Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 10:27 PM
    So, What's in Your Tossed Lettuce Salad or Salad Containing Greens?
    Hi, All!

What I'm wanting to know is what you might have in your salad where the main ingredient is some kind of lettuce or greens or combinations of the two. The main ingredient needs to be some kind of green, leafy things, though.

For me, I like darker types of lettuce for my salads. I also like spinach salads. In either of those types, I might have cheese, bits of ham or bacon, mushrooms, sliced carrots, minced onions, minced garlic, fresh ground black pepper and a dressing. Those are things that I usually have readily available in my kitchen.

What do you like in yours, please?

Thanks!
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 10:37 PM

Avocado and prawns-or crab!
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 10:48 PM
    Hi, amicon!

What are Prawns, please? I'll have to try avocado and crab!

Also, does avocado have much taste? I don't think that I've ever had any.

Thanks!
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2009, 10:54 PM

Red peppers and bay shrimp (little tiny ones)
    Green goddess dressing--a ton of parsley and tarragon
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 11:07 PM

Sorry -English English-prawns are shrimp-avocado s got a nice creamy texture and need a bit of freshly ground pepper to spice them up.:-)
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2009, 11:11 PM

Wow, you've never had avocado? People either love them or hate them. I like to eat a whole one myself in front of the TV.

If it's in a salad, yum! The best salad addition is Jicama, to me. They're a bit of a pain to peel but well worth it. Then add tomatoes from your garden and Litehouse Bleu cheese dressing.

Oh, and don't forget the feta cheese. Then a little oil, lime juice and salt are all the dressing needed.
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 11:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amicon View Post
    sorry -English English-prawns are shrimp-avocado s got a nice creamy texture and need a bit of freshly ground pepper to spice them up.:-)
    So, different kinds of spices and dressings should "help" the avocado to become a delicious member of the "family of salad?"

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 11:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking View Post
    red peppers and bay shrimp (little tiny ones)
    Green goddess dressing--a ton of parsley and tarragon
    Hi, asking!

What's the difference between bay shrimp and other shrimp, please? Is it just because they're tiny?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 11:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie View Post
    Wow, you've never had avocado? People either love them or hate them. I like to eat a whole one myself in front of the TV.

If it's in a salad, yum! The best salad addition is Jicama, to me. They're a bit of a pain to peel but well worth it. Then add tomatoes from your garden and Litehouse Bleu cheese dressing.

Oh, and don't forget the feta cheese. Then a little oil, lime juice and salt are all the dressing needed.
    Hi, simoneaugie!

Nope, I don't think that I've ever had an avocado. I pass them in the supermaket all the time and think about sticking the toothpicks in them to put them into a glass of water after having cut a little bit off the bottom of them in order to make a plant out of them!

Now that I think about it though, when you slice an avocado, do the slices have a whole lot of dark seeds around the inner, outside edge of them.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 11:26 PM

Yes Clough-spice it up and become an avocado fan!I'm getting hungry now and I just had breakfast!Its 730 am here.
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 11:26 PM
    Then a little oil, lime juice and salt are all the dressing needed.
    To me, lime juice and salt sound like they would go better on something like a lettuce salad, but do they also taste good on different varieties of lettuce and other greens?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2009, 11:27 PM

Avocado doesn't need to be flavored with something. It has a very distinctive flavor and texture. It's creamy and soft, a perfect contrast for crunchy, more flavorful things.

If you have ever had guacamole, that is mashed avocado flavored with garlic, salt and some salsa.
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 11:29 PM

Love that too!:-).
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 11:31 PM
    Yes, I've had a lot of guacamole! Boy, am I bad!

I try to have it on certain things that I get at Mexican restuarants!

Did you see my post where I mentioned about the possible seeds arrangement of an avocado?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2009, 11:33 PM
    I think the fruit you're thinking of with lots of little black seeds in the middle is papaya. Yes avocado is the one with the big seed in it, green flesh and wrinkly black or greenish skin. The easiest way to get the skin off is to cut in in quarters, leaving the seed in it. (The seed is acidic and keeps the green part from oxidizing to black.) Take each quarter into your hand and peel the skin off it. The seed is easy to pop out of one of the quarter sections.

Hey, those toothpicks in a glass are a pain. If you do save the seed, plant it in moist soil. They do come up that way.
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 11:42 PM
    I think the fruit you're thinking of with lots of little black seeds in the middle is papaya. Yes avocado is the one with the big seed in it, green flesh and wrinkly black or greenish skin. The easiest way to get the skin off is to cut in in quarters, leaving the seed in it. (The seed is acidic and keeps the green part from oxidizing to black.) Take each quarter into your hand and peel the skin off of it. The seed is easy to pop out of one of the quarter sections.

Hey, those toothpicks in a glass are a pain. If you do save the seed, plant it in moist soil. They do come up that way.
    Thanks for the instructions on how to prepare the avocado for eating, simoneaugie!

I think that you're correct about what I was describing as being a papaya. I've had lots of those!

Around where I live, avocadoes make a better house plant because of the harsh winters.

Thanks!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 17, 2009, 05:57 AM
    Yum... Salads...

Greens, lettuce and spinach, banana pepper rings, grilled chicken, green and red pepper, red onion, bacon bits (the real thing, not the stuff in the jar), crutons, and Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing (the kind you make yourself)... Did I forget anything?
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2009, 07:00 AM

No that's sums it up nicely.:-)
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2009, 01:15 PM
    Hi, J_9!

Is there a reason that you might choose red onions over other types, please? Red onions do happen to be my favorite type of onion because they're so strong in taste.

Thanks!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 17, 2009, 01:17 PM
    I just like the flavor of a red onion... it's sweeter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HDTV- Sony WEGA-KV32HS510- Reddish tint-no greens-can't adjust [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Im new to this site. Have a HD Sony WEGA, After watching "Journey to the center of the earth" DVD noticed Color was off. Football game for example, had grey grass. No green. Everything seemed reddish and pinkish. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Jim

Potato Salad add ons. [ 7 Answers ]

I have to take a potato salad to a gathering tomorrow. I won't have time make one from scratch so I will buy one at the deli. Does anyone have an idea of what I can add to a store bought potato salad to make it more interesting and delicious? Thank you, I appreciate any help I can get.

Lettuce [ 4 Answers ]

Any tips of keeping lettuce fresh in the crisper Section of the refrigerator. Mine starting turn brown Quickly.

Manipulated tossed aside [ 8 Answers ]

I have suffered panic disorder and depression for over 22 yrs now. I just got out of an abusive relationship of 8 years, I have not contacted this man but he is making me so sad because he stopped the car as I was walking and he said (like the past 4 months we are apart never happened) "I have a...

View more questions Search