Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guineapigging Posts: 16, Reputation: 1
    -

Sep 16, 2009, 02:52 PM
    Bored student needs alternatives
    Hello all,

I just started high school one week ago today. Already I know I cannot handle a year of it. I try my hardest to be as optimistic as I can. People tell me to "give it time" but I don't have nine months to waste! I am wasting my days there. I love to learn. I know what I want to learn and I have lots of alternative plans in mind if people would just let me use them. I am not benefitting at all from the public high school I'm at now. At the end of every day I feel a little bit dumber, actually, and very bad when I come to the realization of all the time I just wasted.

There are other things, too. I have a huge noise intolerance problem. No doctor or therapist has been able to tell me how to fix it because they don't understand it! But it is very severe and at times it's unbearable. Whenever I hear a noise that I hate, I feel the strain and stress of it in my eyes. I am very worried about going blind and damaging my eyes. I will not risk my vision, health and well-being over school.

I have been told many times that my maturity level is far above most of my peers. I am not saying this to brag at all, but when I look at the behavior and listen to the speech of others my age, I realize that it is true. It is a bad thing at the same time, because I don't have any friends. I know a lot of people have a hard time with high school, but they all have great friends to even that out! But making friends can come second, because I have other things to think about right now.

That is pretty much my story. I want to take control of my own education and I should have a right to do so. Anyone know anything about online schooling? I'm 14, can I get a GED in the state of Virginia? I know this was long, but thank you for reading if you did.
    thadddeus Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2009, 05:04 PM

Hi GP -

Believe me I can sympathize, because I was once in your shoes. Public school can be a difficult thing to bear for those who are, shall we say, ahead of the curve.

It's great that you have a love for learning and motivation to do so. Try not to think of your time in school as wasted - there are definitely learning opportunities there, although they may not be teaching what you're interested in learning. You can always bring a book and read about something you're interested in, or write, draw or plan for what you want to do after school- your imagination is always your escape route from any boring situation. Direct your energy toward learning more about yourself and what interests you, but realize that you still need to jump through the hoops. It's still possible to have a successful life if you don't do well in school, but it's much easier to follow the path laid out for you than to blaze your own trail.

I know that 9 months seems like an eternity at your age and you feel like you don't have the time to waste, but believe me, at your point in life you've got nothing *but* time... much like a prisoner. :)

If I were you I wouldn't be trying for a GED... A GED isn't good for much. Instead get in touch with a counselor at your school or local community college and ask about the requirements and rules for early transfer to the community college. I don't know much about your online education options, but I know there are plenty of places for self-directed education online, and probably some computer-based homeschooling programs that you could get enrolled in.

I'll let you in on a little secret - high school isn't just about learning what they have to teach. It's also about learning how to make friends, cooperate with others, and most importantly how to jump through the hoops of an organization. Everywhere you go in life, you're going to have to deal with bureaucracy and having to do things 'their way'. Sometimes they know what their doing, and sometimes they don't. Sometimes 'their way' is the best way (but usually it isn't). Regardless, it's usually better to just jump through the hoops and then go ahead with whatever you want to do rather than wasting all your energy fighting the system.

Sorry for rambling, but try to remember that there are a lot of people out there that want to help you, even though you might not like what they say. Try to remember that they might know something that you don't. :)

Also, MAKE SOME FRIENDS. Easier said than done I know (I've been there), but it can be done, and it will make your life better - having other people to share with, identify with and learn from is very important. You might live in a hick town full of redneck idiots (or not, I don't know... all the better if you don't), but making friends requires opening up a little of yourself and making yourself more vulnerable, which can be hard, and puts you at risk of being hurt... which is why it's hard. But you should still do it. I think the internet makes it easier, both by making people with common interests easier to find, and making it easier to open up to people.

Last thing (I swear) stop worrying about your eyes and going blind. What's happening is just your body's way of experiencing stress. Worrying about it will just make it worse. What you should be thinking about (and preferably talking to someone... a friend, counselor, someone) about is the underlying feelings that go along with these things that make you feel stressed. The better you understand them, the better you can deal with them.

If it's only been a week, there's no way that you can be fully 'settled in' yet. "Give it time" means to be patient. Take a deep breath. Try to relax. It sounds corny, but read online about meditating - it can help you learn to manage your feelings and control your impulses better.

Try to remember that lots of people, your teachers, hopefully your parents, even people like me, whom you've never met and live thousands of miles away, care about you and want you to succeed. Good luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 16, 2009, 05:21 PM

Online education falls under home school and is a good choice for the right parents. What is your parents view point on this and have you discussed it with them
    setexenv Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Sep 22, 2009, 01:09 PM

Oh, if we all had lives and jobs where boredom didn't exist, everything would be just peachy. It is rare indeed that a person is not somewhat bored in their regular, day-to-day jobs and lives. I don't want to come off as being critical of your situation, however, no matter what you do in life, you will need the skills that are taught in high school. I know people who get by without them, but it's extremely rare. Perhaps your real problem is a lack of motivation? Something in high school has to motivate you. Perhaps you are more mechanically inclined, scientifically inclined, or history oriented, or artistically inclined. Perhaps your high school can involve you in some of these programs. However, I don't know anyone who isn't motivated by some aspect of education, unless they are just plain lazy (sorry). There may be lots of non-traditional educational opportunities out there for you, but everyone needs the basics that high schools teach. You never mentioned what these other plans are that you have. Also, I recommend getting counselling from your high school counsellor or from a private education counsellor outside the high school to address your issues with conventional high school education. Perhaps they have a viable solution for you. PS: I am not an educator or part of the education system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to not be bored? [ 5 Answers ]

See Im in sixth grade<going into 6th grade>and school is so boring the teachers always teach us stuff we already know and I'd rather do it myself! Im in gifted services and I know things ahead of time!! :( :( :confused:

Alternatives to sex? [ 7 Answers ]

Since I can't seem to win my boyfriend over in bed, is there anyway I can bring my libido down... I've tried "doing it myself" but that just puts me in the mood even more, and with me being pregnant my hormones are driving me bonkers. There is absolutely no way I can change his mind so is there...

What about being bored? [ 12 Answers ]

I wrote like two things on my 5 year old already... spiritually, he speaks of the bible, God, Christ on a daily... he has been doing this since age 2. He has a keen sense of observation, and memory. Recently, he came to us to tell us he is "bored" in his kindergarten class and that his one...

My boyfriend is bored [ 4 Answers ]

I am 5 years older then my boyfriend he's only 21 but already is bored with sex we have tried just about everything he use to want it all the time but now doesn't what could be wrong

BK Alternatives [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am at a point where I have to file BK. What if I do not file BK and let the creditors sue me? What happens in order? Do I have to show up at court each time I get sued? I have no problem if they enter a judgement against me. I live in California. Thanks for your detailed explanations ...

View more questions Search