Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phoenix1664 Posts: 226, Reputation: 19

Sep 19, 2009, 03:36 AM
    Keeping partner overseas happy
    I have recently started a relationship with amazing woman, and it's going very well in my mind. We have met eachother's parents, I visit her each weekend and we generally get on very well together, happy days :)

However, I am in the Armed Forces and obviously my vocation requires me to be away for a certain amount of time, often in large chunks.

My partner has her own life and so isn't dependent on me, and so is as understanding to my situation as she can be, but I would still like to show her that I am thinking of her and miss her very much while I am away.

She writes me letters and we talk online irregularly, but are there any poignant gestures you can recommend that will fill the void, so to speak. We haven't said the 'l' word yet, but we are probably closer than either of us will let on and I do miss her, and she has said the same.

Any generic advice would be appreciated, and especially from those who have served overseas themselves,

Ta,
    Big Dog
    zippit Posts: 693, Reputation: 117
    -

Sep 19, 2009, 04:59 AM

Hello big

Question was up over a hour with no reply so I thought you deserved something ,it's a toughy

All you can do is try to reach her,here on a level that shows you put a lot of thought in it

I won several hearts being creative
    Creativity shows thoughtfulness,shows heart
    So talk with your comrades,find a event in her life birthday,promotion a bad day anything
    And acknowledge it with flowers ,ballons,a call if money is tight

Good luck
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Sep 19, 2009, 06:06 AM
    Communication is key in a long distance relationship. Just focus on talking to each other, getting to know each othe better and most importantly enjoying the conversations that you have on the phone.

Emails are great too, to maintain a connection. However, you should keep in mind that since you are apart, you will be building your own lives, so it's important to give each other some space and not constantly call each other.

Try reading some long distance guides:

http://www.depression-guide.com/rela...tance-tips.htm
    http://www.perfect-relationship.com/...onship/ldr.htm
    http://lovesagame.com/10-rules-to-ma...ionships-work/
    Just Looking Posts: 1,610, Reputation: 480
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2009, 06:17 AM
    My good friends have recently gone into a long distance relationship as she went away for a Masters program. They are using Skype. All you need is webcams, which you get get for as little as $50 each. You can download Skype for free and the sessions are free. They talk daily and love it. You see each other and hear each other's voices, and they say the talking part is better than being on cell.
    phoenix1664 Posts: 226, Reputation: 19

Sep 20, 2009, 08:10 PM

Well this is for a friend and me the only problem is you get max 30 minutes a week for phone calls and internet is rare to get for long at all but I know what you all mean and thanks for the advice well I trainied mine better than my friend so here's hoping thanks all

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

She has to be happy in order to make me happy. [ 20 Answers ]

Around August 5th of last year, my girlfriend and I broke up for the first time. We spent the next two months on and off.. until we got back together in early October. Things have been great since then... until the last couple of days. I sensed that something was wrong, and today it was confirmed....

Can you run a business overseas while on an H1B [ 1 Answers ]

I am Swedish, living in Northern California and I am on an H1B. I work for a community hospital in the US. I would like to start a business overseas. It would be an online fashion accessory business aimed at the UK market. Am I legally able to do this while on an H1B?

Wedding overseas [ 3 Answers ]

I am hosting a wedding reception here in the US for my daughter and her new husband, who will be living overseas. Because of the huge expense of shipping items overseas, it would be nice if guests knew to bring monetary gifts. Is there any way that I can include this in the invitation?

Happy Passover, Happy Easter! [ 22 Answers ]

I just wanted to wish all my friends on the board greetings for the spring season... If you're Jewish like my family, a very Happy Pesach and Good Seder! If you're Christian, a very Happy Easter! If you have some other religious practice that I've missed, please add it here if you like,...

View more questions Search