Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Sep 13, 2009, 06:54 PM
    How to animals thrive at depths beyond the abyss?
    How can any animals at all survive below the abyss and around the abyss? In the abyss, the pressure is 5820 pounds per square inch! How can any flesh and bones be able to handle such weight on it? It just doesn't make any sense to me. The submarines that goes down to those depths to explorer are made of titanium and steel, and they still have trouble handling those pressure, how can flesh and bones of biological do it?

So if you take an animal from the ocean where there's 5820 pounds per square inches on land and put 5820 pounds of air pressure (per square inch), does it still live? How about physical pressure of 5820 pounds per sq inch? Wouldn't it be crushed like the way, if you would step on a little fish? Unless the animals' rib cage is made of some type of strong strong steel, I don't know how it works.
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Oct 9, 2009, 05:27 PM

The animals do not know the diffferences because internally they are at the same pressure as the surrounding water and the forces on them balance out.

Remember that there is about 14.7 pound per square inch of air pressure pressing on you right now (depending on your altitude) but you don't feel that because your internal pressure is the same and balances it out

If you bring fish up to the surface from the deep, the lack of high outside pressure usually kills them due to organs that expanded and ruptured due to low outside pressure.

Remember also that submarines are basically hollow and internally are at the same pressure as the surface of the ocean, so great strength is needed to keep them from being crushed by external pressure at depth.
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Oct 24, 2009, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyYakker View Post
    The animals do not know the diffferences because internally they are at the same pressure as the surrounding water and the forces on them balance out.

Remember that there is about 14.7 pound per square inch of air pressure pressing on you right now (depending on your altitude) but you don't feel that because your internal pressure is the same and balances it out

If you bring fish up to the surface from the deep, the lack of high outside pressure usually kills them due to organs that expanded and ruptured due to low outside pressure.

Remember also that submarines are basically hollow and internally are at the same pressure as the surface of the ocean, so great strength is needed to keep them from being crushed by external pressure at depth.
    So why don't they create unmanned submarines with as much pressure as the depth to go and explore?
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Oct 26, 2009, 04:27 PM

That you would have to ask the designers, but likely it would be inconveniet to pressurise on the surface, and maybe even more inconvenient to pressurize on the way down,

I rather suspect that what is easiest is to simply enclose only those parts of the unmanned sub that must be protected from the water, making for a relatively small volume that must be pressure-proof. The smaller the volume being enclosed the easier it is to design the structure.

Perhaps these days for unmanned, you can get by with waterproof coatings or jackets that eleminate the need for any enclosed "open" volume.

There are a number of unmanned devises out there, look it up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Deep Deep Depths [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know the approximate depth of the deepest point in the ocean? Any ocean, the deepest one obviously hahaha Thanks

Why if a person is in deportation , he is able to reamain and thrive in the USA ? [ 1 Answers ]

I divorced my ex husband in feb 2008 and he has been in deportation since nov 07 . Officers came to my home in August or sept 2008 and he was at my home at that time visiting my kids. They checked his status by phone at that time ,and told him he was in deportation but did not detain him. He is...

What small business would thrive in Kenya? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello everyone!I plan to start a small business here in Kenya.Which business can I start,run and eventually thrive with 2000 US dollars?

Fence pole depths [ 9 Answers ]

What is the minimum depth for fence post holes in Illinois?

Failure to thrive [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I'm pegie, my concern is about my 2 month old daughter, she is my third child but doesn't seem to be as focused as my other two at this age,she was born 2 weeks early because of my preclampcia and she was in the nicu for a few days because of some low heart rates and was put on oxygen for...

View more questions Search