Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    janice finney Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2006, 09:45 AM
    first editions
    How can you tell whether a hardback book is a first edition?
    Are they valued more than those that are not first editions?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2006, 04:23 PM
    Check the date of the publication on the book, then double check it with information you find on the book - when it was written, first published, who published it. You can do that via a Google search or utilize your library and their staff, or take it to a bookdealer whose speciality is antique books and have it appraised. There are many factors to consider value, not just first edition status. For example, the popularity of the author is a factor. A first edition of a Hemingway novel will exceed the value of a first edition of a virtually unknown author. A second factor is the condition of the book - the bindings, paper, strains, rips, etc.

Yes, first editions are generally more valuable than second and third and so on. Remember that the value is multi-faceted. There is insurance value, historical value (in some cases), and the perceived value in a sale. The amount you come to after doing research may not be what the buyer is in agreement with.

Best of luck to you! Have fun!
    Zipper Posts: 116, Reputation: 8

Nov 20, 2006, 05:36 PM
    Some will say "First Edition published...(date)"
    Some simply "Published (year)"

More modern books have a number sequence on the copyright page that looks something like this:
    1 3 5 7 9 10 8 6 4 2

The highest number (in this case 10) shows which edition it is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two xp home editions [ 10 Answers ]

I have a computer with XP home on it. I want to format and re-install XP home. Installation goes fine until after setup files are copied onto the hard disk. When the computer restarts it asks me which OS I want to boot, and I have a choice between 2 XP home editions, one of which does not work, and...

View more questions Search