Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2009, 11:35 AM
    Sick after eating eggs
    I've been having this problem the last few months, where I get sick after I eat eggs. I can't eat them at all unless they're in baked foods or something like that. I always get a queasy feeling in my stomach, sometimes along with a tension headache. I don't know why I'm having this reaction to them, because it's never been that way. I haven't tried organic eggs yet, I'm hoping that if I do that I won't feel sick after them. I figure it's worth a shot, because I really like eggs.

Why could this be happening?
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Sep 11, 2009, 12:11 PM

Could be that you've developed an allergy to eggs. If it continues I would suggest an allergy test.
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2009, 02:41 PM

Jeez, that would REALLY suck.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2009, 03:28 PM

Or it could even be something you eat the eggs with. Like, I always have to have ketchup on my eggs.
    Are you eating fresh eggs? Are they cooked all the way? If yes to both of those and it's even after plain eggs, I'd lean towards possible allergy too.
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2009, 04:43 PM

Well no I usually just have them scrambled, sometimes with cheese, and a bit of salt and pepper, sometimes I add green peppers, ham, etc.

The thing is, is that there are eggs in pastrys and stuff, and it doesn't bother me then. Someone told me it could be because of the brand of eggs I'm eating, depending on what the producer feeds it's chickens, I don't know. I want to try organic eggs. Hopefully that helps
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Sep 12, 2009, 07:50 AM

It could be a sensitivity, not an allergy. Eggs in small amounts wouldn't bother you, but larger amounts and/or more concentrated (not part of a dough) would have more of an effect.

Think of it like being lactose sensitive. Milk in moderation or in something is fine, but large amounts of milk products and plain milk are not.

Try the organic eggs, or even farm-fresh eggs, and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't then I would still suggest an allergy test.
    spiritcharms Posts: 230, Reputation: 30

Sep 12, 2009, 02:21 PM

How do you know its not the cheese, rather than the eggs? Or the ham for that matter? Cheese is probably more likely to cause headache or allergies,depending on the type and strength of the cheese,plus it can be sickly too.
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2009, 10:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritcharms View Post
    how do you know its not the cheese, rather than the eggs? or the ham for that matter? cheese is probably more likely to cause headache or allergies,depending on the type and strength of the cheese,plus it can be sickly too.
    Because whenever I eat cheese or ham it never bothers me. It's always just the eggs.
    Ultra Member

Sep 12, 2009, 10:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    it could be a sensitivity, not an allergy. eggs in small amounts wouldn't bother you, but larger amounts and/or more concentrated (not part of a dough) would have more of an effect.

think of it like being lactose sensitive. milk in moderation or in something is fine, but large amounts of milk products and plain milk are not.

try the organic eggs, or even farm-fresh eggs, and see if it makes a difference. if it doesn't then i would still suggest an allergy test.
    I think I'm going to test out the organic egg thing, you're probably right. My boyfriend's dad always has organic eggs in the fridge, I think I'll ask him to let me make one to try that theory. You're probably right though, about the sensitivity thing. If I was allergic, I don't think I'd be able to have it in pastrys even.
    IMberains Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2009, 03:16 PM
    I agree with ohsohappy, if I eat egg 30 minutes to an hour later I am sick to my stomach unable to bare any activity. Though if is baked in food like cake... this does not occur. I will also try the organic eggs, thank you for creating this topic... I am sick of being sick.
    Cheers, IMberains
    pinkangelgirl Posts: 45, Reputation: 8

Jan 9, 2010, 08:20 PM

I agree with the other posts, this sounds like a food allergy or food sensitivity. Its more likely a food sensitivity which can develop at any time in a persons life. You could have a food allergy test or also try a home test by taking your pulse before eating, then after eating eggs on their own, take your pulse 10mins after and then again in 30mins. If it has increased by 10 beats or more then its likely you have an allergy or sensitivity to them. The best way is to listen to your body and how it reacts to food which seems to be what your doing. Goodluck and let us know how it goes:)
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2010, 11:01 PM

Funny story, now it only happens once and a while.
    Because I had some hard-boiled eggs earlier, and then a half hour after that I had dinner, and then my tummy hurt.

And the other day I went to breakfast with my father and I had a scrambler and why stomach didn't hurt at all. So maybe it's the eggs we're getting? Or maybe it's what I eat WITH them.
    I don't know.
    Also, I had eggs yesterday and I felt fine. So it's weird.

Sometimes my stomach hurts, others it doesn't. I have no clue.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2010, 11:44 PM

Did you ever try the organic eggs and compare? Could the eggs be old? Like, past the use by/sell by date?

I wonder if the scrambler was made from fresh cracked eggs or that "real egg product" stuff. Could that be it?
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2010, 04:18 PM

No I never tried the organic eggs. I want to but my mom won't buy them, and seeing as I don't have A car, I can't go to the store. I think the scrambler was made from fresh eggs, but There's really no way for me to know.

And as for if they're expired, I hope not, that's a good point, I should definitely check that, because it hadn't occurred to me before.
    ammie04 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2010, 04:20 PM
    I have a similar problem with eggs but with me it's very painful - my throat feels like someone is squishing it, my jaw, chest, and back hurt. I have no problem eating anything with eggs cooked in it but eggs by themselves are a problem. I tried separating the yolk and just having egg whites and that did the trick. I don't know why it worked but since I can't stomach the smell of the yolks anyway (the white has no smell) it's even better. I add a piece of cheese when I scramble them and it looks like the yolk is still there. That doesn't help if you like fried eggs, but if you can manage without them then eliminating the yolk might help you as well.
    lJ. Posts: 446, Reputation: 21

Aug 7, 2010, 12:39 AM

The eggs may not be cooked!
    Consult your doctor! They could help you determine why.
    Do you put anything on the eggs?
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...7230758AAoxiuM
    Drema1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2010, 11:58 PM
    I have a bad reaction to eggs. My stomach blows up with gas, cramping, cold sweats, nausea, and sulfur burps ( rotten eggs smell). I self diagnosed myself with egg allegeries, or intolerence. I can eat eggs when they are in a cake and etc, but not whole. If I ate a eggs everyone would hate it, it's that bad.

I have a bad reaction to eggs. My stomach blows up with gas, cramping, cold sweats, nausea, and sulfur burps ( rotten eggs smell). I self diagnosed myself with egg allegeries, or intolerence. I can eat eggs when they are in a cake and etc, but not whole. If I ate a eggs everyone would hate it, it's that bad.

lJ. Posts: 446, Reputation: 21

Aug 8, 2010, 10:05 PM

Consult your doctor!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My 1yr old puppy is sick, vomiting.not worms, sick only in morning. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello:) I am new here.. My 1yr old pup, Gracie, is a house dog, she is 1/2 Pomeranian & 1/2 Min. Doberman. For the last few days she has been vomiting in the morning, that is the only time she does. We are very careful what she eats & as we live in town, she stays indoor.. even to void. She is...

Puppy is sick for 4 days.is it serious?not eating but drinking water.will he recover? [ 6 Answers ]

My 5month old puppy has been sick for 4 days. Not eating by himself,we feed him,but he drinks water by himself. Took him to the vet 2 times.. he doesn't do a lot, and doesn't poop. Is his illness serious or will he recover?

Sick dog not eating [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 7 yr old male golden retriever who has been diagnosed with hip dysplasia and got very sick, however, now the vet thinks there might be a tick bite also involved, he Is on pain pills and antibiotics and stomach medicine. He has quit eating and I need to know FAST what to give him. He was...

Sick from eggs ? [ 3 Answers ]

My husband (and his mother) put the empty egg shells back into the carton (in the same carton as the unsed eggs) and back into the fridge until all the shells are empty and then dispose the carton full of empty shells into the trash. Is this safe ? Can this contaminate my other foods or unsed eggs...

Mini Dash Being Sick after Eating [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a mini Dash who is now 7 years old, recently she has been gagging as if she has something stuck in her throat. It does not happen all the time yet today she has been sick after eating her food. I always soak her food but today she had difficulty in swallowing it, she kept vomitting...

View more questions Search