Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikaelaq23 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2009, 07:58 AM
    Motion in Two dimensions
    A ball is thrown off a 28 m high cliff at 3 m/s, 50 degrees above the horizontal(Xaxis). How long does it take to hit the ground?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 14, 2009, 08:10 AM

The first thing to do is to break the problem into two - treating motion in the horizontal direction independently for the motion in the vertical. Since the ball is thrown at an angle of 50 degrees above the horizontal, that means its initial velocity in the vertical direction is 3 m/s * sin(50 degrees). So the question becomes:

A ball is thrown directly upward off a 28 m high cliff at 3m/s * sin(50) m/s. How long does it take to hit he ground?

Now you can use the standard equation of motion, worrying only about the vertical components of distance, velocity, and acceleration:

d = d_0 + v_o*t + 1/2 a t^2

d = 0
    d_0 = 28 m
    v_o = 3 * sin(50) m/s
    a = g = -9.8 m/s^2

Solve for t.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 14, 2009, 08:36 AM

I have looked at several of Mike's questions and , in general, they can not be answered with data given. Mike has not gotten back to me so I am wondering what's up with him. In this case, like others, air density, mass of ball, humidity, etc... are all missing so no answer.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2009, 09:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    I have looked at several of Mike's questions and , in general, they can not be answered with data given. Mike has not gotten back to me so I am wondering whats up with him. In this case, like others, air density, mass of ball, humidity, etc... are all missing so no answer.
    This is unnecessary, it is obviously an idealised physics question. No need to be obtuse.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 14, 2009, 09:09 AM

Thanks for the insult, have you read all of his questions? They each lack data needed to make a calculation. None of the books I have used requires a student to make assumptions in physics. Where is Mike on this? He has not come back yet to tell us if this is an actual test question or just something he is thinking.
    Expert

Sep 14, 2009, 09:15 AM
    I have looked at several of Mike's questions and , in general, they can not be answered with data given. Mike has not gotten back to me so I am wondering whats up with him. In this case, like others, air density, mass of ball, humidity, etc... are all missing so no answer.
    I think we can assume that this is a straight-forward high school physics question, in which case it is assumed that air resistance = 0, and hence air density and the mass of the ball does not come into it.
    Expert

Sep 14, 2009, 09:23 AM
    None of the books I have used requires a student to make assumptions in physics.
    Really? Every high school text I have ever seen says that for problems like this air resistance is to be ignored. Otherwise the problem is impossible to solve without use of differential equations. From the wording of this it's safe to assume that this is indeed a question from an introductory physics text, and high school students taking introductory physics would not be exected to know how to handle differential equations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Motion in two dimensions [ 1 Answers ]

I just need to know if I've done this right. If not, please explain where I've gone wrong. Thank you. A bomber flying in level flight at 200m/s drops a 500kg bomb from an altitude of 3000m. A.)Find the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity just before it strikes. B.) How far has...

Physics motion in two dimensions [ 1 Answers ]

A bomber flying in level flight at 200 m/s drops a 500kg bomb from an altitude of 3000m. a. find the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity and B.how far has it travelled horizontally after release when it strikes. I know you're given : V: 200m/s y: 3000m a: -9.8m/s^2 I've...

Target Dimensions Need Help! [ 5 Answers ]

Iam a newbie to target shooting and was wondering if someone could please help me out in regards to target dimensions for open and aperature sights. I make my own targets but need to know what the dimensions for the "Black" on a standard 10 ring target at ranges of 100yards, 200yards, 300yards etc.

View more questions Search