Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 05:37 AM
    9 minutes of footage from the 9/12 tea party

How many here identify with these people?
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Sep 16, 2009, 06:52 AM
    I wonder if I would have identified more with the people he chose not to interview or editted out.

Unfortunately, he chose to do a very biased story and focus on those people and statements that supported it.
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 07:04 AM
    If those people weren't there he wouldn't have a story would he? But they were, in droves. The signs were "interesting" and all over the place.
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 07:10 AM
    More:
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2009, 07:25 AM
    NK, how about a different assessment... and not from knuckle-dragging right-winger either. Try The New Republic, which still dumps on the party but notes some other things:

On Saturday, September 12, America threw a gigantic temper tantrum in Washington D.C. Organizers called it the “largest gathering of fiscal conservatives in history,” and they’re probably right. But for an angry, anti-government fit, the march was remarkably civil...

But as much as it appeared the forces of darkness were gathering, this was also a profoundly hopeful event. The Republicans have alternatives--they brandished a reassuring stack of paper that contained all the proposals they’ve been introducing, only to be ignored by the mainstream media and crushed by Democratic leadership. And with the help of ordinary citizens, there was still time to stop the madness.

"I am actually tremendously excited to be here. This is an incredible moment,” Shadegg told the crowd. “And you know what makes it incredible? You. You make it incredible.”

Later that day, they convened again, this time at Upper Senate Park near the Capitol, for a “Physicians Rally Against Socialized Medicine.” There’s something so trustworthy about people in lab coats, and the ultra-conservative group American Association of Physicians and Surgeons had gathered their members to dramatize the point. This is when Obama really started to look bad.

“Doctors have been accused of actually mutilating their patients for financial gain,” an earnest-looking doctor named Scott Barber told the crowd, before describing his long, tortuous years spent training for his profession. “To be honest with you, I’m kind of livid.” Right! The guy next to me shouted. Lies! Cried another. “Because we do not do amputations instead of treat diabetes! We do not take out tonsils instead of treating a sore throat!”

And then, it became not only anti-doctor, but also anti-American, to suggest that the U.S. health care system even needed reform. “We have the best health care system here and everyone knows it,” said another speaker. The cheer went up: USA! USA! USA!

I have never felt more welcome as a reporter than I did at a “Meet and Tweet,” advertised as a gathering of tea partying women on the eve of the march, at the Doubletree Hotel.

“Are you a tweeter?” cried Dianne Shaw, sitting primly cross-legged, in a gray skirt set. About ten middle-aged women sat around a table crowded with empty wine glasses and a few bottles of Heineken, delicately munching mini cheeseburgers. I explained that I wasn’t, but no matter--they sat me down to join the conversation.

One of the 9/12 Project organizers’ primary claims is that their participants are political neophytes, not seasoned activists. That, at least, appears to be true: Almost everyone I talked to was doing this for the first time, and most were tremendously excited. Donna Cohen, a Pennsylvanian with short red hair, was one exception; she had marched against the Vietnam War in the 1960s, but later apologized to the troops. “I said, ‘I’m sorry, I’m sorry, you were right,’” she told me. “But this is as much fun as I’ve had since the ‘60s!”

The discussion drifted from outrage to outrage, lingering on health care. No one actually doesn’t have insurance, the women agreed. Obama’s numbers of the uninsured keep wavering; maybe he just stopped factoring in the illegals. Besides, everyone can just go to the emergency room, or one of those clinics that Wal-Mart runs.

“This administration does not understand the free market,” someone pronounced.

“The only people with private insurance will be unions!” said another.

Above the chatter, Shaw, a retired voice teacher from Alabama, leaned over to get my attention. “I tell you, my Facebook is hot,” she said, putting on her glasses and pulling out her iPhone. She started reading wall postings from all the people back home in Birmingham. “‘I’m so jealous. I want a full report,’” one read. And another: “‘Give ‘em a wedgie!’ Or--I’m not going to say this--‘call them a doo-doo head for me.’”

“I could go on and on,” she gushed. “All these people, rooting for me!”

In a weekend well-attended by women but largely led by men--nearly all the speakers at all the rallies were male politicians and talking heads--this was a rare moment of female camaraderie. It felt like they were on the edge of something big. “We should have a women’s party!” someone proposed.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2009, 07:50 AM

I am sorry but these people are nucking futs. They truly have no idea what they are talking about!!
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2009, 08:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    I am sorry but these people are nucking futs. They truly have no idea what they are talking about!!!!
    You want an entire crowd that's nucking futs try virtually any protest in San Francisco.
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 08:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    You want an entire crowd that's nucking futs try virtually any protest in San Francisco.
    Well that's relevant. :rolleyes:
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Sep 16, 2009, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Well that's relevant. :rolleyes:
    Well, if you are going to try to marginalize those who are "nucking futs" (great term, btw) at a rally, you really need to do it evenly across the board.

I seem to remember some protests on Washington DC during the Bush Admin wherein the people protesting were totally off the wall. Nobody seemed to make that an issue... the MSM simply reported that there were BAZZILLIONS of people rallying against Bush.

But there seems to be a concerted effort here to marginalize these protestors as "nuckin futs".

Again, the libs do that at their peril. They are, in effect, trying to marginalize 67% of the American public who agree with the protestors. Actively trying to marginalize the majority of the country is NOT the way to win elections.

Elliot
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2009, 08:11 AM

But speech we aren't talking about them. We are talking about these people. Someone should explain to the blond hair kid who said Obama has already destroyed half the country (when did that happen) that actually on November 4th the people spoke and elected Obama for Health Care among other things.
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 08:12 AM
    I guess ET and speech miss the point that I'm talking about the present.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2009, 08:20 AM

That actually on November 4th the people spoke and elected Obama for Health Care among other things.
    I don't recall Obama making that a big issue at all.He seduced the people with promises of tax cuts. How'd that work out ?
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2009, 08:25 AM

I remember it being a BIG thing during the campaign. Main reason I voted for him. That tax cut helped me out a little and my mom and mt sister and her husband and my aunt and my best friend...
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2009, 08:35 AM

It was more of a Hillary issue . The President did not put an emphasis on a "public option/universal "care . But we now know his intentions as opposed to his campaign rhetoric.
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 08:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    It was more of a Hillary issue . The President did not put an emphasis on a "public option/universal "care . But we now know his intentions as opposed to his campaign rhetoric.
    Wrong:

Organizing for America | BarackObama.com | Policy Issues

Obama Wins: What It Means for Health Care
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2009, 08:41 AM

I see nothing about universal care in either site and a vague reference to a public plan ( National Health Insurance Exchange ) on the other .
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2009, 08:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    But speech we aren't talking about them. We are talking about these people. Someone should explain to the blond hair kid who said Obama has already destroyed half the country (when did that happen) that actually on November 4th the people spoke and elected Obama for Health Care among other things.
    So let's get to the present. When is someone going to explain to Pelosi and Hoyer that "we the people" gathering to protest what the people that work for us are doing to us is not "un-American?" Let's start at the top before we worry about the blonde-haired kid, they're only following the example our elected officials are setting.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    They are, in effect, trying to marginalize 67% of the American public who agree with the protestors. Actively trying to marginalize the majority of the country is NOT the way to win elections.
    Hello again, El:

If that's the way most of us think, I'm out of here.

Fortunately for ME, though, your numbers are made up and those loons don't represent MY country... The DO represent the Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, Wolverine wing, though.

excon
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2009, 08:55 AM

I am with EX on this one. I don't think that way and I know more people who think like me not this supposed 67%. If 67% were the case Obama would not be president. What all of a sudden the people who voted for Obama don't agree with him. I HIGHLY doubt that.
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 08:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    So let's get to the present. When is someone going to explain to Pelosi and Hoyer that "we the people" gathering to protest what the people that work for us are doing to us is not "un-American?" Let's start at the top before we worry about the blonde-haired kid, they're only following the example our elected officials are setting.
    If you think the posters and the things people were saying are right up your alley then we understand that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Square footage [ 2 Answers ]

We bought a house. It was just what we wanted and our realtor assisted in finding it and successfully negotiated the deal. We had the house inspected and the mortgage company is fine with everything. The house is on MLS as 2000 square feet but in fact is about 1800. We don't really care as the...

How do you put footage dvd footage on tape [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to put dvd clips on to vhs tape like if your making a highlight tape. Because I have a few tapes with footage and one dvd with footage and I'm trying to put a few plays from each tape and a few from the dvd on to one blank tape.

Has the Democratic Party always been the cry-baby Party? [ 21 Answers ]

This is an honest question and I’m looking for an honest answer. Since I can remember Democrats talk about what a lousy country this is and constantly complain about the “unfairness” of life, the “evils” of big business, the never-shrinking scourge of racism and homophobia, and the inevitable...

Square footage [ 6 Answers ]

How do I calculate the square footage of a room

View more questions Search