Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Just Looking Posts: 1,610, Reputation: 480
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2009, 11:18 AM
    In the past, I never liked my salads. I started gardening for the first time this year and I feel like I have perfected the perfect salad. :) I go out daily and pull leaves from about 8 varieties of lettuce. I put in two radishes (one regular and one bell) and a few slices of tomato - both from my garden. Sometimes I'll add a couple of slices of cucumber. I top it with a couple of slices of avocado, pine nuts, pecans and bleu cheese dressing. I probably have this 5-6 times a week and absolutely love it every time.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2009, 11:34 AM

I like to put berries in my spinach salad. I think it's nearing the end of the berry season now, since I've been having a harder time finding sweet berries. But I like to load my spinach salad up with strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries. And sometimes even mango and apples. When I put fruit in with the greens I usually make my own dressing using yogurt (I like greek yogurt because it's nice and thick), orange juice and a little honey. I like to throw in candied pecans or candied walnuts sometimes too.
    FlipOverBuggie Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2009, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Yes, I've had a lot of guacamole! Boy, am I bad!!

I try to have it on certain things that I get at Mexican restuarants!

Did you see my post where I mentioned about the possible seeds arrangement of an avocado?

Thanks!
    I think you're thinking of kiwi!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 05:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Looking View Post
    In the past, I never liked my salads. I started gardening for the first time this year and I feel like I have perfected the perfect salad. :) I go out daily and pull leaves from about 8 varieties of lettuce. I put in two radishes (one regular and one bell) and a few slices of tomato - both from my garden. Sometimes I'll add a couple of slices of cucumber. I top it with a couple of slices of avocado, pine nuts, pecans and bleu cheese dressing. I probably have this 5-6 times a week and absolutely love it every time.
    Eight varieties of lettuce! That's like me and my putting four or five different kinds of cheese in my macaroni and cheese. I do that most of the time.

I have to avoid the tree nuts though, because I'm highly allergic to them. Others that aren't, might enjoy them in their salads.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 05:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by justcurious55 View Post
    i like to put berries in my spinach salad. i think it's nearing the end of the berry season now, since i've been having a harder time finding sweet berries. but i like to load my spinach salad up with strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, blueberries. and sometimes even mango and apples. when i put fruit in witht the greens i usually make my own dressing using yogurt (i like greek yogurt because it's nice and thick), orange juice and a little honey. i like to throw in candied pecans or candied walnuts sometimes too.
    I'll have to try the berry thing in a spinach salad. Never tried that before...

I'd be interested in you elaborating more about making your own dressing using yogurt, if you would be willing to do that?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 05:16 PM
    Originally Posted by Clough
    Yes, I've had a lot of guacamole! Boy, am I bad!!

I try to have it on certain things that I get at Mexican restuarants!

Did you see my post where I mentioned about the possible seeds arrangement of an avocado?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipOverBuggie View Post
    I think you're thinking of kiwi!
    Hi, FlipOverBuggie!

You just might be correct about that! I'll have to buy both a papaya and a kiwi at the grocery store and check them out!

Thanks!
    rockie100 Posts: 313, Reputation: 64

Sep 19, 2009, 06:21 PM

strawberrys, red onion, greens/lettuce and for the dressing
    1/2 C. sugar
    2 Tb. Poppy seeds
    3/4 C. mayo
    2 Tb. vinegar
    Mix=yum

Sep 19, 2009, 06:25 PM
    Gorganzola cheese, red onion, candied walnuts or pecans, red grapes or dried cranberries and for the dressing Balsamic Vinegar
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 09:44 PM
    Hi, rockie100!

Now, that's a really different but interesting variation on a lettuce/greens salad!

What kind of cheese is gorganzola, please?

Thanks for sharing!

Sep 19, 2009, 10:11 PM

My pleasure Clough,
    It's a Italian blue cheese made from cow or goats unskimmed milk. You crumble it over the salad. Its creamy, a little salty, It has a nice bite to it. Im from Minnesota, I just love cheese.
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2009, 11:01 PM

To make the yogurt dressing I start with some plain greek yogurt. How much all depends on how much you plan to serve. So if it'd just for me or just me and 1 other I'll take about 1/4 of a cup. Then about 2-3 teaspoons of honey, and about a tablespoon of orange juice and mix it up. You can always adjust it to make it more or less sweet and add more or less juice to get it to a consistency that you like. I like making this one because you really can't mess it up.

I love extra cheesey mac and cheese. Want to share your recipe? :)
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2009, 11:03 PM
    For when you buy your papaya... I recently tried a red caribbean papaya for the first time. It's one of my new favorite fruits now! The way I was taught to prepare it was squeezing a little lime over it and mixing the papaya chuncks in with greek apricot mango yogurt. But it was good by itself too.
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 11:28 PM
    Hi, justcurious55!

Where does one find Greek apricot mango yogurt, please? I've never seen that around where I shop.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2009, 11:36 PM
    to make the yogurt dressing i start with some plain greek yogurt. how much all depends on how much you plan to serve. so if it'd just for me or just me and 1 other i'll take about 1/4 of a cup. then about 2-3 teaspoons of honey, and about a tablespoon of orange juice and mix it up. you can always adjust it to make it more or less sweet and add more or less juice to get it to a consistency that you like. i like making this one because you really can't mess it up.

i love extra cheesey mac n cheese. wanna share your recipe? :)
    Thanks for the recipe for the yogurt dressing, justcurious55! :)

Sure, I'd love to share what I do with macaroni and cheese! But, that is something that probably should be on another thread since this thread is about salads made of various kinds of lettuce and greens.

But, maybe mac n cheese can work with a green type of salad.. I don't know...

None-the-less, a thread devoted to macaroni and cheese, I'm sure, would be much fun and informative!

Thanks!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2009, 06:51 AM
    Hello C:

I'm a lover of the classic Caesar Salad... I made one the other day in honor of the closing of Caesars Restaurant in Tijuana, Mexico where it was invented.

You got to use a wooden bowl, and wooden salad spoons... Rub the whole cloves of garlic on bowl. After that, sprinkle a little salt on them, add lots of anchovies, a bit of anchovy oil and crush the garlic and anchovy into a paste with a couple forks. The salt will help in the grinding...

Add a dolop of dijon mustard so the mixture will form an emulsion. Run a bottle of worstershire sauce around the rim of the bowl ONCE. Add some red wine vinagar, maybe a touch of basalmic vinagar, a coddeled egg, and the juice of a lemon. Mix vigoursly until the mixture emulsifies. Keep mixing while you add about twice as much salad oil as you did vinagar. Then add the hearts of romaine. Toss with croûtons, parmasan cheese, and lots of freshly ground black pepper.

Enjoy.

PS> I have a lot of misspellings in my post. I don't know why. It's TOO many to copy each word and paste it somewhere else... It would be EASIER if we had a spellcheck here.
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2009, 11:00 AM

I got to trader joe's for the greek apricot mango yogurt. I know other brands have greek yogurt but I haven't found another one with that flavor. I like the greek yogurt because it's really thick. But I'm sure any favorite yogurt would work.
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2009, 11:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello C:

I'm a lover of the classic Caesar Salad... I made one the other day in honor of the closing of Caesars Restaurant in Tijuana, Mexico where it was invented.

You gotta use a wooden bowl, and wooden salad spoons... Rub the whole cloves of garlic on bowl. After that, sprinkle a little salt on them, add lots of anchovies, a bit of anchovy oil and crush the garlic and anchovy into a paste with a couple forks. The salt will help in the grinding...

Add a dolop of dijon mustard so the mixture will form an emulsion. Run a bottle of worstershire sauce around the rim of the bowl ONCE. Add some red wine vinagar, maybe a touch of basalmic vinagar, a coddeled egg, and the juice of a lemon. Mix vigoursly until the mixture emulsifies. Keep mixing while you add about twice as much salad oil as you did vinagar. Then add the hearts of romaine. Toss with croutons, parmasan cheese, and lots of freshly ground black pepper.

Enjoy.

PS> I have a lot of misspellings in my post. I dunno why. It's TOO many to copy each word and paste it somewhere else.... It would be EASIER if we had a spellcheck here.
    Hi, ex!

I'm glad that you've joined with us here!

I too, love the Caeser salads! Is there a particular reason for using things to prepare them out of wood, please?

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2009, 11:45 AM
    i got to trader joe's for the greek apricot mango yogurt. i know other brands have greek yogurt but i haven't found another one with that flavor. i like the greek yogurt because it's really thick. but i'm sure any favorite yogurt would work.
    Hi again, justcurious55!

Way down South, and I mean like down around the Equator, I've heard that they actually drink yogurt rather than needing a spoon to facilitate consuming it.

If the Greek yogurt was runny, would that work for the type of dressing that you like to make?

Thanks!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2009, 11:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Is there a particular reason for using things to prepare them out of wood, please?
    Hello C:

I'm sure there is, but I don't know. It's the way they had us do it at the restaurant I worked in. I'm sure it's to infuse the bowl with some garlic essence or something... Frankly, I can't see any difference between a coddled egg and a raw one either, but my palate is shot.

excon
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2009, 10:06 PM

If you were going to use a runnier yogurt, I would probably see if there were any flavored ones and add less juice, or maybe even not any juice.

Two things come to mind when I think of drinkable yogurt. I think of the "smoothies". Which I don't really know why they're called smoothies because too me they're really nothing like a smoothie. Or kefir. Technically kefir is cultured milk but it's often mistakenly called drinkable yogurt. I prefer that over the other ones because it tends to not be as overwhelmingly sweet. It comes in all sorts of flavors. I like raspberry or pomegranate best :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HDTV- Sony WEGA-KV32HS510- Reddish tint-no greens-can't adjust [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Im new to this site. Have a HD Sony WEGA, After watching "Journey to the center of the earth" DVD noticed Color was off. Football game for example, had grey grass. No green. Everything seemed reddish and pinkish. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Jim

Potato Salad add ons. [ 7 Answers ]

I have to take a potato salad to a gathering tomorrow. I won't have time make one from scratch so I will buy one at the deli. Does anyone have an idea of what I can add to a store bought potato salad to make it more interesting and delicious? Thank you, I appreciate any help I can get.

Lettuce [ 4 Answers ]

Any tips of keeping lettuce fresh in the crisper Section of the refrigerator. Mine starting turn brown Quickly.

Manipulated tossed aside [ 8 Answers ]

I have suffered panic disorder and depression for over 22 yrs now. I just got out of an abusive relationship of 8 years, I have not contacted this man but he is making me so sad because he stopped the car as I was walking and he said (like the past 4 months we are apart never happened) "I have a...

View more questions Search