 06:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    As disgusting as they are, insect perform a purpose in life in that they facilitate the well being of being food for animal and bird life and and the spread of bacteria and germs essential to life and help plants reproduce as well as act as garbage disposals for dead matter and the process of soil regeneration is also done by insects. All of God creatures has a place on earth and duty to perform. Remember that next time you swat that fly. (or that fly may be your reincarnated ancestor, think before you swat)

btw - I really didn't think this was a religious question since the importance of insects can be seen on the Animal Channel.

The question does not address 'importance' but 'purpose,' meaning God's purpose, especially for those creatures mentioned, suich as flies and mosquitoes. It is definitely a religious question, since it asks about God's motives.

Nov 1, 2006, 06:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by magprob
    "The point of philosophy is to start with something so simple as not to seem worth stating, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one will believe it."
    -----Bertrand Russell

It's these damn tapeworms I can't stand!
    -----magprob

"A pint of quassia a day
    Keeps those tapeworms away!"
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Nov 1, 2006, 06:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganite
    The question does not address 'importance' but 'purpose,' meaning God's purpose, especially for those creatures mentioned, suich as flies and mosquitoes. It is definitely a religious question, since it asks about God's motives.
    To live long and prosper, I'd imagine. What more purpose do they need, other than to be happy. The world would function quite fine without humans, on the other hand, likely a good deal better in fact. :)
    -

Nov 1, 2006, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganite
    If A&E had remained in the garden, would they have died?
    God established a law of cause and effect for morality as he did for the physical world. Sin would lead to death regardles of geographical location. The Garden itself was a gift for his obedient Earthly children. The reason he removed them from it was because they were now willfully disobedient and no longer deserved to live there.

Romans 5:12
    Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

BTW
    Notice that the ones whose lifespan was affected by sin were humans.

Nov 1, 2006, 01:11 PM
    God established a law of cause and effect for morality as he did for the physical world. Sin would lead to death regardles of geographical location. The Garden itself was a gift for his obedient Earthly children. The reason he removed them from it was because they were now willfully disobedient and no longer deserved to live there.
    They were relocated as a result of sin. Had they not sinned, they would havwe remained in the G of E, but would they have died?

M:)
    -

Nov 1, 2006, 01:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas1970
    Well, just to complicate things (I'm so darn good at that)... Aside from serving other purposes, most flies are essential pollinators of many plants. Though many butterflies feed on nectar, many species far prefer rotting fruit and dung. Ladybugs are in fact voracious predators, mostly of aphids. And finally, the bioluminescence of fireflies is achieved through the combination of oxygen and ATP with two proteins (one an enzyme), luciferin and luciferase -- the Latin etymological origins of which are fairly obvious. Just food for thought. :D

I was referring to their physdical beauty not their behavioral one which might include predation.

Pollination? True.
    Some might have been created as pollinators but were not created to pester mankind in any way either on a one-to-one basis or on a plague basis. In short, if they are pestiferous now that was not the way they were intended to be. The same applies to the other insects you mention.

BTW

Mars, Jupiter, Uranus, Neptune, Mercury, Venus, Saturn, Pluto.

Thursday=Day of Thor Saturday= Saturns day. January=the god Janus. Monday=honoring the moon goddess

There are many others.
    Does that mean that I can't appreciate any of the planets because they are named after false gods? Or can't considered a day or season beautiful because men call them by false god's names?

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/jwst/elazarav.htm
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2006, 05:09 PM
    I take it you mean that you don't interpret the Bible to mean that ALL death is the result of sin. To me, it seems obvious that "The wages of sin is death" is not necessarily the same as saying "All death is due to sin", but I have heard many Bible worshipers argue vehemently that that's what "the Bible says". So it turns out that what is "taught in the Bible" is a matter of interpretation. Why is it that so many Bible quoters resist taking any responsibility for their own interpretation and insist that no other interpretation is possible?
    -

Nov 1, 2006, 06:21 PM
    I take it you mean that you don't interpret the Bible to mean that ALL death is the result of sin. To me, it seems obvious that "The wages of sin is death" is not necessarily the same as saying "All death is due to sin", but I have heard many Bible worshipers argue vehemently that that's what "the Bible says". So it turns out that what is "taught in the Bible" is a matter of interpretation. Why is it that so many Bible quoters resist taking any responsibility for their own interpretation and insist that no other interpretation is possible?

Not at all. You should instead take it that I mean that the Bible doesn't teach that concept you came up with. Neither is the Bible a book open to all and any arbitrary interpretation without regard to its inner uniity and its overall theme. Your claiming this shows deep ignorance of the very book you choose to criticize which makes discussion much less debate useless.

Also, I don't know of anyone who worships the Bible.

BTW
    I do hope you are aware that its against the posting rules to criticize answers given to questions since this is not a debating forum. Debates are done at the member's forum-not here.

I don't expect EVERYONE to agree with my beliefs, as you seem to have assumed.
    Nevertheless they are my beliefs and like it or not I have a right to post them.

If indeed you have a gripe with people posting beliefs that irritate you as mine evidently does-then there are several options at your disposal:

1. Take your gripe to administration
    2. Ignore the posts of people who disagree with you.
    3. Block people who disagree with you.

What is not an option is constant griping involving ridicule ad infinitum not for the sake of learning nor teaching but simply as a way to blow off steam. That isn't what this forum is about. Please read the rules. Furthermore, Debating about side issues throws the whole discussion off its original course. Especially when all that's really being criticized is the right of the answerer to express himself in accordance with his beliefs.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2006, 07:42 PM
    Perhaps the fly asks himself the same question.

Why did God create these humans? what a destructive and terrible lot they are!
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2006, 08:28 PM
    For God so loved the mosquito he created man, a relatively hairless food source.
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2006, 09:29 PM
    Not at all. You should instead take it that I mean that the Bible doesn't teach that concept you came up with.

Hey, I agreed with your interpretation. I'm just saying what I have heard many others interpret it to mean.

Neither is the Bible a book open to all and any arbitrary interpretation without regard to its inner uniity and its overall theme. Your claiming this shows deep ignorance of the very book you choose to criticize which makes discussion much less debate useless.

I didn't claim it is open to "all and any arbitrary interpretation", just that it is clearly open to more than one interpretation.

Also, I don't know of anyone who worships the Bible.

Well, I do, but I didn't accuse you of it, so don't get your back up.
    Lighten up Starman, I'm not ridiculing you or anybody else. Your thin skin is showing.
    Sentra Posts: 385, Reputation: 55

Nov 1, 2006, 09:36 PM
    Mosquitos are meant for target practice.

Flies are meant for accuracy of paper swatting technique.

I'm really bored...
    -

Nov 3, 2006, 07:05 PM
    Lighten up Starman, I'm not ridiculing you or anybody else. Your thin skin is showing.

If the answers drift too far from the original question the moderator terminates the thread.
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2006, 07:59 PM
    If the answers drift too far from the original question the moderator terminates the thread.
    That would qualify as a mercy killing, I think.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yellow Flies [ 17 Answers ]

Suggestions for something that will repel yellow flies please. When bitten by them, if I don't get to the meds quick enough, I end up in the emergency room. I'd really like to enjoy the flower garden and patio my husband and I just put in without being attacked by those buggers. It would be such a...

Gnats/flies in drain pipe [ 3 Answers ]

Sorry for posting another question so quick after you answered the first but I had something else I wanted to get your opinion on. This is my first house and I am still learning on how to work simple plumbing jobs. We have a clean-out on the outside of our house so you can access the pipe that runs...

Biting Flies [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know a remedy for biting flies?. we get them really bad and can't be outside at our beach cottage. HELP!

View more questions Search