Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2009, 04:05 PM

Robert Ludlum Bourne books
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bou...#37;28novel%29

I still love books I read when I was a child.
    Enid Blyton books like the Magic Faraway Tree,Malory Towers series,St.Clare's series,Famous Five,Secret Seven and the Adventure series too.
    Enid Blyton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Oct 10, 2009, 05:21 PM
    Children's books I loved

The Hardy Boys - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just So Stories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 11, 2009, 12:34 AM

How could I forget Nancy Drew sleuthing books.
    The History of Nancy Drew

Talking about sleuthing I loved all of the Sherlock Holmes books by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
    Sherlock Holmes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Oct 11, 2009, 12:48 AM

Any of the fiction/action book series by Clive Cussler.

Clive Cussler

Clive Cussler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cussler is a local (for me) successful author from Aurora, Illinois about 10 miles from me.

I have all his books in hardback, he is interesting, exciting, and he is an easy read. With all the reports, manuals, business magazines and books that I have to read, he is my escape. Marta loves him also. He is quite the success story.

Stringer
    summer7 Posts: 344, Reputation: 44

Oct 11, 2009, 06:18 PM

Good post FirmBeliever

This is an interesting book!

Amazon.com: iBrain: Surviving the Technological Alteration of the Modern Mind: Gary Small, Gigi Vorgan: Books

Now go have some fun!:D:rolleyes::p!!!
    Rhiannnonn Posts: 62, Reputation: 4

Oct 28, 2009, 11:26 AM

I have to agree with hheath541 about Anne Rice and Anne MacCafferty (are we spelling that right? Somehow it doesn't look it). I started reading the Dragonrider books when I was pregnant with my daughter, and here I am, five grandchildren later, still waiting for when I can get the new ones I've missed. (To be honest, I am kind of glad that her son will be picking up for her when she stops writing, or so I thought I read somewhere.)

Seeing "A Tale of Two Cities" mentioned made me think about how long its been since I've read it. And how much I'd like to read classics like it, and a few others, again -- "Wuthering Heights," "Jane Eyre," "War and Peace," "The Count of Monte Cristo," "The Three Musketeers," etc.

And as for redhead35's choice of "for one more day," I would have to agree without having read it yet. Mitch Albom writes well. I loved Tuesdays With Morrie" and "The Five People You Meet in Heaven."

And, of course, there would have to be on the list anything by James Michner, James Clavell, James Jones, Robert Heinlein, Terry Prachett, Marion Bradley Zimmer (or is it Zimmer Bradley? I get it mixed up), Mary Stewart, Stephen R. Donaldson (particularly the "Thomas Covanant trilogies"), Greg Bear (and to think that the first place I read him was "Omni" magazine all those years ago...).

Then there's just about anything that I consider well written like "The Thornbirds." And anything Arthurian from "le Morte de' Artur" <sp?> on out to any book written about or from the POV of any Round Table personage.

Then there is other historical fiction, but I'm tending to lean more toward the historical than the fiction on that score anymore.
    bjohnrupp Posts: 293, Reputation: 32

Oct 28, 2009, 06:17 PM

I recommend the book "Busting Vegas" by Ben Mezrich. It's a compelling true story about the MIT students that counted cards!
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Oct 29, 2009, 10:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhiannnonn View Post
    I have to agree with hheath541 about Anne Rice and Anne MacCafferty (are we spelling that right? somehow it doesn't look it). I started reading the Dragonrider books when I was pregnant with my daughter, and here I am, five grandchildren later, still waiting for when I can get the new ones I've missed. (To be honest, I am kind of glad that her son will be picking up for her when she stops writing, or so I thought I read somewhere.)

And, of course, there would have to be on the list anything by James Michner, James Clavell, James Jones, Robert Heinlein, Terry Prachett, Marion Bradley Zimmer (or is it Zimmer Bradley? I get it mixed up), Mary Stewart, Stephen R. Donaldson (particularly the "Thomas Covanant trilogies"), Greg Bear (and to think that the first place I read him was "Omni" magazine all those years ago...).
    I remember reading something to that effect on her web site. I think anne mccafferty's son co-wrote the last book or two of the dragonriders series and wrote a few on his own that take place within the same universe, but not within the main storyline.

Marion zimmer bradley is an amazing author. I can't believe I forgot to mention her. I love the mists of avalon series.

I would like to add anne bishop to my list. I'm about half-way through the second book of her black jewels trilogy and can't seem to put the book down for more than a couple hours at a time.

Oct 29, 2009, 06:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    i remember reading something to that effect on her web site. i think anne mccafferty's son co-wrote the last book or two of the dragonriders series and wrote a few on his own that take place within the same universe, but not within the main storyline.

marion zimmer bradley is an amazing author. i can't believe i forgot to mention her. i love the mists of avalon series.

i would like to add anne bishop to my list. I'm about half-way through the second book of her black jewels trilogy and can't seem to put the book down for more than a couple hours at a time.
    I think Anne McCaffery's website was where I'd gotten the info from when I first heard about it. She'd had one or more strokes and was going to have to start taking things easier, if I remember right.

As for Marion Zimmer Bradley, I got into "The Mists of Avalon" just because it's time frame was during the period of Merlin and Arthur. I have gotten another of the Avalon books and I just can't seem to get very far into it.

As for Anne Bishop and her "Black Jewels," I can't say that they ring any bells. Although, that does make me think of Anne McCaffery's Killashandra Ree "The Crystal Singer."
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Oct 29, 2009, 07:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhiannnonn View Post
    I think Anne McCaffery's website was where I'd gotten the info from when I first heard about it. She'd had one or more strokes and was going to have to start taking things easier, if I remember right.

As for Marion Zimmer Bradley, I got into "The Mists of Avalon" just because it's time frame was during the period of Merlin and Arthur. I have gotten another of the Avalon books and I just can't seem to get very far into it.

As for Anne Bishop and her "Black Jewels," I can't say that they ring any bells. Although, that does make me think of Anne McCaffery's Killashandra Ree "The Crystal Singer."
    Since you like anne mccafferty, you'll probably like anne bishop, too. Even though they have completely different writing styles, there's something about them that seems similar. Maybe it's because they both created intricate, multi-faceted, societies and worlds they you can almost see yourself living in.
    YoungHyperLink Posts: 152, Reputation: 13

Oct 31, 2009, 01:11 PM

CS Lewis' Space Trilogy, composed of Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength, is one of my very favorite series. I've read each of the books at least four times. They are amazing.

Nov 1, 2009, 02:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    since you like anne mccafferty, you'll probably like anne bishop, too. even though they have completely different writing styles, there's something about them that seems similar. maybe it's because they both created intricate, multi-faceted, societies and worlds they you can almost see yourself living in.
    Thanks! I'll have to look for her books and check them out. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recommend a good read [ 2 Answers ]

Lately, I've been reading Karin Slaughter books. Can anyone recommend an author who writes similar type books. I also like Tess Gerrittsen, and have read most of her books. Kathy Reich writes similar books but I'm not too keen on her style of writing. Thanks

Good books to read [ 17 Answers ]

Hey! I've read twilght saga and they were so good but I can't thin of other books to read:confused: can you please recommend me to a good book like twilight saga ? THANKS

What's a good book to read? [ 8 Answers ]

My mom is badgering me, telling me that I watch too much TV. Reading a good book is the only thing that really entertains me other than video games and TV. Can anyone recommend a good book. I'm into action books like the Bourne series which I've read each book twice. The Guardians of Time series...

Read any good books lately? [ 29 Answers ]

I'm always looking for something new and interesting to read! Does anyone have any suggestions?

View more questions Search