Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ronron69 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2009, 11:36 AM
    Cleaned hard drive not recognized
    I would like to know why the following happened. I wiped a hard drive clean using Darik's Boot and Nuke to put win7 beta on the drive and test it. Win7 would not recognize the drive. After this I tried XP, same result. Then I tried w2k, 98SE with the same results, would not recognize the hard drive. I also tried 98SE bootdisk, no go. I Googled about the MBR, tried this information and still no go. The win CDs are full not upgrade versions.
    I had downloaded Ubuntu 9.04, so I tried this. Guess what? You guessed it, Ubuntu recognized the
    Drive, went on easy as pie and is quite usable (I am 66 and this is the first use of any linux OS).
    Is Ubuntu that much more mature than windows or am I missing something?
    Thanks
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Sep 12, 2009, 11:55 AM

Hi,
    My guess is that you installed a file system that Windows does not "see" when you cleaned the drive. Ext2 or ext3 would be my guess. I use multipe drives/OSs and Windows does not know of the existence of Linux on another drive.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Sep 13, 2009, 11:50 AM
    After using Darik's Boot and Nuke the hdd was clean, even the MBR was cleaned. The first OS tried was Win7 RC, could not recognize the HDD, the next was XP-Pro then W2k-Pro, all the same. Next I tried 98SE boot disk and then tried to write the MBR to the HDD, all could not recognize the HDD. This is when I tried Ubuntu 9.4 and it went on slick as snot. Thus the only time anything wrote to the HDD was when Ubuntu was installed. What am I missing here?
    Thanks crigby for your fast response, Ron
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Sep 14, 2009, 11:59 AM

What kind of hard drive is it? SCSI/SATA drives usually won't install from XP or earlier without 3rd party drivers... not sure how Vista or Win7 handles them.

Sep 14, 2009, 02:35 PM

Thanks retsoksirhc for inquiring. The HDD is PATA Maxtor 80GB 100 and is running Ubuntu 9.4 quite well. When I say that Windows did not recognize the HDD, it says that there is no HDD found period. But Ubuntu 9.4 found the drive and loaded. The HDD was wiped clean including the MBR and multiple windows (98SE, W2K-Pro, XP-Pro, Win7-RC and 98SE bootdisk) could not find HDD.
    Thanks, Ron.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace existing hard drive with upgrade to larger hard drive? [ 6 Answers ]

How do you replace existing hard drive for a larger one and how to save info on existing device?

USB hard drive, recognized but no volume letter [ 5 Answers ]

I just bought a USB External Hard Drive. But when I plug it into my laptop and Desktop computers, both running Win XP Pro, the system recognized it immediately And there is an "Safely remove Hardware" icon shown on the right bottom. But I can not find out the drive volume letter for this USB...

Hard Drive Not Recognized [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Thanks for providing this service. I desperately need help on trouble-shooting my hard drive. It has all my data and does not bootup as a Master or accessible as a Slave. I have checked all the cables, jumpers, and the BIOS settings. At booting the message says, " Operating System Not Found."...

Hard drive not recognized [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Dell optiplex gx270. It has been working fine until now. It started freezing up on me and then when I rebooted I got message "press F1 to continue or F2 to enter setup". I went into setup and the hard drive did not show up. It said unknown device for primary IDE device. After shutting down...

Drive Not Recognized in Windows XP [ 2 Answers ]

!! PLEASE HELP ME!! Okay, I have been beating my head against the wall for two days now, and I have been without my system for a week, so I'd really appreciate the help. I built a system three days ago and everything was going perfectly had programs up and functioning great. I have two...

View more questions Search