Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gcuncliff Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2009, 01:12 PM
    Store price mistake
    I found A JUICY COUTURE Velour Basic Hoodie on piperlimes website (its part of Gap, old navy etc.) that had no price I put some in my cart and placed an order which came out to free for those items. The company called me today saying it was a mistake and there canceling my order, is there anything that I can do to fight with them?
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Sep 16, 2009, 01:30 PM

Nope they don't have to do. Its more of a customer service type of thing when companies honor price mistakes. Sometimes companies will give like a 5-10% discount for the trouble Also, a lot of websites have disclaimers saying they can cancel an order even after you purchased it when shopping online.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2009, 01:35 PM

Sgt is right. If you call and complain to the customer service department (be careful how you handle it. If you start rude they'll be less inclined to want to make you happy.) you might be able to get it discounted or something like free shipping on the rest of the order. But they aren't require to.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Sep 16, 2009, 01:36 PM
    Use of their site constitutes agreement to the terms of use that they have posted.

The section on Site Transactions states:
    "We reserve the right to refuse any order you place with us. We may, in our sole discretion, limit or cancel quantities purchased per person, per household or per order. These restrictions may include orders placed by or under the same customer account, the same credit card, and/or orders that use the same billing and/or shipping address. In the event we make a change to or cancel an order, we will attempt to notify you by contacting the e-mail and/or billing address/phone number provided at the time the order was made. We reserve the right to limit or prohibit orders that, in our sole judgment, appear to be placed by dealers, resellers or distributors."

Additionally, the section on Errors, Inaccuracies, and Omissions states:
    "Occasionally there may be information on our Sites that contains typographical errors, inaccuracies, or omissions that may relate to product descriptions, pricing, promotions, offers, and availability. We reserve the right to correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions and to change or update information or cancel orders if any information on the Sites is inaccurate at any time without prior notice (including after you have submitted your order)."

You can always hire a lawyer if you can find one that will take the case, but I think you would be on weak legal footing. Plus, who expects to get something for free in a capitalistic society?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 16, 2009, 02:05 PM
    In the UK this would come under the distance selling regulations and they are bound to honour the advertised price. E&OE is no defence in law..

That being said they could simply turn round and say that it is out of stock or discontinued and therefore cancel your order in that manner.

You always have the option of small claims to sue them, but you will most likely lose.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

By mistake filed 1040 last year, How I can recover the mistake? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, My situation is, I was working on OPT with one of the company in USA and married, I asked one of my friend for guidance, he suggested me to file 1040 for tax, So I filed tax last year(2007) with 1040, and now when I research this year (2008) I came to know that I should have filed 1040NR...

Need a Name for my Store [ 6 Answers ]

Hello I am opening up a small store I will be selling new and used Clothing,shoes,purses,jewelry and misc. items I am having a hard time coming up with A name for my store any one have any ideas? Thanks

General Store Owners' own personal purchases from the store [ 1 Answers ]

We have just started to run a general store as a family partnership of 4 people. We take out what we need for our own consumption but do we need to account for this in our yearly accounts please?

View more questions Search