Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    celticmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2006, 06:40 PM
    Water coming into downstairs
    Hello,
    I don't know whether this is a plumbing question, or general home improvement.
    We just bought a raised ranch (built in 1962) in upstate New York. The downstairs has a garage two rooms and a bath. So basically, the basement is also living space. Well today we had a significant amount of rain. The garage ended up with 4" of water and the interior rooms each had about an inch. The water seems to be seeping in along the edges of the foundation. I'm certain this is not a first and that this problem was not disclosed, but that's water under the bridge so to speak. We plan on calling an excavator this week to explore improved ground drainage systems. I have no idea what this could cost. When I spoke to a family member who is also a builder, he said that may not be the end of the story. "when you live in a house, with underground rooms, you'll get water". Is that really the case and can anyone tell me of there are other options we should be looking in to?

Thank you
    celticmom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2006, 06:49 PM
    Done right, you can have a dry basement. Unfortunately it is easier to do it right in the first place. Look around outside. Does the ground slope away from the house? Do the down spouts drain away from the house? If they go down into the ground, the lines could be plugged. Try to figure out where they drain to and if water is coming out of the drain.

And I would talk to a lawyer before you let this undisclosed problem be water under the bridge.

Get at least 2 estimates, and make sure what the contractor plans sounds like it should work.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Oct 28, 2006, 07:17 PM
    I agee with the stmt that when you have below ground rooms, expect some water during heavy rains, hard to stop the natural flow of water and it really becomes apparent as you have experienced during the heavy rains. As to be "disclosed", I would like to know if your purchased any sort of home warranty, might be some coverage there for the expenses to correct the problem if it can be corrected. Also, I may not be correct on this but most states real estate laws require that a seller "disclose" problems that they are aware of, I woud be interested to know if the seller was "aware", don't know how you would ascertain such though. I am an insurance agent licensed to issue homeowners insurance and don't think there's any coverage for what you describe, believe it to be exlcuded from most HO policies, there may be coverage in a flood policy but you may not have a flood policy? Also if the real estate agent (if there was one for your purchase) was aware of the problem and also didn't disclose it there might be coverage under the agent's error and omissions policy. Hope all this helps you.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 29, 2006, 05:44 AM
    Hi Mom,

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned a french drain, (see image) or a sump pump in the basement.
    This would have been my first thought. A french drain is a trench around the house foundation that collects rain and ground water and pipes it to lower ground away from the house.

In my state of Florida it is against the law to withhold knowledge of a defect or fault in the home you're selling. It's inconceivable that the seller didn't know the basement flooded after a heavy downpour.
    RichardBondMan has a point when he says, "Also if the real estate agent (if there was one for your purchase) was aware of the problem and also didnt disclose it there might be coverage under the agent's error and omissions policy."
    Good luck and let us know what transpires. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water coming up in bath tub [ 2 Answers ]

When draining the kitchen sink water, the water backs up into the bath tub. Have used drain cleaners in kitchen and bath tub both. Any ideas why water backs up into the tub? Thanks, Wingz

Downstairs shower knocks when hot water is on [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, so my house has 2 full baths, and we're having problems with the downstairs bathroom. The shower has a single temperature/flow control knob/lever, a tub spigot with shower diverter, and a drain lever. If you use hot or rather warm water, as normal, the pipe knocks, shaking the wall, and...

Water coming up in sink [ 1 Answers ]

I have water coming UP in the bathroom sink when the water softener is on, if I by pass it no problem. What can I check?

No water coming at all [ 4 Answers ]

>:( This morning my husband commented to me that the downstairs faucets were acting up. He said yesterday he could only get hot water and then cold. Now the faucets will not even give any water at all. What is causing this? We didn't replace them or anything. The upstairs faucets are fine. ...

Have warm water coming from the hose outside [ 2 Answers ]

I don't know how or when it happened but I have warm water coming from the hose outside. At first I thought it was the hose being in the sun but the water never ran cold. I know that this just doesn't happen. I got a new hot water tank about 3 yrs. Ago and it didn't do it then so some happened and...

View more questions Search