Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 15, 2009, 03:39 PM
    Root canal with post and crown
    Hi all:

I need to have a root canal on tooth #26 that chipped back about 6 years ago. The nerve is finally becoming an issue, i.e. some pain now.

Anyway, the tooth only has a bit of the inner wall enamal missing and causes me no issues except for the pain as of recent.

My dentist has suggested the root canal but also a post and a crown. Do I need the post and crown or can the dentist plug the tooth after the root canal and just leave the tooth as it is.

I see no reason to post and crown this tooth if it is doing its job and is mostly whole.

Any advice appreciated...

MARK
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2009, 05:21 PM

Hey Mark, you're a smart one, If there is no enamal, then there will eventually be decay and decay means good bye tooth That tooth you use a lot.

So, go with the pin retained filling and crown. Ouch, ouch and ouch.

I've had a pin retained filling. Had crowns. Had a root canal. Failed, Had bridge. Failed. Have implant. Love I t.

Want to save a few bucks. Go to a dental school nearby.

Root canal will take one visit (probably roots) and a temporary filling, then wait.

There will be a build up phase w/pin and tempory crown

Wait until crown comes back from Lab.

Cement. Done.

Happens if your lucky.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2009, 07:15 PM
    A tooth that has had a root canal becomes dry and brittle. It has a higher risk of fracturing. When a tooth that has had a root canal fractures it will generally fracture right in to the root. A crown is suggested to add strength to the tooth. If you tend to clench or grind your teeth it is a good idea to have a crown placed. Also, remember, that tooth #26 is one that you use to bite with, it gets a lot of use.

It's not always necessary to have a post placed. Actually, I don't think I have seen posts used for a few years now. You may want to have a second opinion regarding the post.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why did my dentist put on a crown without a root canal? [ 5 Answers ]

Two years ago my dentist worked with my front incisors which had been broken in a freak pogo-stick accident when I was a child. Way back then, my childhood dentist told me one day the teeth might die and need root canals. Fifteen years later, I developed a blister over one of the incisors and...

Root Canal, Crown Lengthening [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Everyone! I have had a root canal in my tooth #4 still felt weird at times, so I went to my dentist who referred me to the endodonitst again, which he told me to come back after my crown legthenging surgery. I did that, I had my CL surgery on Dec. 18th and just had my retreat redo root canal on...

Why not do a root canal before crown [ 5 Answers ]

I don't know why my dentist did 4 crowns 3 weeks ago. It has been hurting very bad and now I need two root canals on two of the teeth.

Crown/root canal [ 6 Answers ]

I had a tooth ground down for a crown which then needed a root canal after the grinding. The first part of the root canal was fine. After the second visit, when filling the canals, the pain was intense and did not go away. Dentist gave me a shot of inflammatory medicine during which he hit...

View more questions Search