Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Writer1026 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2009, 08:18 PM
    Hate my mother
    I think I hate my mother. She is 81 and in terrific health. She is unkind to me - and puts me down. My daughter is getting married and she will not come to the wedding because we are not inviting my niece who is 6. My daughter does not want children at her wedding and it is an evening wedding. My mother favors my niece over my daughters and considered it a slap in the face hen my daughter did not have her cousin as a flower girl. When she found out kids were not invited to the wedding, she went ballistic. Now my brother and his wife have gone crazy too and refuse to attend the wedding if their daughter is not invited. I only have a mother, step-father, brother, sister-in-law and niece for family on my side. They are writing us off for the holidays as well since they are no longer comfortable associating with us!

My daughter and her fiancé do not want kids at the wedding - but it seems that I will not have a family at all - and I do love my bother and do not want to hurt him.

Are there any reasonable accommodations. They want the niece at the wedding and dinner - they will take her home early - my mother will leave when they do.

ANY IDEAS? Thanks!
    dincher Posts: 163, Reputation: 12

Sep 10, 2009, 08:20 PM

I would invite the niece alone and just get it over with. Your mother is old, I think she needs to get her wishes accommodated - hate her or not, she won't be around too long.

Just invite the niece - it's not like you're inviting a classroom of kids. Besides, the niece won't have other children to play with so she won't be rowdy.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 11, 2009, 09:39 AM

This whole thing is what your daughter wants, so everyone can just chill, and do as she wishes.

Weddings are about the bride, not the family. Support your daughter, and to hell with everyone else's opinion, and attitude.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2009, 09:46 AM

Its your daughters wedding not your mothers so she has no right to call the shots.if your mother can't handle that that's her problem.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2009, 10:15 AM

Tal is correct,its your daughters wedding!
    Not your mothers,not your nieces.

Don't even try to keep the peace,if your mother wants to swing her weight around,let her,but not at your daughters wedding,and not at your mental and emotional expense.

Invite her over to see the DVD,so see can see her granddaughters wedding.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Sep 11, 2009, 10:21 AM
    The others are right. It's your daughter's wedding, so let her invite whoever she wants. It's up to your daughter to talk to her grandma (your mom) and her uncle (your brother) if she wants to work out the issues.

Don't forget, this is also her future husband's wedding too. So it's up to them to decide how they want to proceed. You just got to be supportive of their choices/decisions and let them face the consequences of their decisions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does my mother hate me so much? [ 13 Answers ]

My mother for some reason hates me so much it hurts, she can't stand my face and has been telling me this from a very young age. I feel I've had a sad childhood, in my teens unless I was working and paying money at home she would ignore me and make life hell. Her not talking to me but giving extra...

I hate my mother [ 17 Answers ]

My mother: Cheated on my dad with my best friends dad when I was around 7/8, and was supposed to leave me Dad for him, however they got back together. Things seemed okay for a while after that. Whilst I was around 13, my mother was cheating on my Dad who at that point worked nights, all the...

Why would a child hate his/her mother ? [ 2 Answers ]

Why would a child have feelings of hatred towards his/her own mother ? What could possibly trigger this ?

Why does a mother love one child and hate another [ 8 Answers ]

All my life my mother has hated me. She loves my sister, I was the one she made cook and clean and my sisters never had too. I am the youngest of her 3 daughters. Sher just told me about 2 months ago that she could not come back around me because I was the devil and she was Jesus. And she told me...

I hate my mother [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a 30yr old wife and mom to an adorable 2yr old boy.I feel like I've finally got myself and my family put together and established but it's my once very stable parents who are falling apart.im an only child and I had a picture perfect childhood.my mother was a stay at home mom and my father was...

View more questions Search