Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    topjimmy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2006, 05:19 PM
    Honeywell RTH230B - furnace starts often
    I recently replaced my old mercury tilt thermostat with a programmable (5/2) Honeywell RTH230B digital unit. I didn't have too much problem with the install - to a 2 wire forced air oil furnace - however I find the furnace cycling through start and stop much more than usual,to the point to distraction, up to 4 or 5 times in a 10 minute period sometime only starting for 10sec or so just to maintain a 70F temperature. I can only imagine this will get worse as the cold months (I live in Atlantic Canada) arrive. Is this normal or is there a setting or installation problem I may have missed?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2006, 06:11 PM
    Take a look at the instruction manual, page 3 Configuration Menu, where it mentions how to program the heating cycles per hour. This should help.
    topjimmy Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2006, 10:22 AM
    Ok... I wasn't entirely sure that's what the 'cycles' pertained to, thank you for the post. I'm still a little curious though - when the unit cycles on it will heat for a few moments, stop for ~2 minutes. Then cycle on again for 15sec. I can only assume this counts as two cycles. As the unit is defaulted to 4 cycles should I set it to higher to ensure it stays warm when the weather gets colder? I see in the manual it recommends 3 cycles/hr for high efficiency furnaces (which mine is) but I can't imagine that would be enough the way it is operating now. Am I mistaken?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace shuts down starts only after off switch [ 3 Answers ]

Our Furnace comes on and only runs for a minute or so... the first fan comes on and it sounds like water in the fan... we have a humidifier on side... then the blower fan comes on and it only runs for a few minutes.it doesn't get up to the tempter we set it too.( tried both.digital themo and old...

Honeywell RTH230B thermostat [ 39 Answers ]

I am trying to wire a Honeywell RTH230B thermostat. The existing wires are Yellow, Green, Red and Black The ports available in the new system are W, Y, G and the Rc and Rh terminals are jumpered. Which wire do I put in the W port? (Red or Black), then what do I do with the one that is not...

Honeywell RTH230B [ 3 Answers ]

I currently have a very old thermostat, White-Rodgers 135-415, which I'd like to convert to a Honeywell RTH230B. Currently there are only 3 wires that are connected to the thermostat (which is only for my apartment's heat. White wire is connected to what looks to be labeled "Common" Black...

Honeywell rth230b [ 4 Answers ]

This winter I installed honeywell rth230b. Heater works great, but I have no a/c. I have 6 wires from wall. Rh--red Rc--blue W--white Y--yellow G--green Brown not being used Help it is 90 deg. I need my a/c Thank you all

Honeywell RTH230B [ 6 Answers ]

I am installing a Honeywell RTH230B thermostat but am not sure of the wiring. I have 6 wires colored as follows, red, green, white, yellow, and 2 blue wires. Please advise?

View more questions Search