Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dupontmom Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2009, 07:40 AM
    How do I hook up internet to my desktop?
    I have wirelesss internet to my laptop with a linksys router and a black comtrend modem I want to hook up my desktop and don't know how?
    Step by step please
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 13, 2009, 12:41 PM

Hi,
    First the modem must "see" the router. I think the default passwords are "user" and "12345" and then you have to configure the router once you can get to it.
    You have not given any models, OSs or such so that is the best I can provide currently.
    I am an A+ though.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Sep 14, 2009, 11:56 AM

If you have wireless internet coming from the router to your laptop already, then you just need a network cable to go from the router, into your desktop computer. The longest you should run a network cable would be about 100 meters (about 325 feet), otherwise it will start to lose signal.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2009, 12:09 PM
    Hello d:

You can use a wire or you can buy a wireless receiver kind of thing. It fits into a USB and works just like the wireless receiver in your laptop.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I hook up my desktop tower to my laptop for a monitor? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to hook up my desktop tower to my laptop to use my laptop as a monitor.

Can I use a USB wireless adapter on my desktop without having to hook up the route [ 2 Answers ]

Can I use a USB wireless adapter on my desktop without having to hook up the router to another computer

Connecting laptop to desktop for internet [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to connect my laptop to my desktop to use the internet through it. I have a new toshiba satellite, running system is vista. My Desktop is a hp, running system is xp. It says on my laptop I'm connected to local yet when I open a internet window it doesn't work? HELP!!

Remote desktop on LAN not on internet [ 3 Answers ]

Dear sir Please provide setting remote desktop on LAN with windows XP Pro. Thanks

Hook up to internet [ 1 Answers ]

Need To Hook Up Another Computer To Comcast Internet. How Is This Done? Do I Need A Routher & Any New Connectors ?

View more questions Search