Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Katie_43 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2009, 09:30 AM
    Possible father signing the Birth Certificate
    Okay, I am 4 months pregnant. There are two possible fathers to my child and I am unsure who is the biological one. One of the guys, I haven't spoken to in over 3 months, and the other is set on being the father, he has taken me to doctor appointments, he wants the baby to have his lastname and be on the birth certificate. We aren't together (boyfriend/girlfriend) but we are working together for the baby. He doesn't want a parternity test, so can he legally sign the birth certificate? And, I haven't told him that there is another guy in the picture, because I know that he will be a great father, and I don't want to crush his dreams of being a dad. So I'm in a pretty tight spot, any help or suggestions would be great.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2009, 09:35 AM

Rather than lie - and it is a crime in most (if not all States) to misrepresent the father of the child - you must wait for the child to be born and then have DNA testing. It is also unfair to the man who THINKS he's the father to have him sign the birth certificate and accept responsibility for the child until the age of majority.

It doesn't appear you were terribly honest with the man who thinks he's the father during your relationship with him but it is terribly dishonest to make him think it's his child when perhaps it is not.

If DNA testing shows he's the father, no problem and whether you "confess" is up to you. If DNA shows he is not the father, then you have to explain and pursue the birth father for support.

To lie is unfair to the child and both fathers. Maybe one or both men will walk away - only time will tell but you can pursue one for child support.

Good luck - you're in a bad spot.
    Katie_43 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2009, 01:34 PM
    I did tell the other guy that there is a possibility of him being the father. He wants nothing to do with me or the baby. He said he would deny having any relations with me or even the knowledge of knowing me, so he wouldn't have to pay for a DNA test.
    I know I'm in a tight spot, but I don't have much support from anyone to make these big decisions.
    Question: How is it a crime if you don't know if the man is the father, he is willing to give his name to the baby and sign the certificate. There isn't any child support being paid either? Just curious.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2009, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie_43 View Post
    I did tell the other guy that there is a possibility of him being the father. He wants nothing to do with me or the baby. He said he would deny having any relations with me or even the knowledge of knowing me, so he wouldn't have to pay for a DNA test.
    I know I'm in a tight spot, but I don't have much support from anyone to make these big decisions.
    Question: How is it a crime if you don't know if the man is the father, he is willing to give his name to the baby and sign the certificate. There isn't any child support being paid either? Just curious.
    If that lie worked in court, there would be no such thing as a paternity suit. He doesn't get to decide not to submit to the test. He doesn't have to pay for the test anyway.

The crime is perjury. Falsifying a government document. And just because there is no child support being paid now, that doesn't mean there won't ever be.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Sep 11, 2009, 01:45 PM
    Since you asked. How is it a crime ? Lets take a look at what your not looking at. Lets say the bio dad family has a history of heart deformity.. cancer.. etc. You put anyone's name on there. Later when your child is in trouble and they need questions answered well mommy picked the wrong guy so now you will never know. Could be that someday your child may look into their family tree and find out their great uncle was charlie manson instead of charlie sheen. Putting the correct information down is an absolute must. Lets take another example. The bio dad goes on to have children from another woman. Then later through school or activity the children meet. Hey look we don't share a dad according to my birth certificate. Yeah all kinds of things can go extremely wrong by not putting down the correct father on a birth certificate. That's why it's a crime.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2009, 01:58 PM
    It's a crime to the father who becomes emotionally attached and financially obligated for your sin and lie. You aren't in the position to make this choice for either of them. He is excited in partcipating in his child's life because your dishonest actions have lead him to believe that he is the only possible father.

Yes, it is embarrassing to have to admit to this person that you are not sure. It is humbling that you will have to do the right thing here, but it also an important lesson in parenting.

You are gambling with everyone's emotions, even your future child. Get yourself out of a 'tight' spot and do what is right for both men and your child.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2009, 02:00 PM

If there is ever a time in your life when you are unable to work and you need help from the state,they will come after the man on the BC.
    Or you need temporary food stamps,the State will come after the father who is on the birth certificate.
    Is it fair for a man to pay for a child who is not his?
    Do you really want to bring an innocent child into this world under such a dark cloud of deceit?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Father not around at birth. Want to add him to birth certificate/change babies name [ 1 Answers ]

At the time I had my son 5 months ago his father was not in the picture so I opted to not give him his last name or put his name on the birth certificate... however now his father came back and we are working things out.. how do I go about changing the birth certificate and my sons last name... do...

Non blogical fathers signing birth certificate [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, do not know if I am asking in the correct place but hope to get help. I have a friend who is an illegal immigrant who committed a huge mistake by signing a birth certificate to a little girl that is not his. His friend did not want to keep the baby and asked if he would be willing to keep it....

How to adopt an infant with the father not signing the birth certificate? [ 7 Answers ]

I had a baby awhile ago and the male that I had it with wasn't a very good man and was a poor judgement on my side. I have moved on and currently am soon to be getting married. It was never my choice that he didn't sign the birth certificate and he had many options to do so. He claims that he...

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

Boyfriend signing birth certificate [ 3 Answers ]

My baby's biological father has not been around for about 7 months now. Not even so much as a phone call which doesn't bother me at all considering he lives 3 hours away and can't manage his money for crap he's financially unstable but anyway my boyfriend has been here for every bit of this...

View more questions Search