Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cherijose Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2009, 02:27 PM
    Tax filing - Contract position on OPT - F1 visa
    I am a graduate student currently on an F1 visa and will have an H1B visa from October onwards. I graduated December 07 and worked on a contract position from 18th April 09 to 11th September 09. The company pays me an hourly rate and does not deduct taxes from my payment.

I will move 14th September onwards to another company on a full time position with an pre decided annual salary and biweekly pay and tax deductions.

How should I go about filing my taxes especially for the months I was on my OPT on F1 visa? Should I be paying medicare and social security taxes for this period too?

Thanks,
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Sep 9, 2009, 10:09 PM

If you are not married, then for 2009 you will file nonresident tax return with Form 8843.
    You have OPT income as independent contractor, which you will report on schedule C or C-EZ (form 1040). In your case, this income is not subject to SE tax.
    Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 11, 2009, 12:48 PM
    Note that SE (self-employment) tax is the equivalent of FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes, which the self-employed pay under Schedule SE.

Because you are exempt from FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes, you are also exempt from SE taxes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Position of a L2 visa holder after divorce [ 1 Answers ]

I am on a L1A visa my wife is on a L2 visa. We have recently divorced. Is she allowed to remain in the US until her I-94 expires ( providing she does not leave the country & try to return ) or does she have to leave sooner. If she does what is that time.

Filing fiancee/spousal visa from US while working abroad with contract [ 6 Answers ]

The petitioner is from the US and petitioning the one originally from the Philippines working outside her country. Is this possible?

Can an L1 VISA holder apply to a C2C or 1099 contract position? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello My status: L1 VISA holder incorporated to my company since October 2007 my last renewal expires on October 2010. I know I can only work and be paid for my company but Since I finished my last project and I am plenty of time while living in the USA. Can an L1 VISA holder to apply...

Do I have to take on candidates with dependents visa for a long term position [ 1 Answers ]

As an employer who is looking to take on applicants on to a training programme with a view to developing them and promoting them in the company long term. Do I have to take on applicants who are on a dependents visa

Research associate position after one year J1 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hello dear all. I was in usa for six months on J1 Visa. I came back from US on 3rd September 2007. I Want ot go back to US Aon J1 Vis afor one year as research associate. On my earlier vis aI was subjected to two years rule. So I have not completed tow years .Can I have another J1 Visa. ...

View more questions Search