Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    texasgirls Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2009, 07:44 AM
    Mother In Law just moved in and has lots of debt but hiding it. Will we be responsibl
    My Mother in law just moved in with us about 2 weeks ago. She just found out she has ovarian cancer so she went through surgery and soon has to go through Chemo. We moved her and her two 12 year old kids in our house since she cannot work to pay her rent.

We have come to find out she doesn't pay most of her bills and she doesn't know that we know. She is very secreative and has always been. She lies straight to our face about everything including telling us her car is paid off but still owes $23k on it.

Friends have told us that we could be responsible for her debt if she is living for us. Is that true? This will bankrupt us and it is scraying me to death.

Please help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 19, 2009, 07:48 AM

In the US, not unless you agree to pay her debt, if a debt collector calls and you tell them you will pay it, then yes you could.

Two issues, first since you are helping her out, you have some right to know what or where her finances are.
    If she is not working at all, who is going to pay the car bill, or the doctor bills or other bills.

Even the bills for the two 12 year old school lunches and more.

It is time to set her down and read her some facts of lifes, tell her that if she wishes to lie to you, then she may have to move out. Also how long ( forever most likely) do you plan on her staying

Sep 19, 2009, 08:01 AM
    I truly agree about sitting her down. My husband doesn't want to treat her like a little kids but I keep telling him if she is in our house than she needs to tell us the truth about everything. She has told us some but lies about everything else. She gets child support but not until next month and she tells us we will get most of that to cover the expenses of them living here which will help but once Chemo starts it won't cover much.

She lied to us about having health insurance and doesn't. Well she applied for it and happened to get insurance approved just in time but has no policy or snything for us to look at to see if it will cover Chemo, We just sold out boat in case we have to cover Chemo and her other daughter is doing the same. It is depressing since my husband and I work so hard for what we got and it feels like it is being taken away so quickly.

Now that people keep telling us that since she is living in our house we could be responsible for her car, old bills etc it scares me! We will go broke. My kids should not have to suffer from her being stupid with her money.

We found out on the internet that if we don't sign a power of attorney we shouldn't be liable but I want to make sure. Oh believe me I won't sign anything that we are going to cover her bills for her.

Chemo is 6 times and 3 weeks in between so I am guessing she will be with us for a long time. It is going to be hard on me since there is now 7 people living in our house and they help with nothing. I feel like a hotel, maid and a cook.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 19, 2009, 08:07 AM

First, having her live with you does not, in any way make you liable for her debts. Unless you agree to take responsibility for any debt, you cannot be held responsible in any way.

If any creditors contact you about her debts, you tell them you are not responsible. Even if she told them you were, unless you sign anything agreeing to take on the debt, you can't be held responsible. Even if you agreed to take on a POA you still wouldn't be responsible for her debts.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by texasgirls View Post
    Friends have told us that we could be responsible for her debt if she is living for us. Is that true? This will bankrupt us and it is scraying me to death.
    Hello texas:

NOT true.

excon

Sep 19, 2009, 08:14 AM

That is so good to hear. Thank you both for helping me out.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 08:25 AM
    Hello again,

I should have read your second response...

If you understood a few distinctions, you'll see that this isn't as bad as it appears. In terms of her creditors, she appears to be, bankrupt. She CAN, at some point or other make it an actual LEGAL declaration, but in terms of paying her bills - she CAN'T.

So, I don't know what you're trying to get her to do, when you sit her down... But, maybe if you approached her with a PLAN, you guys could work things out... If her ONLY income is child support, that can't be garnished, so she's judgment proof. As ugly as that sounds, it can work in her/your favor...

First off, the creditors can't get blood from a turnip. You DO need to STOP the creditor harassment. Within the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, you have a method of STOPPING the creditors to calling, writing, or bothering her in ANY way. All it takes is a cease and desist letter. They can, and WILL sue her if she owes a bunch... So, prior to THOSE court appearances, she files for legal bankruptcy...

Until then, let her concentrate on getting well, and you can concentrate on your family, and not have to worry.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lots of debt very little income [ 3 Answers ]

We are in a lot of debt, over $200,000 and our income has dropped to about $21,000 a year. We are looking for additional work but have yet to find any, my husband has taken on a school bus drivers job to provide us with health insurance. Our debt is about 2 years old (March was 2 years) and we...

Debt Collection from Canada - Moved to Egypt [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, here goes. I lived in Alberta, and I took out an unsecured loan for my girlfriend at the time from Wells Fargo for $7900 in Sept 2005. She told me that she would make the payments and she did. I found out later that it was only until Dec 2005. Someone called me in July 2008 and notified me of...

Mother moved out of state and still getting child support [ 1 Answers ]

My stepson's mother threw him out April 1 and left the state. She is still getting child support. We have no way of getting a hold of her, and when we tried to set up a court date to get custody changed over she didn't show up and so they dismissed the case. How do we file child abandonment so...

Debt & my elderly mother [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, I'm new to this. My mom (she's 84) has Parkinson's Disease. Diagnosed in 2003. I moved her in with me at the start of 2003, we sold her house in July of 2003, she no longer owns real estate, car or anything. She was on a Debt Management plan to pay off her credit cards, but due to recent...

Debt of deceased mother [ 2 Answers ]

My mother passed away with a large credit card debt and very little assets. Would I be held responsible and would can the creditor take me to court?

View more questions Search