Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Sep 13, 2009, 07:56 AM
    How to do smoke meat using what nature gives you?
    I was watching man vs. wild, they the idea that I want to know how to smoke meat popped up into my mind. The websites I visited online always use appliances to help them smoke the meat. But I want to know, if I was lost in the woods or something, and I have a fire and wood, leaf, etc. by me, how do I smoke my meat. Just curious!

I want to know the way the natives do it, a long time ago. Thanks!
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2009, 10:00 AM

Try getting sticks together,bind them in a mesh (criss cross, so there is space between sticks but close enough to balance the meat on top).

If you can find two large rocks and build a fire in between, balance the mesh above it.

Arrange the fish/meat pieces above it and turn them over every hour.

That's is how we smoke fish, not sure if it applies to wild meat.

Smoking Wild Game

(EDIT ::) If it is fish, we always remove the bones and head,scales,skin too.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2009, 11:51 AM
    Try this site:

U.S. Armed Forces Survival Guide - Google Books
    survivorboi Posts: 431, Reputation: 9

Sep 13, 2009, 06:57 PM

But wouldn't it just burn and turn ashy and black? If you put it straight under fire?
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2009, 02:54 AM

Which is why I mentioned two large rocks, what we use is mainly used in kitchens where things are cooked on a wood fire.

A large mesh of wooden sticks bound together is suspended a few feet above the fire and the fish is left there for weeks. These kitchens are used for cooking large quantities of fish.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Name of song with lyrics "when a smoke was a smoke and grovin was grovin [ 1 Answers ]

Name of song with lyrics "when a smoke was a smoke and grovin was grovin

Smoke detector doesn't detect smoke [ 3 Answers ]

I have two smoke detectors. Good batteries and when I push the test button the alarm works. But I just filled the house with smoke from an unwatched pot on the stove. Neither smoke detector alarmed. I assume they are defective. But how common is this? And if the test button doesn't reliably...

1999 Toyota Duet Smoke excessive smoke emission [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have problem with too much emission of smoke. Even more excessive smoke in the morning. Can't even see anyone around the vehicle!! Took it to toyota for diagnostics they discovered valve seal leaked and oil dropping on top of number 1 piston. Have changed the valve seals but still same...

How do you know if you have meat the one [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for the guy that I can spend mylife with, someone that will treat me like a lady, respect me, love me 4 who I am and not take me for granted. Someone that if he does not see me, he just want to call or jump on the next bus that is availabele, someone that I can love and would love me...

My dog will not eat anything but any type of meat what can I feed her besides meat? [ 2 Answers ]

My dog,Sheba,will not eat anything but meat.I know why she won't but how do I get her to eat dog food again?Sheba is nine years old and she has some arthritis and I put an arthritis pill,that my veternarian gave me, in her dog food a couple weeks ago and now she won't eat her dog food because the...

View more questions Search