Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sniperblade9 Posts: 138, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2009, 06:44 PM
    New at playing guitar
    I'm new at playing guitar and I get bored of just pressing a few strings. Does anyone know any cool short and simple songs I could play? Any tips about playing or taking care of a guitar would be nice too.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2009, 11:46 PM
    Hi, sniperblade9!

What kind of guitar do you have and what type of guitar playing are you trying to do, please? Also, what kind of music do you want to play? It would be helpful to know those things in order to advise you the best here.

As far as playing short and simple melodies on a guitar, that's not hard to do at all. Also, if you're using a chord method for playing, there are many simple pieces that can be learned right away. But, they might not be the kinds of music that you really want to play.

Thanks!
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2009, 01:01 AM
    Hi again, sniperblade9!

So, how is the guitar playing coming along, please?

Thanks!

Sep 17, 2009, 08:32 PM
    I have a 6 string guitar and I have a amp that plugs into it. I like to listen rock,metal, and hard rock music so I would like to learn stuff around that. I do like to play, but I don't like just pressing a note. I want to actually play a little song or rhythm.
    none12345 Posts: 1,439, Reputation: 234
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2009, 10:42 PM

Play all the classics acoustic songs.

Green Day - Good Riddance

Coldplay - The Scientist/Yellow

Oasis - Wonderwall

Just a few to start. =P These are the few basics almost every guitarists know how to play XD
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2009, 10:45 PM
    Hi again, sniperblade9!

Can you read written music, like tablature or that which has notes on the staff?

Thanks!
    pat61 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2009, 10:52 AM
    We guessed a six string, but is it acoustic or electric? Electric is easier to play, IMO.

Dream On - Aerosmith

e+-4-----4-----3-----3-----4-----4-----3-----3-----4-----4-----6-----6-----8-------8-------8---------
    B+-6-----6-----4-----4-----3-----3-----2-----2-----6-----6-----8-----8-----9-------9-------9---------
    G+----5-----5-----5-----5-----5-----5-----5-----5-----5-----5-----5-----5------------------10--------
    D+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------10-----10--10------
    A+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    E+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

e+-4-----4-----3-----3-----4-----4-----3-----3-----4-----4-----6-----6-----8-------8-------6---
    B+-6-----6-----4-----4-----3-----3-----2-----2-----6-----6-----6-----6-----6-------6-------6---
    G+----5-----5-----5-----5-----5-----5-----5-----5-----5-----5-----5-----5----------------------
    D+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    E+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

e+-4---6---8-----8----8\-6---6------------------------------
    B+-6---6---9-----9----8\-6---6------------------------------
    G+----------------------------------6--5--6--5--6--5--6--5--
    D+-----------------------------------------------------------
    A+-----------------------------------------------------------
    E+-----------------------------------------------------------

\=Slide to next set

Rest here Dream On Tab (ver 2) by Aerosmith @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2009, 11:53 AM
    Hi, pat61!

I'm hopeful that sniperblade9 will return to this thread! We don't know yet what sniperblade9 is able to read yet concerning that which might be on a page or pages of printed music in one form or the other...

Thanks!

Sep 21, 2009, 06:26 PM

Lol then might as well explain...

The top line on the tablature means the bottom string on the guitar(High Note), Assuming you play right Handed guitar(Strum with Right). And going down accordingly to the strings. The number is the fret you press down, like the first fret is the guitar is the first place you put you fingers, the end of the neck.

------^First Fret
    Sylvanta Sybil Posts: 74, Reputation: 5

Sep 23, 2009, 12:45 AM

Hi sniperblade9, try Matchbox 20's music. All the songs in their 90's albums are pretty simple.

Try ULTIMATE GUITAR TABS ARCHIVE | 300,000+ Guitar Tabs, Bass Tabs, Chords and Guitar Pro Tabs!

To grab them tabs.

Have fun!
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2009, 12:59 PM
    Hi, Sylvanta Sybil!

Is that site free to use, please?

Thanks!

Sep 23, 2009, 09:26 PM
    Sorry for not replying fast :P been kind of busy with life. I don't know how to read musical notes hardly at all, but the songs mentioned sound fun to play. I get what pat it showing and saying to me, just don't know what the numbers mean. I feel stupid trying to play, but I really want to. I would love to be a famous guitarist. Since I probably should learn how to read notes, I should try that too. Thanks for all the help everyone.
    Uber Member

Sep 23, 2009, 09:54 PM
    Hi again, sniperblade9!

I can help you with learning the basics about music theory right on this site!

Please let me know on this thread, if you'd be interested in some free lessons?

Thanks!

Sep 24, 2009, 03:58 PM
    Some Youtube Links that will help

How To Read Tab is on YouTube lost the link

And here are some video lessons
    YouTube - beginnerguitarlesson's Channel

He is good, I like his bro for piano though.
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 08:56 PM
    Hi, pat61!

Do you play the piano or guitar?

Thanks!
    MAINTMANstl Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2009, 09:18 PM

Buy a beginers guitar book or an EZ book. The main thing that helped me was keeping my guitar in tune. You will get out what you put in. speaking of that, I need to pick mine a lot more then I do.

Sep 27, 2009, 12:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, Sylvanta Sybil!

Is that site free to use, please?

Thanks!
    Oh yes, Clough, totally free, my bro showed it to me... It's got reviews and new too, you can also contribute. No SPAMs in my mail from that site, so far.

Cool huh? :)
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2009, 12:47 AM
    Hi again, Sylvanta Sybil!

Yeah, it's great to find sites that are free to use that are also helpful!

Thanks for sharing!

Sep 27, 2009, 12:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperblade9 View Post
    Sorry for not replying fast :P been kinda busy with life. I don't know how to read musical notes hardly at all, but the songs mentioned sound fun to play. I get what pat it showing and saying to me, just don't know what the numbers mean. I feel stupid trying to play, but i really want to. I would love to be a famous guitarist. Since I probably should learn how to read notes, i should try that too. Thanks for all the help everyone.
    We'd love to hear you play soon :)

I started with a simple chord chart, the whole A to G thing, and I got to say the F's and B's were a pain... Some songs got those letters on top of the words, so you just got to strum them (kinda like the Matchbox 20 songs I told you about), then when you get used to that you can move on to the complicated ones, with the illustration of the fret bar... And the numbers... The links they gave you to learn are all pretty neat, but here's to help:

When you see this, for instance:

e:---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    B:---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    G:---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
    D:-5-5---------3-3---------5-5---------3-3-----8-7---------------------------|
    A:-3-3-3-3-3-3-1-1-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-1-1-1-1-6-5---------------------------|
    E:---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

First things first, tabs are read upside-down ---
    So the "e:-------" is the string at the bottom of your guitar (that's if you're using the standard six-string), and the "E:-------" is the string at the top, the deepest, biggest one.
    So yeah, upside down.

Then,

The letters on the left of the ":-------" refers to the tuning. So this one is standard (E,A,D,G,B,e).

The numbers are the fret.
    e.g, number 3, is the third fret, it means that third space on the fret bar from the guitar's headstock (the part where you turn a few knobs to tune),
    Number 5 means the 5th fret... and so on.

So if you see a:

e:-------
    B:-------
    G:-------
    D:-5-5---
    A:-3-3-3-
    E:-------

That means you got to hold down the 2nd and 3rd string from the top, at the 3rd and 5th fret, at the same time, and then hit it! >_<
    LOL it sounds complicated but no not really.

And I'm sorry if any terms or explanations were bad or wrong, no professional training, hee-hee.

There you go, hope it helped!! :)

Sep 27, 2009, 12:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi again, Sylvanta Sybil!

Yeah, it's great to find sites that are free to use that are also helpful!

Thanks for sharing!
    Aww :o thanks to you too!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Guitar! Guitar!. need an online guru!. [ 9 Answers ]

Okay.. here's the thing: I have an electric guitar on me with a mini-amp and I love playing with it but I want to learn how to actually play it. After repeated 'playing' I have learned the strokes and fingering a little bit on my own but without some theoretical understanding, I don't seem to...

Guitar [ 1 Answers ]

How do I fix the input jack on my electric guitar, I guess it was loose, and fell inside my guitar. I have an epiphone dot archtop, so I was able to get it out through the opening on the side of my guitar, but the jack is connected to a wire, and I don't know how to get it back to the hole and...

Need to know how to fix my guitar? [ 7 Answers ]

So, my guitar is a walden, acoustic. The peg on the bridge for the low e string will not go entirely in the hole. So after I've put the strings all on my guitar, that one peg sits higher than the rest, and I wonder if it's going to just give. I don't want any one to get hurt, also I don't want...

Which guitar amp is better? [ 4 Answers ]

Which guitar amp is better, a Line 6 Spider III 75 or a Crate XT120R 120W?

Which guitar do I get? [ 5 Answers ]

I have $250. Should I get the douglas wrl 595 emg ice blue Douglas WRL 595 EMG Ice Blue at HomeOld Or the esp ex 260 ESP EX-260 Thanks, ...

View more questions Search