Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Michelleb1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2009, 07:48 PM
    How do I find out how much start up money is needed
    Hello my name is Michelle, I am currently researching starting a thrift store. How do I find out how much start up money I will need? Thanks...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2009, 07:56 PM
    Hello Michelle:

Write a business plan.. It'll tell exactly how much you need, plus lots of other stuff you're going to need too. I'd consider my business plan my structure for fulfillment.

No, it's not written out of the blue. There's software that guides you through the process. I like Business Plan Pro. It'll cost about $50.

excon
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 14, 2009, 02:09 PM

I'm seconding what Excon said, but to add a bit of detail:

You basically need to figiure out what your cash flow is going to be, and then you cover the negative cash flows that you expect to incur in the first few months with a loan or other source of cash. In the first few months you will probably have expenses such as a lease for retail space, equipment purchases (shelving, racks, lighting, point of sale equipment, software, etc), inventory purchases, advertising expenses, utilities, shipping, an accountant, and salaries for your employees (and perhaps yourself). Your initial revenues will likely be pretty small at first, and your plan would hopefully include increasing revenues as the business grows. At some point your revenues will exceed your expenses (hurray!) but until then you'll have negative cash flows. So to stay in business you'll need a hunk of cash up front to cover the difference. If you plan to borrow this money don't forget to include interest charges in your list of expenses. To determine how much cash you'll need - you need to write out a detailed business plan with your best estimates of how much your revenues and expenses will actually be, month by month, for at least the first two years, and quarter by quarter after that for the next three years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Needed: money for my son to attend military academy [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone tell me how to go about finding grant, scolarship, financial aid or sponsorship for my son to attend a military academy. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Money needed fast [ 3 Answers ]

How do I earn $25.00 in 5 days?:confused:

Money Needed for Merchandise already delivered [ 1 Answers ]

I am an Independent Consultant with Pampered Chef. I have a host who owes me $350 for merchandise that she and her guests at her show have received already. The money has been taken out of my account by Pampered Chef. I have called her several times and been told that she would be sending the...

Looking to start well needed biz [ 3 Answers ]

Looking to start a night time care biz for people just like me. I have tried to get a job and each place will hire me but finding day care open late is the biggest problem. Also weekends. We need funding or a backer for this project. I have a partner. She came to me frustrated about will...

Find how much Zinc is needed ? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm so confused with the equation. But I got 15.3L as an answer.I don't know if it's correct. "How much Zinc must react in order to form 15.5L of hydrogen, H2 (g),at 32.0c and 115 kPa"? Zn(s)+H2SO4 => ZnSO4(aq)+H2(g):)

View more questions Search