Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scarymonkey Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2009, 01:11 AM
    Flash drive issues on Vista
    Hello there. I have an PNY 4.0Gb flash drive USB that I use to go between my Mac and my laptop because my network went down. The flash drive was acting up so I erased it in my disk utility as a DOS-FAT on my mac. Then, when I put it into the Vista Laptop it asked me to FORMAT the disk. Fine, I did that, but it will ONLY let me format 200MB and now the disk reads as though there are ONLY 200 Mb on the disk. This is frustrating as I have to move several larger files. Can anyone help me figure out how to get the Flash drive reading correctly again. Thank you.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Sep 18, 2009, 07:00 AM

In Vista with the flash drive plugged in, right click My Computer and go to Computer Management. Click on Disk Management (it might be listed under one of the other options on the left side). What does it say next to the flash drive? It should list all your partitions there.

Sep 18, 2009, 07:07 AM

I did check in the disk utility. Oddly enough it says that the drivers were up to date and that the device was working correctly. I tried uninstalling the drive and reinstalling, both immediately and after reboot of system. I tried going in during "safe" mode and that also yielded no results. I'm baffled. Although now the drive shows up as two drives on my mac. But only one drive of 200 mb on the PC.

Sep 18, 2009, 07:07 AM
    Sorry I meant in the device manager, my bad.

Sep 18, 2009, 07:11 AM
    Ah yes in the drive manager it shows the device as partitioned, but it only has the small chunk labeled as a drive.

Sep 18, 2009, 07:16 AM
    Any time I attempt to change it, I get a message saying I need to refresh the screen or restart the computer first. It won't allow me to access that piece of the drive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flash drive no volume [ 6 Answers ]

I have 16gig usb flash drive when inserted no volume is recognised and windows can't determine what size it is so natural won't allow to be formatted when I go too the drive letter I go too properties then go to volume and click on populate under unallocated space it shows the 16 gig where it...

USB Flash Drive [ 4 Answers ]

What is the largest GB that a USB Flash Drive come in?

Flash drive [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I cannot install flash drive (USB) in Windows'98, is simply cannot detect it every time I connect a flash to my PC. Can suggest how to use a flash with Windows'98? Thank you all in advance.

Flash drive won't format [ 8 Answers ]

I recently purchased a 16gb flash drive. When I got it I loaded enough videos on it to fill it up so I could transfer them. The system was windows 98 on a dell optiplex. I only used it once or twice since putting the videos on and never had a problem. A few weeks later ended up getting a virus on...

How do I unprotect a flash drive? [ 1 Answers ]

How do I unprotect (disable write protection) on a flash drive with no external write protection switch. The drive is a PNY 4GB Attaché enhanced for ReadyBoost which is what it was used for one time in Vista. I wish to format the drive or eliminate the write protection so I can use it for other...

View more questions Search