Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dakxx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2006, 05:24 AM
    Rent increase in NJ
    Hi, I have been renting an apartment for a about a year under a lease contract in New Jersey. I have had no problems with the landlord or have they had a problem with me that I am aware of. Heat and electric utilities are included in my rent. I am very mindful and considerate of the use of these utilities to keep the bills lower for my landlord. I do this to possibly avoid a rent increase. My lease is up in exactly 2 weeks from today. I planned on staying, as I like where I live. Last night I was given informal verbal notice that the rent will increase 19% ($185) at the beginning of the new lease. Rent is due in 2 weeks.. uhh. Well to me this seemed unreasonable. One that it will increase 19% and two that I am given 2 weeks notice. I would think 5% would be more reasonable if any. And as far as I know I should have at least 30 days written notice, although in my lease agreement it states that I should be notified 120 days before lease end to decide whether I want to renew. I am surprised to hear that my landlord wants to increase my rent that much, cause I am a good tenant. I keep the utility bills low, quiet, respectful, very clean and even watched her dog and saved its life when it was sick when she was on vacation 2000 miles away.:confused:

One of the reasons she says she is increasing it is because she says the IRS said she isn't making enough on the apartment and needs to increase the rent. She thinks she is going to be in trouble for business fraud or something like that. I didn't understand that reasoning. IRS enforces tax collection. If anything she would be paying more taxes on the increase.

I am basically looking for input on the situation and any information or laws about NJ rent increase.
    Possibly some opinions on what a reasonable rent increase should be in NJ and how much time I should be given before the raise takes affect.
    And of course what reasoning is valid for the increase? Does the IRS have anything to do with it?? Or does anyone come and tell a landlord what they should be charging? This sounds bogus.

Thanks
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2006, 06:49 AM
    Hello Dak:

When your lease is up, it converts to a month to month. That means she needs to give 30 days notice for any changes. She does not need a reason to raise the rent, and she can raise it as high as she wants, unless you live in a rent controlled building.

excon

PS> The IRS is giving business advice?? Yeah right!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent increase in the state of New Jersey [ 2 Answers ]

I have been renting a single family home in ocean countny for 4 years every year the landlord reaises the rent 25 dollars. This year with 6 days notice he raised it 200.00 I had no choice but to sign the new lease or vacate. Is this leagl in the state of New Jersey. And if not what can I do about...

Rent Increase - Proper Notice? NY State [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I am a landlord in NY State, what is the "proper notice" for notifying my tenant of a rent increase. The off-campus housing department at William Smith Hobart college which is located in Geneva, NY states that this proper notice is a minimum of 3 days prior to the end of the month. Thanks...

Increase in Rent [ 3 Answers ]

I was fortunate enough to acquire a rental problem on the Gulf Coast of MS one month before Hurricane Katrina devastated the area. I was extremely fortunate that the rental property had only minor damages. We were given the option of signing a 1 or 2 year lease and chose a 2 year contract with...

Notice to Increase Rent [ 6 Answers ]

What are the guidelines for raising rent? I can see it is pretty much a 30 day notice, but what percentage are you allowed to increase rent by in general (max amount)? Also, I am drafting a new lease, do I have to include a clause that states I'm allowed to increase the rent in the future, or is...

I need to increase the price. [ 1 Answers ]

How do I write a letter for a cleaning business to increase the price of the weekly cleaning. We have not had a price increase in 7 years.

View more questions Search