Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    annamaria623 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2009, 02:27 PM
    How to record a transaction
    Hello I am really confused on how to record these transactions:

1. Amortized $60 of the discount on bonds payable.

This is how I recorded it:

Amortization Expense Debit $60
    Discount on Bonds Payable Credit $60

Evidently the amortization expense is in correct. Could you please help?

2. Collected $9,874 of accounts receivables

Accounts Receivables Debit of $9,874
    Cash Credit of $9,874

I am thinking that I should have reversed these accounts but I am not sure.

3. Bought Stock in Excellent Company for $950 in cash. Your company has no plans to sell the shares of stock in the next few years.

My Answer:
    Marketable Securities Debit of $950
    Cash Credit of $950

I am thinking that the marketable securities should be available for sale securities.

4. a fire destroyed $732 of merchandise and equipment which cost $1,426 and had a book value of $985. Filed insurance claim but have not received money from the insurance company. The fire was considered unusual and infrequent.

Extraordinary Loss on Merchandise and Equipment Debit 732
    Merchandise and Equipment Credit 985
    Depreciation Expense Debit 253

I was told to separate the merchandise and equipment and that the depreciation expense account is incorrect along with the figures of $732 and $985. I am so unsure what to do at this point.

5. Of the rent paid in part "M" above one of the months is in 2010. Rent paid during 2008 has expired.
    "M" READS: Paid $2,700 of rent on February 1 to renew the one year lease which began in 2008.

I recorded M as:
    Rent Expense Debit 2,700
    Cash Credit 2,700

I recorded Question 5 as:
    Prepaid Rent Debit 225
    Rent Expense Credit 225

I was told that the account numbers for five are wrong. I changed the accounts on Question 5 from a debit of Rent Expense and a credit of prepaid rent to read what it says now.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2009, 10:32 PM
    1. Amortized $60 of the discount on bonds payable.

Amortization Expense Debit $60
    Discount on Bonds Payable Credit $60

Evidently the amortization expense is in correct. Could you please help?
    Um... you're sure the amortization expense is correct? At least in the U.S. we generally charge that off to interest expense. (But it most definitely is an expense.) The credit is correct. Bonds payable is a credit account, so a discount (which reduces it) would be a debit account. When you amortize a premium or discount, you are removing a portion from the account. So since discount is a debit account, to remove the 60, it would be a credit.

2. Collected $9,874 of accounts receivables

Accounts Receivables Debit of $9,874
    Cash Credit of $9,874

I am thinking that I should have reversed these accounts but I am not sure.
    Yes, you should have reversed them. ;) Both are debit accounts. If you're collecting cash, that means it's going up, so debit. It also means the customer is paying on their account, which reduces the amount they owe, so you have to reduce the receivable. Since that's a debit account, reducing means crediting it.

3. Bought Stock in Excellent Company for $950 in cash. Your company has no plans to sell the shares of stock in the next few years.

My Answer:
    Marketable Securities Debit of $950
    Cash Credit of $950

I am thinking that the marketable securities should be available for sale securities.
    I would agree.

4. a fire destroyed $732 of merchandise and equipment which cost $1,426 and had a book value of $985. Filed insurance claim but have not received money from the insurance company. The fire was considered unusual and infrequent.

Extraordinary Loss on Merchandise and Equipment Debit 732
    Merchandise and Equipment Credit 985
    Depreciation Expense Debit 253

I was told to separate the merchandise and equipment and that the depreciation expense account is incorrect along with the figures of $732 and $985. I am so unsure what to do at this point.
    Um... a little confusing. For the separation they're referring to the credits. The two asset accounts are separate accounts. Also 985 is the book value for the equipment. So not only does it not apply to the merchandise account at all, the equipment account would not contain 985. It contains 1426 and the accumulated depreciation contains the difference between 1426 and book value. (Review where book value comes from.)

I assume by saying the depreciation account is incorrect that it's not supposed to be there at all. (Versus dollar amount) I don't know where you came up with that dollar amount. You would need to catch up depreciation first because the amount depreciated thus far is a different issue that the loss. But because the problem giving you a book value, I would have assumed it was already caught up. It doesn't say book value at the beginning of the year; just says that's what the book value was ("was" I assume at the time of the loss). But I AM making an assumption there.

5. Of the rent paid in part "M" above one of the months is in 2010. Rent paid during 2008 has expired.
    "M" READS: Paid $2,700 of rent on February 1 to renew the one year lease which began in 2008.

I recorded M as:
    Rent Expense Debit 2,700
    Cash Credit 2,700

I recorded Question 5 as:
    Prepaid Rent Debit 225
    Rent Expense Credit 225

I was told that the account numbers for five are wrong. I changed the accounts on Question 5 from a debit of Rent Expense and a credit of prepaid rent to read what it says now.
    The accounts you have now are correct. It depends on how the original was recorded. The original entry you did for #5 (dr expense/cr prepaid) would be correct if you had recorded the original "M" entry in the prepaid account. Because you'd have to move the expired portion down to the expense. But since you recorded the original in the expense account, you have to move the unexpired portion up to the prepaid.
    annamaria623 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2009, 05:52 AM

Thank you for your help!

On number 4 what would the correct transaction/journal entry be? I have been trying to figure this out for the longest time...

On number 5 is the amount correct (225)?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to journalize this transaction ? [ 4 Answers ]

Could you please check whether I did it right or wrong ? 1.Dwyer Delivery Service,a proprietorship, began operations by receiving from the owner $5000 cash and a truck valued at $10000. The business gave Paul Dwyer, the oener, capital in the business. answer Debit Cash 5000 ...

After deleting record ,still the record should contain numbers serially [ 1 Answers ]

Helllo I have a problem in ms access 2007... I want to know how to make database continuous in serial number after deleting a record from it... for example if I have a table as follows Sl no fname lname 1 aaa bbb 2 yyy xxx 3 rrr uuu In the above example if...

Transaction [ 2 Answers ]

Could someone please help me out? I need to record a transaction for receiving $70,000 for the sale of 50,000 shares of $1 par value common stock. Would I record this as a debit to cash for the 70,000, then a credit to common stock for 50,000 and a 20,000 credit to premium on common stock? ...

Journal entry to record in transaction [ 3 Answers ]

July 9th Office Supply Corp delivers furniture ($1,060) and expendable office supplies ($160) to Random Leaving an invoice for $1220. The journal entry to record the July 9th transaction will include a credit of $1,220 to what account?? I’m pretty sure that it’s Accounts...

View more questions Search