Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    retiring2texas Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2009, 06:35 AM
    best way to attach wood top plate to ICF wall
    Hello,

I am the homeowner. ICF walls are poured with j-bolts spaced along the top horizontal edges.
    My 2x10 and 2x12 pressure treated top plates are stacked down on the slab.
    They used them as walk-boards during the pour.
    Walls are 9" reward wall and some 11" reward wall.

I have several roller scaffolds and ladders and a big box of nuts and washers.

I have wood trusses coming in soon.
    Roof is gabled.

Questions.
    1. What is the best way to match up holes in top plates to bolt threads?
    I used a rubber mallet and pounded the plate to get the impression for drilling a hole. OK?
    2. Should I use sill seal between top plate and concrete?
    3. Should I also liquid nail them?
    4. Should outer edges be flush and any overlap be on inside? I will stucco exterior...
    5. How do you best do joint between 2 plates? Just as is butted together or some kind of notch or what?
    Do you fill the joints with foam?
    6. This one is hard to explain, Should the gable end be continuous boards and then another board start with the 90 turn to the new wall? i.e. should the 20' gable truss sit down along 1 or 2 continuous top plates or its ends touch down on the start of the top plates that go out perpendicular or maybe it doesn't matter?
    7. How much to tighten the bolts? Til washer slightly crushes into top plate?

I did a small guest house in ICF and installed the top plates and had some minor problems but this is our main house so I want to ask and check the pros.

Thanks

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing rotten wood sill plate, studs, sheathing etc. [ 11 Answers ]

I recently bought a house. Along the front exterior wall, the former owners had build up a rock wall flower bed. It was about 1.5 ft high, 26 ft long and 2 ft out from the wall and filled with dirt. Though they had placed plastic between the dirt and the exterior wall, I was suspicious. I dug out...

How to attach a car port to a brick wall [ 3 Answers ]

Hello All, I'm thinking of adding a car port to my APT building. The outside is all bricks. How should the car port be attach to the brick wall. I heard a few strories and I'd like to have some real answers... please :eek: Attached you will find a pic and drawing of what I would like to do. My...

Attach item to brick wall [ 4 Answers ]

How do you attach a plaque to a brick wall with screws?

Decorative Swith Plate or Wall Plate and Switches [ 5 Answers ]

We're looking to replace our standard switch plates with "decorative" plates, mainly in the kitchen backsplash. We have seen plenty of options for the plates, from pewter to copper to nickel, etc. Are there options for the actual switches themselves? Can we get switches, such as simple light...

How can you attach a wood wall to concrete floor? [ 4 Answers ]

I need to build wood wall non bearing in a basement and attach the bottom plate to a concrete floor. What is the easiest and most secure method to do so. Should I use pressure treated wood for the bottom plate? Thanks.

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.