Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    woody470 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2009, 07:57 PM
    Non-biological father wanting to sign off rights so the biological father
    I was pressured into signing as the father to my now ex girlfriends baby, she's now back with the biological father and we're trying to find out how I can sign the rights over so that the biological father can have rights of his baby. How would we go about signing off my rights, and would anything happen to me?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2009, 05:37 AM

Depends on the State - you and the new boyfriend also would need DNA testing (if you can, in fact, remove your name from the birth certificate) because the Courts have little patience for "I'm the father, no, I'm the father."

Sep 18, 2009, 07:00 AM

He did the DNA test and the results came back that he was the biological father
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2009, 07:02 AM

What State?

Sep 18, 2009, 07:08 AM

Connecticut
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2009, 10:15 AM

Was the DNA test court ordered? If so, it would have to have been part of a paternity hearing establishing his rights.

If he is pushing to become the legal father, chances are you will have little to do with the process if you don't want to contest it.

Sep 18, 2009, 11:14 AM
    No it wasn't court ordered. How would I be able to go about that because I live in another state and I don't have the means to get down there to do anything.
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2009, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by woody470 View Post
    no it wasn't court ordered. how would i be able to go about that because i live in another state and i don't have the means to get down there to do anything.
    I suppose the most important question is what does the biological father want to do with all of this?

Its his right to request paternity. The other option is that the mother file for child support and you refuse based on paternity. You will be ordered to take a DNA test and if found to not be the biological, you can request to be removed from the B/C.

Furthermore, you can request to disestablish paternity.

Chapter 4. PATERNITY LITIGATION

Is there some sort of child support that you are ordered to pay? If you being the legal father is not creating a problem, there is no rush to get it changed is there?

Sep 18, 2009, 11:28 AM

He wants paternity of her, and I guess she's pregnant again by him.
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2009, 11:33 AM
    he wants paternity of her, and i guess she's pregnant again by him.
    Really, the ball is in his court then. He need to go to court and request paternity and modification of the birth certificate.

It's a million times easier if he does it.

Sep 18, 2009, 11:36 AM

So all he'd have to do is take the results and let them know what's up
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2009, 11:56 AM
    so all he'd have to do is take the results and let them know what's up
    The results are only for personal information. He can frame the results or throw them out. A court will order its own test.

So basically he just needs to go let them know what he wants. A lawyer would make it easier for him, but really, its not necessary.

Sep 18, 2009, 12:10 PM

Would anything happen to me?
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2009, 12:18 PM
    would anything happen to me?
    You would receive a summons telling you what was going on and giving you the option to appear/contest it.

But nothing bad would happen... you didn't do anything wrong.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Sep 20, 2009, 12:36 PM

Sec. 46b-168. (Formerly Sec. 52-184). Genetic tests when paternity is at issue. Assessment of costs. (a) In any proceeding in which the question of paternity is at issue the court or a family support magistrate, on motion of any party, may order genetic tests which shall mean deoxyribonucleic acid tests, to be performed by a hospital, accredited laboratory, qualified physician or other qualified person designated by the court, to determine whether the putative father or husband is the father of the child. The results of such tests, whether ordered under this section or required by the IV-D agency under section 46b-168a, shall be admissible in evidence to either establish definite exclusion of the putative father or husband or as evidence that he is the father of the child without the need for foundation testimony or other proof of authenticity or accuracy, unless objection is made in writing not later than twenty days prior to the hearing at which such results may be introduced in evidence.

(b) In any proceeding in which the question of paternity is at issue, the results of such genetic tests, whether ordered under this section or required by the IV-D agency under section 46b-168a, shall constitute a rebuttable presumption that the putative father is the father of the child if the results of such tests indicate a ninety-nine per cent or greater probability that he is the father of the child, provided the petitioner has presented evidence that sexual intercourse occurred between the mother and the putative father during the period in which the child was conceived.

(c) The costs of making tests provided by this section shall be chargeable against the party making the motion, provided if the court finds that such party is a low-income obligor, as defined in the child support guidelines established pursuant to section 46b-215a, or is otherwise indigent and unable to pay such costs, such costs shall be paid by the state.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Sep 20, 2009, 12:48 PM

There is another way but you can check it with a lawyer in Connecticut.The mother,father and you have to go to the Court where you have to sign denial of paternity and the father to sign acknowledgment of paternity.It works in Pa,Ny and some other states.Honestly-no one is interested who will be listed as a father merely a father to be listed...

/UNIF. PARENTAGE ACT §§ 301 to 305. For the acknowledgement to be valid, the mother
    And the man claiming to be the biological father must sign an acknowledgement of paternity and
    The presumed father must sign a denial of paternity. Id. This process is binding on all parties./

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get my daughter's biological father to sign over his rights? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 13 month old child with a guy who does not deny she is his but has never seen her or given me a dime. Im getting married for the first time to a great guy and he wants to adopt her. How can I get him to sign to over rights her father does not want to but also does not want to give me any...

How do I get the biological father to sign over his leagal rights? [ 1 Answers ]

I have two children, oldest 11 and youngest 5. Their biological father has not had no form of contact with them in over 3 years. We were never married, and my oldest I didn't put his name on the birth certificate. The youngest has his last name and he signed the birth certificate. He pays about...

Non-biological father rights [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: My nephew,20 yrs.old< started dating a girl who was 7 months pregnant.she was arrested and was in the county jail when she went into labor.They took her to the hospital where my nephew went with her.He ended up cutting the cord and all and then signed the birth cerificate as the father....

Does a non-biological father have rights? [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter is now 7yrs old and she has never seen her biological father. I've been married for 4yrs now and my husband has been raising my daughter since she was 2yrs old. She really only knows him as her father, she calls him dad. She has a 3yr old sister from this marriage, basically we're a...

Do I have rights with my biological father [ 9 Answers ]

This is a very long story. Basically, I found out when I was 30 that the man who raised me was not my biological father. He loved me as his own and he is (was, passed away when 16) my Dad and Father. However, my entire family knew about this including my deceased father. My bio-father was my...

View more questions Search