Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patchisback Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2003, 05:27 PM
    Toxic chemicals and pets
    Recently my wife sprayed her hair with Aqua Net unsented hair spray extra super hold. She was unaware that our dog was in the bathroom with her.
    The spray got into the dogs nose and it started caughing and gaging. Within 10 minutes the dog started seizing and convulsing. The spray contains the following:SD ALCOHOL 40-B, WATER, ISOBUTANE OR BUTANE, PROPANE, VA/CROTONATES/VINAL NEODECANOATE COPOLYMER, AMINOMETHYL PROPANOL FRAGRANCE, AMMONIUM HYDROXIDE, AMMONI7UM BENZOATE. Can any of these chemicals cause seizers in dogs or cats? Please let me know. I want to advise the manufacturer that they should put additional warnings on the can to prevent this from happening to other animals.

Thanks,

Chuck
    bushbob Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jan 19, 2003, 02:42 PM
    Toxic chemicals and pets
    They should have the warnings on the can. Kind of makes you wonder what all these things are doing to our health.
    Loretta Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2004, 08:56 AM
    Toxic chemicals and pets
    I'm not sure if that is causing my dogs seizers. But I think you should have something done if it caused your dog to have seizers. That is not very good for your dog.

Loretta
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2004, 03:04 PM
    Toxic chemicals and pets
    Some dogs, like some people, are much more sensitive to chemicals than others. It could be a coincidence, but likely the hair spray caused the convulsions. Most of those chemicals are heavier than air and would sink to the floor where the dog might get a far stronger dose than the user. Surely I don't need to suggest keeping the dog away from hair spray and other aerosols. Perhaps it might be a good idea to have the vet check the dog for permanent damage. Take the hair spray can along.

I would think if this was at all common, I would have heard of other cases. The more we warn the public of very unlikely dangers, the less attention they will pay to more likely ones. Still, it would be a good idea to contact the marketer and let them know about the problem.
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Jan 17, 2005, 10:34 PM
    How is your dog after breathing in the vapors/mist from the hair spray? I have done a lot of searches on the net regarding the chemicals in dog food/treats etc. Do yourself a favor and research these chemicals in the hair spray and see what they do to humans over the long run. I know we need certain things to clean our homes with and cars but they do not need to be toxic. What happened to the dog also happened to one of my dogs when the person I was living with sprayed the floor w/lysol and then one of my dogs walked on the wet floor and started to have tics and jerking movements. He then called me at work wondering what he should do since he didn't relate the lysol to the way my dog was acting. I yelled at him for being so stupid and doing such a thing. Be very careful w/chemicals in things as you or a loved one could end up seriously injured or possibly dead.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Adding chemicals [ 1 Answers ]

I need step by step instruction on adding chemicals to a 36" high inflatable pool. I don't know where to start after filling the pool.

Cat's eyes and reaction to chemicals in the eye [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday I was cleaning my cat's ears with a special ear cleaner I bought at a pet supply store. She shook her head before I had a chance to massage the cleaner into her ears. The cleaning solution flew all over and she ended up getting it into her eyes. She started meowing and running all over...

View more questions Search