Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scout11 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2009, 12:16 PM
    No lease, being sued for back rent
    I rented a trailer for 2 years, told the landlord I was moving out. The electricity was in his name, not mine. Rent was paid up until the 1st of August. I got an eviction notice at the end of July, called the landlord and he said it was a mistake! I then moved out two weeks later.

Now he has filed a small claim trying to sue me for back rent. The thing is, sometimes I gave him a check, sometimes I gave him cash. I do have a handwritten note he gave me stating I owed 350.00 in rent and also electric, but the electric is in his name, not mine! He now says it is 900.00 in back rent! BS!

There was never an agreement in writing and I never got a receipt. I know how stupid this sounds but I am 23 and this was my first rental.

I decided to move when he offered to take the rent out in trade.

Scout

Does he have a case?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 10, 2009, 12:20 PM

Sure he has a case since neither of you have anything in writing. If it went to court it would be his word againist yours. He probably knows this too so I'd wait him out to see if he really thinks he can win in small claims.

Sep 10, 2009, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Sure he has a case since neither of you have anything in writing. If it went to court it would be his word againist yours. He probably knows this too so I'd wait him out to see if he really thinks he can win in small claims.
    I have a paper he gave me stating I owe $350.00 in back rent, he wants electricity too but it was not in my name, can he win?

Sep 10, 2009, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by scout11 View Post
    I have a paper he gave me stating I owe $350.00 in back rent, he wants electricity too but it was not in my name, can he win?
    Also, he decided to evict me after I told him I was moving! I was there for 2 years and always paid rent. Sometimes it was late sure, I am a kid but I always paid.

Sep 10, 2009, 12:26 PM

The paper is worthless unless you signed it and gave him a copy showing you agreed to the debt. He won't get the electric paid unless he sues you and wins, doubtful.

Sep 10, 2009, 12:29 PM
    You did not say how long before Aug 1st you gave notice, must be 30 days since you are a month to month tenant. If paid until Aug 1st and you moved two weeks after the eviction notice then you owe another months rent even though you only stayed 2 weeks, you owe for the month. Let him sue you, he has no proof of anything.

Sep 10, 2009, 12:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    The paper is worthless unless you signed it and gave him a copy showing you agreed to the debt. He won't get the electric paid unless he sues you and wins, doubtful.
    OK, so what should I do? I am suppose to be in court on OCT 6 but I can't afford an attorney. If it rules in his favor, will they arrest me? Garnish wages? This guy is pissed off because he wanted to "take rent out in trade" and I decided to move. I gave verbal notice, (dumb) but if this old jerk wants to hurt me, can he?HELP!

Sep 10, 2009, 12:31 PM

I told him the 1st week of July, he evicted me on July 28th. He gave me two weeks, he had my security deposit, so that should be the last months rent.

Sep 10, 2009, 12:32 PM

This is the first mention of court, got any more surprises for me to consider? Go to court, even if t you do not win they will not arrest you. A judgement may be put on you if he wins but that is another story in collecting. What are your states laws about garnishment of wages.

Sep 10, 2009, 12:33 PM
    What state are you in?

Sep 10, 2009, 12:40 PM
    I stated in my first post that he filed a small claim. That is the only surprise! I will have to check the laws here in Florida about garnishment and get back.
    Thanks

Sep 10, 2009, 12:42 PM

Florida

Sep 10, 2009, 12:45 PM

Debtors' Rights in Florida Are you the head of a household?

Sep 10, 2009, 12:45 PM

No

Sep 10, 2009, 12:47 PM

Too bad, in FL the head can't be garnished.

Sep 10, 2009, 12:53 PM

So, I am a student, I am a waitress, so he can get the court to garnish my wages when he has no proof of non payment? He can say anything and screw me over when I am just a kid and he is an ?

Thanks for all your help.

Sep 10, 2009, 01:44 PM

He can say almost anything but the judge is no dummy and has seen this all before. The judge may feel that a landlord who doesn't give recipts or have a lease is just a big fool. You stand a fair chance and actually have little choice at this point since you have your court date. Consult a local attorney to see what they think and what they might charge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being Sued for unpaid rent when I never signed Lease [ 1 Answers ]

Me and 4 others planned on living in a house near our University. We paid security deposit and landlord said he would email us all a copy of the lease and we would individually sign it and mail it to him along with a check for 1st months rent. Only 2 of us were to move in on the day of the start of...

Sued For rent with out lease agreement [ 4 Answers ]

I moved into my girlfriends parents home after they offered me a place to stay for $200/mnth. Since then I have paid my rent and everything was still a bit hairy while I was there. I recently got into a spot of trouble when I got behind on some bills so we had an agreement for me to pay just the...

Being sued for rent not on lease [ 3 Answers ]

I moved into my friend's apartment in September 2006 in place of her roommate who was moving out. My name was never on the lease. I paid the previous roommate her half of the security back under the conditions that when myself and the present roommate moved out I would get my security back. It was...

Commercial lease - being sued for old rent [ 9 Answers ]

I will try to keep this very short. My wife's Michigan business recently closed and moved out of the facility - with proper notice to LL. She was off-lease - it had expired months before so it was a month-to-month arrangement. BTW, the business is incorporated. Several months after closing we...

View more questions Search