Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HAWKEYE304 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2009, 03:31 PM
    Came to the US as a child and now I am stuck. How do I fix this?
    I was brought to the US when I was 9 from Jamaica. My father never took care of my documentation and now he has messed up his own so he can no longer help me. I am 30 years old now and I don't know what to do. How do I gain legal status here so that I can move on with my life and start college to finally be happy?
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Sep 18, 2009, 11:30 AM

Are you related to any USC's? Did anyone ever file anything for you or your parents prior to April 30, 2001?
    METERRE Posts: 206, Reputation: 22

Sep 18, 2009, 05:12 PM
    I know there have been people with that problem... one just applied for a work permit and got it, and now is fully documented and has their family members with them. I should mention that, that person in particular came to the US when already an adult. I do not know how they did it but, I think that with some research you could find a way. So I'm thinking the fact that you were brought here as a child is something that could be taken more into consideration. Best of Luck.

Sep 18, 2009, 08:37 PM
    I have Uncle's and Aunt's that are USC's. I even have a younger sister that is a USC but she is in the army off in Iraq.
    cynthia1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2009, 11:28 PM

I am 21 years old was brought here as a baby so I feel you it sucks I feel lost and helpless :(

Sep 19, 2009, 05:31 PM
    There are resources available... such as advocates who will provide free info and help. One is called The Immigrant Rights Project, but is located in the northwest, so not sure if there is a national one. Have you ever just tried speaking to an immigration lawyer/attorney and telling them about your case?

Oct 15, 2009, 03:43 PM

I have spoken to a Lawyer that can only tell me to go get married to a US citizen. This is not an option right now.

Oct 15, 2009, 09:23 PM

Well, sometimes attorneys maybe don't tell you there are free resources available... I don't know, but like I said, there are advocates who provide info for free and will help also... if you haven't already, you should look for some. And of course do some more research. I'm sure there might be a way... the fact that you were brought here as a child should be more in favor for you than if you had come by your own as an adult. Or I think. I really hope you can find someone who can help better.
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Oct 16, 2009, 09:03 AM

There are no special laws that apply for your situation that would grant permanent residence based on entry as a child and no actions taken by parent.

You will need to find a way to get permanent residence, either (1) family-based or (2) employment based. Even so, unless it is family-based, you will need to see if you are eligible to apply here in the US or if you will be required to return to your home country to apply for the immigrant visa and a waiver for the immigration violation.

If marriage to a USC is not possible, and if not parents are LPR's or USC, then consult with an immigration attorney that can do a section 245(I) analysis and explain labor certification to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Support - 2 child living at separate parents - 1 child turning 18 soon. [ 6 Answers ]

I will try not to make this too long but I went through a 3 year court battle with my ex with our 2 kids who are now 17 (Daughter) and 15 (Son). My son has been living with his dad since he was like 9 because I let him. Court battle was dropped due to judge thinking my ex was lying after 3 years...

Stuck with Non-bio child [ 47 Answers ]

Ok here we go. My fiance' has been separated from his wife for two years now and divorce time is finally here.(thanks to her). Anyway they share two kids together one that is his and a 13 years old that is not well when she was 7 her signed her birth cert to change her last name to his and now they...

Child care expense credit ffor a resident alien child with ITIN [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a resident alien on a J1 (do not get W2) while my husband is on J2 and gets W2. Can I claim child care expense credit for my resident alien son who has a ITIN? I was wondering this since I might not qualify for earned income but my husband income does, can we claim the child care expense...

View more questions Search