Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2009, 11:57 AM
    "ungluing" DNA?
    I know it's possible to cut, glue, and copy DNA. But is there any chemical, or anyway to "unglue" DNA. And I've always wondered it if messing with DNA, cutting and gluing, and switching it could make like, a super-mutant. =) a funny question, but it's always been a question of mine!
    Cedarln2265 Posts: 193, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2009, 12:06 PM

Copying DNA is called cloning. Yes there is cloning. As to the cut and glue, that's a microbiology question. My thought, anytime a scientist starts "messing" with nature, there can be good consequences and bad consequences. Sometimes very bad consequences. That's why so much research is done in "controlled laboratories. Good question. The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked. :)_
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2009, 03:40 PM
    Is ungluing the same as ionization?
    http://www.ratical.org/radiation/NRBE/NRBE5.html
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 16, 2009, 06:12 AM
    There is a technique caled "recombinant DNA" which combines DNA sequences in ways that do not naturally occur. See:

Recombinant DNA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The site you referenced talks about how radiation (X-rays, gamma rays, etc) can destroy DNA strands. Short wavelength radiation is strong enough to cause the DNA molecule to lose electrons, become ionized, and effectively destroy itself. This would be a prime cause of radiation sickness, and is the reason why you are advised to limit your exposure to X-rays.
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2009, 06:56 AM

But can radiation in small amounts in a controlled environment aid in what the OP refers to as "ungluing"?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 16, 2009, 07:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever View Post
    But can radiation in small amounts in a controlled environment aid in what the OP refers to as "ungluing"?
    I am not aware of any method of using radiation in a "controlled environment" to cut DNA in an engineered way. I would think it would be very, very difficult to direct radiation toward a specific portion of a single DNA molecule strand to do this, without destroying the adjacent portion of the molecule. Sort of like using a hand grenade as a tool to perform an apendectomy! But I will admit that I am not an expert in micro-biology.
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2009, 07:21 AM
    I don't know anything about microbiology, I had come across the nuclear reaction article and thought there must be some way to use it in a good way.

Thanks for clarifying. :)
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2009, 09:44 AM

Is it possible for a sort of "mutant" to be made? And also, isn't there DNA that you just can't change- like indestructible DNA?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2009, 10:12 AM

Well, what I think is that yes, you can have some sort of mutant, but I don't think that super powers will be present ;)

DNA consists of atoms, and can be destroyed by radiation like mentioned earlier. Biologists make use of enzymes that will cut the DNA at the place they want it to be cut, and another enzyme to glue it. Of course, that may also end up badly if the enzyme come to cut somewhere they do not expect.

If you tried to modify DNA in a very 'messy' way, putting it anyway you like, I don't think that the cell of the organism will live...

Just an opinion. ebaines already gave quite a good explanation on the subject.
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2009, 12:38 PM

Oh I see. Another question, (I've got many aparently) can you cross DNA from one species to another, if so, what would be the outcome?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2009, 09:56 AM

As a matter of fact, this is being done by some scientists. They take some piece of DNA from a species of plant, or animal to a plant crop to make it more resistant to a certain disease or pest.

Scientists have even tried to implant human cells into a rat, and the rat developed an ear on its back... (see :Rat - Google Search)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discovery, Animal Planet, "Lost Tapes" series: "Monster of Monterey" (Sharon Novak) [ 28 Answers ]

I watched this premier episode last night: Sharon Novak did a 171 day solo sailing trip and web-cammed it for nothingabout the real story. My opinion of the family of Discovery Channels has dropped several notches. Does anyone know the real story? I'll be the first to apologize if the...

I was told by a "spiritual leader" or "medium" to put white flowers in my bedroom. [ 8 Answers ]

I have no idea what they are intended to do or what area in my life they are going to improve or affect. Does anyone know what white flowers, specifically in the bedroom are for?? Thanks in advance!

View more questions Search