Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whiting1126 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2006, 07:19 AM
    Medicare Deduction
    I worked for the same company for 15 years. We were just bought out so I essentially became a new employee of the company that bought us on July 1st. In the past I would stop getting Medicare deducted from my pay around October. Will it still go on now that I switched employers?

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 28, 2006, 01:49 PM
    I do not see how you could get the Medicare deduction stopped, as the 1.45% Medicare tax applies to every dollar you earn.

Now, the 6.2% Social Security stops once you hit the $90K ceiling. It may not stop due to your new employer, but you should get the over-withholding back when you file your 2006 tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 to H1B - Itemized Deduction/ Standard Deduction? [ 17 Answers ]

Dear all, My status in US changed from F1 to H1B in mid Nov 2004. I was on F1 from Sep 2002-Nov 2004. Will I be able to take the standard deduction ? If so will it be under the US-India treaty? Please help. Regards.

Question of F1 opt ss taxes & medicare deduction [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I read the "Pub of F1 opt Social Security taxes & medicare deduction ". But for my case is: I have been USA for more than 5 years, but I hold F1 only for 2 years, J2 and H4 before. Do I qualify for F1 opt ss taxes & medicare deduction? Thanks

Pub of F1 opt Social Security taxes & medicare deduction [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, Currently, I work for a company in my OPT. But somehow I know my employee should not deduct my Social Security taxes & medicare taxes, the problem is that I just can't figure out which publication and where of the IRS noticed that. I checked the former thread that the tax expert mentioned...

Rental Deduction [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! Can a H1B holder claim deduction for rent ? Also can they claim for job miles ? My tax consultant is saying that a H1B holder can claim both rent and job miles deductions. Please let me know. Thanks a lot for your help. Chandra.

Standard Deduction Vs itemized Deduction [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am an Indian citizen. I as on a F1 status till Oct 18th 2004 and then I got converted to a H1B on Oct 18th 2004. I do not pass the standard presence test. Correct me if I am wrong, but I guess I have been able to determine that I am a Non Resident Alien and not a dual-status nonresident...

View more questions Search