Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 07:50 AM
    Selecting the Proper Size Air Compressor
    It's not unusual for individuals to purchase the wrong size air compressor. Begin by performing a requirements analysis. Look at the air requirements of the tools that you'll be using. Specifically, focus on tool air consumption at load, not average air consumption. Most marketing literature focuses on "Average Air Consumption," which gives the appearance that most compressors will adequately drive the most common air tools. Reality ends up being something quite different.

For industrial clients, Ingersoll-Rand only quotes "Average Air Consumption at Load," not "Average Air Consumption." The differences can be huge, especially with impact wrenches. Take, for instance, Ingersoll-Rand's 231C impact wrench, the most popular 1/2-inch drive wrench in the world:

PMAX: 90 psi
    Avg. Air Consumption: 4.2 cfm.
    Avg Air Consumption@Load: 22 cfm.

Most homeowner-size compressors won't come close to meeting the 22 cfm avg. air consumption @ load requirement. Therefore, instead of getting 600 lb.-ft. of nut busting torque in reverse, they may only get 200 lb.-ft. That can make the difference between removing a rear axle nut to replace a wheel bearing or not. Most tool testing performance statistics assume a 15 foot (3/8-in. I.D.) hose, not the 25 to 50 foot hoses that most people use. Remember, every 10% drop in line pressure results in a 14% drop in tool power and an 11% drop in torque. Attaching an inexpensive pressure gauge to the end of the hose will give you a handle on line drop. Therefore, average air consumption at load and line drop become extremely important factors in selecting the proper size air compressor.

Check out some similar questions!

Selecting Thermostat with proper temp. Differential [ 5 Answers ]

Hello - Recently I had Lux digital thermostat replaced. After several attempts with Honeywell tstats -- that were cycling the death out of my furnace -- had contractor install White-Rodgers 1f56-444 mercury-style tstat. After devouring this site, I learned to adjust the heat anticipator to 1.2 A,...

Proper Sizing for AC Compressor [ 7 Answers ]

I apologize if this is mentioned in the FAQ, but I did not see a link in the sticky. When my new furnace was installed 2 years ago, the coils were also installed for the AC. So now all I need is the compressor that goes outside. Just so I don't get ripped off from local HVAC guys... what size...

Proper Vent Size & Wet Venting [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have an old house (100-years) and have a couple of questions about venting. Here's the details of each floor: Basement - washer & utility sink, / shower, sink, & toilet 1st Floor - kitchen sink, garbage disposal, & dishwasher / sink & toilet 2nd Floor - tub, sink, & toilet My...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.