Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lillib123 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2009, 11:36 AM
    Final displacement
    When calculating for final displacement, what is the difference between these two equations?

1. x(f) = x(o) + V(o)t + at2 / 2

2. x(f) = x(o) + (v+v(o)) / 2

x(f) = final displacement, x(o) = original displacement, v(o) = original velocity.

It's my fourth day taking AP physics, and I need help.. thanks!
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 13, 2009, 12:31 PM

Hi,
    Off the bat I would say they are probably the same with different varaibles for solution (you did not define a or t but I assume them to be acceleration and time.) The second does assume constant velocity in its calculation.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2009, 07:53 AM

The second one cannot be used to find the displacement. You see, the sum of the initial and final velocities when divided by two cannot be added to a displacement.

However, in the first one, you have a velocity times a time, giving a displacement, and an acceleration times a time to the square. Acceleration times time give velocity, then times time again give displacement.

Thus, the second equation is one that does not exist.

Hope it helped! :)

Sep 14, 2009, 06:00 PM
    [QUOTE=Unknown008;1977830] You see, the sum of the initial and final velocities when divided by two cannot be added to a displacement.
    QUOTE]

Why not?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2009, 06:56 AM

That just isn't possible to add a distance with a speed! If I tell you add a temperature with another temperature, that's possible. But if I tell you to add a temperature with a volume, that's not possible.

Speed and distance are two different things, and cannot be added together.

Taking the two velocities added up, and divided by two will give an 'average' of the velocities, which is still a velocity. Adding distance with that cannot be done.

Hope it cleared some misunderstandings! :)

Sep 15, 2009, 12:27 PM

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Acceleration vs Displacement [ 1 Answers ]

Just done crash cart experiment with ticker tape. Question reads, "Assuming that the acceleration is constant, then so long as we use the same time interval in each case, displacement will be proportional to acceleration. Explain why we can say that displacement is proportional to acceleration...

Find displacement [ 1 Answers ]

A rock is dropped from rest into a well. a. the sound of the splash id heard 2.40s after the rock was relaesed from rest. How far below to top of the well is the surface of the water? 9speed of sound in air at ambient temperature is 336m/s) b. what if? If the travel time for the sound is...

View more questions Search