Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    topcat6 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Sep 13, 2009, 06:27 PM
    How to finish a basement?
    Hello my friends at AMH, I would like to help my son make good use of this cellar space, with your advice perhaps we can get it done correctly. We have a concrete floor with french drains and cinder block walls. We are planing to stud the walls with 2x4 and use pressure treated for anything in contact with the concrete floor. Green board for the walls and rock for the celling, carpet on the floor. Right now there is NOT any moisture problem however we need advice on how to install a moisture barrier and insulation. What material is best for this? And is there a guide to use on How to finish a basement?
    cyberheater Posts: 321, Reputation: 12

Sep 14, 2009, 06:40 AM

What location does your son live in?

That is improtant for the purpose of knowing how to apply the vapor barrier, and each location has it's own code for good reasons.

What area will be he finishing? Does it have windows and heat/air conditioning etc.

How about a pic if possible. Happy to help.
    iamarcin Posts: 72, Reputation: 4

Sep 14, 2009, 10:40 AM

I live in NY, Long island. I hate carpet so I put down pressure treated "sleeper" 2x4s 1 foot apart and then plywood and a laminate floating floor. I like it more and easier to maintain then carpet. I just left landings made with tile by the entry and in the bathroom. Those do get cold in the winter so I also think that the carpet could have been cold also... my method provides some extra insulation... I used non paper backed insulation and used clear plastic I think it was 6mil. Only on walls. I didn't do any special vapor barrier for floor or ceiling. I think I watched a hometime tape and they said not to but my memory is a bit fuzzy. I did this some 3 years ago.

Sep 14, 2009, 12:11 PM
    Central New Jersey, one window. Cental air heating ducts and returns are all located in the ceiling and could be tapped with registers.
    EZHangDoor Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2009, 03:01 PM

I would recommend leaving the 2x4 wall studs about an inch away from the block walls. Building basement walls isn't that difficult. You may want some tips on how to square a wall too.

Insulate the perimeter walls with fiberglass batts. If you live in a climate where it gets cold in the winter you should install a vapor barrier ( 6 mill plastic) on the inside or heated part of the wall.

Good job on using the treated material that contacts concrete.

Sep 27, 2009, 04:22 PM
    Thanks, exactly what we have done so far, any recomadations for installing a floor over the concrete one that exsist? We were hoping to use some pergo flooring?
    EZHangDoor Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2009, 06:55 PM

Most laminated flooring can be installed over concrete. The key here is to place a good vapor barrier under the flooring. Also make sure the manufacturer of the flooring recommends it to be installed below grade and on concrete. Some of the underlayments for laminated floor have a pad with intregal vapor barrier. Just be sure to use their tape for the joints.

It's usually best to install your doors on the finished floor. This will save you from needing to undercut the door jambs. Here are some interior door installation instructions.

If you have any other questions... I'd be happy to help if I can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Going to finish my basement... [ 7 Answers ]

hello. I'm starting the infamous "basement project". For starters, the floor is not level. The house if about 45+/- years old. It's not on a huge or uncomfortable pitch, but the floor leans slightly to the floor drain. What I'm wondering really is where the 3 floor support posts are under...

Basement Finish [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of finishing my basement, about 800 sq ft consisting of a bedroom, bathroom, and rec room. There are three existing heating vents, one in the bedroom and two in the rec room. I am thinking of adding a vent in the bathroom and another in the rec room near a window. This is...

150 Amp Service enough to finish basement. [ 4 Answers ]

To Whom it May Concern: My name is Brian and I'm looking at finishing out my basement and currently have a 150 Amp service running into the house and was wondering if my current service would be enough or do I need to upgrade to a 200 Amp service. Current living space is 1,750 sq. ft and when...

Finish basement [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I want to finish my basement was the best insulation I could use I live in Massachusetts. The fundation is brick. Thanks

Basement finish [ 1 Answers ]

Does a 20 amp breaker require 12/2 wiring? Also, is there a standard number of outlets and lights (2x2 flourescents) that are standard on a 15 amp breaker (code states 2,880 watts maximum, but I don't know how many outlets this equals).

View more questions Search