Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cchimblo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2009, 06:28 PM
    My 18 year lives dangerously
    I am very concerned with my beautiful daughter who has always been close to home and spent all her time with us (her parents). She would go out on weekends but would be home by 10:30, 11:00 or midnight depending on where she would go. She chose her friends wisely, and we liked all of them. Now she has turned 18 and it seems that immediately she has gone out of control, staying out all night, lying to us of her where abouts. She thinks nothing of walking dark streets alone at night by her self just to go look for these new friends of her's that she has chosen, they drink and smoke and possibly do drugs. When I confront her she tells me that it really is not my business and I can't do a damb thing about it because she is an adult. I just don't want her to be raped or even worse. She has been dressing very provocitive lately, and some maniac could just pull her in his car and kill her after he tortures her. She can't see this danger, what can I do to make her see the serious situation we have going on here.
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Sep 9, 2009, 06:44 PM

She is an adult and there nothing you can physically do but try to educate her. Do you know anyone that has been raped or hurt why an attacker? If so, have them talk and have her try to educate her. She will most likely go out and do what she wants when she wants whether you talk to her so just give her tips such as: never traveling alone, tell someone where your going and who your going with, etc..
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Sep 9, 2009, 10:59 PM
    Regardless of her age, it's your house, and your rules. Curfew, chores, etc. Nobody gets a free ride.

If she wants to be treated like an adult, treat her like an adult.

Consider rent, utilities, cable, phone, internet etc. If you are providing her with these ammenities, as an adult, she has to pay for them.

If you give her money, stop. If you pay her cell phone, stop. Disconnect the internet.

Calmly present your case in response to how she has decided to live her life, and make no compromises.

If she doesn't follow the rules as an 18 year old adult, tell her to make arrangements to move out.

Don't let her walk all over you. If you can stick to your guns, she will learn, and hopefully realize that even with rules and expectations and consequences in your home, it is better than what is available with her new lifestyle.
    mhansen73 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2009, 10:03 AM

When she leaves the house, call the police and get them to find her and bring her back home. Then get some counselling. Keep repeating this cycle until it WORKS! Somewhere along the way, you lost the connection you had with your daughter, and she is in serious trouble.
    mhansen73 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2009, 10:05 AM
    PS: If she won't come home, have her admitted for psychiatric evaluation in the local hospital. They can keep her for 3 days and help with some intense therapy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dangerously in love? [ 148 Answers ]

I am dating a guy who is 36 ( I am 23). He is in amazing shape and attractive! For the most part he has treated me well and has done a lot for me. He has totally wined and dined me. This is by far the best relationship I have ever been in. We have fallen madly in love with each other after 4...

State Filing where husband lives in PA, wife lives in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

In 2008, my husband lived and worked in PA, while I worked in PA, but lived in NJ. We would like to file jointly for our federal taxes, but are not sure how to file for the state taxes. Should I file MFS for my NJ taxes, and he file MFS for his PA taxes or should we file using another option?

I'm dangerously insecure [ 1 Answers ]

And it's only gotten worse. Every time I speak to my boyfriend I end up crying. I constantly think he is mad at me or cheating and he assures me he is not doing any of these things. I also get very worked up if he doesn't answer my calls or his text messages are very short or he doesn't respond at...

Claiming a grandchild that lives with you or does father that lives elsewhere? [ 6 Answers ]

My 18 year old daughter lives with me full time, is full time high school student, has had a baby 12/5/07 and the baby also lives with me. I do claim my daughter as a dependent. The baby is covered by his fathers insurance. Who claims the baby as a dependent on their taxes, the father or myself?

My 30 Year old brother still lives with my MOM! [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I need all the help I can get. Hear it is: What can I do to help my mom out of her crazy situation? My mom allowed my brother to come and live with her two and a half years ago with his wife and their four children. They were going into hard times and told my mom that they needed to get...

View more questions Search