Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 01:20 PM
    Tax on soda
    They want to tax soda to help pay for the health care system. But why stop at soda lets tax that scary clown, BK, Wendy's, etc... Cause lets be honest these are unhealthy products. If we are going to tax the hell out of cigarettes these so called foods (and I use the word food loosely) are just as damaging as cigarettes. Will it deter anyone from eating it, probably not because it is a person right to be a fat unhealthy slob. So I say tax the hell out of it put it towards health care because the people who eat that garbage are going to need that health care.

Soda Tax Weighed to Pay for Health Care - WSJ.com
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Sep 9, 2009, 02:10 PM

Or... we could instead choose to not nationalize health care, and leave people's money in their pockets instead.

That's an option too, you know.

What about taxing orange juice? Did you know that there's as much sugar and carbs in a cup of OJ as there is in a cup of Coca Cola?

How about pasta? The carb and sugar content in a bowl of pasta is off the scale... similar to a bowl of ice cream.

Where do we draw the line, spitevenom? Who decides what foods are "healthy" and which are not? And why is it the government's job to regulate how I eat?

Oh, sure, if the government becomes the sole body running health care in this country, that MAKES them in charge of how we eat. That's a huge part of why I'm against nationalized health care... it gives them the excuse to regulate ANYTHING in our lives in order to "promote good health" and "prevent wasteful spending on health care".

You've touched on another very good reason NOT to nationalize health care, spitevenom. Good for you.

Elliot
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Sep 9, 2009, 05:41 PM
    I saw this on another website and thought it was a valid point

I did not ask for national health care. However, if we are going to add yet another entitlement for the masses, then at least the people that use it the most should pay their fair share. Smoking, obesity and other self-indulgent behavior increases the cost of healthcare to everyone regardless of other cost multipliers such as pharmaceutical and health insurance companies. Cost saving are obviously important, but immaterial to this discussion of the control of the costly public behavior. Basically, if the public wants the freedom to indulge and the healthcare to care for it, then they need to pay for it. Their freedom to indulge should end at my pocketbook.

When your 62 yo father with emphysema needs oxygen to breathe or heart bypass for a life of cigarette use and your 57 yo mother needs new knees because she just cannot stop consuming Krispy Kremes, it becomes difficult to deny them life-prolonging health care. This is why Obama is discussing the ‘need’ for healthcare in the first place. So, if the self-indulgent behavior is curbed, then fewer dollars are needed. If the behavior continues, then at least it is paid for ahead of time.

To set the various taxes, start with the annual costs of healthcare. The fraction that is attributed to any given self-indulgent behavior must be offset by the tax. So, if healthcare costs $1.2 trillion and 35% is related to cigarettes, then the cigarette tax per pack must equal $420 billion. If consumption diminishes, then the costs associated with cigarettes diminish as well. One can then apply this same formula to any and all behavior that results in higher healthcare costs such as food (tax based on total calories rather than singling out soda sales), bullets, driving, etc. Eliminating the cost of preventable healthcare would result in MUCH lower premiums, since only truly random diseases (leukemia, birth defects and trauma) would need to be covered by the new premiums. Remember that the people who do not overindulge are still paying these taxes, but because of their low rate of behavior, the tax would be low and would be easily offset by the savings that they see in their healthcare premiums.

Obviously this is a pragmatic approach which flies in the face of Washington politics, so I think Obama will just stick with his standard rhetoric and raise taxes further on people making more than $250K.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2009, 05:46 PM

I know that in Russia where they have health care for their citizens (and visiting tourists but NOT illegal aliens) they DO tax such things as chocolate, candy and soda. They tax things that are not good for a person. Sure, you can buy a candy bar but expect to pay more than you did years ago for it as it is taxed accordingly. Seems to cut down the number of tubbies and obesity over there.

I like the idea of taxing "junk" food. I like that idea a lot. And as for the pretend "food" that is served at McDonalds (home of the hamburger and bun that never deteriorates or molds), Wendys, Burger King, et al. I think that there should be a tax on top of the sales tax imposed as you take your meal and leave the premises hence it is taxed. If McDonalds actually served for real meat instead of the mish mash made up "mystery meat" that is imported from South America they couldn't sell a burger for $1.00. Nope. Never happen. They would have to charge at least $3-4 a burger if it was for real meat instead of flavored sawdust.

As for pizza. Well, I'm all for taxing the crap out of Pizza Hut, Dominos, Papa John's, et al. as well. All that is is GM dough with about 50 cents worth of toppings yet those rip off artists charge at least $10 for a large pie (if not more). HA! Now that's a really good mark up. Fifty cents worth of toppings on about 30 cents worth of dough. Gee, what fool is going to pay $10? I know. It's the box that costs the $9. Duh. Should have given that more thought. I say tax them out of this world.

I liked your article Sgt. Hardkore at lot. Glad you included it. Why should everyone pay for a few self indulgent people frittering their health away and then when they get too ill to continue with their horrendous habits cry help me help me I don't want to die! I tend not to have too much sympathy for them in the end as no one held a gun to their head and made them eat all that junk or made them smoke all those cigarettes or drink all that alcohol.
    saupuss Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2009, 06:14 PM
    It's all about control control control...

God this country is out of control...

I mean where is it going to stop.

I can see the FBI placing mandatory cameras in everyone's bedroom to verify we all only have sex in the missionary position.

Wouldn't want to throw out a hip doing it any other way... that would be to costly on health care...
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Sep 9, 2009, 06:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by saupuss View Post
    It's all about control control control...

God this country is out of control...

I mean where is it going to stop.

I can see the FBI placing mandatory cameras in everyones bedroom to verify we all only have sex in the missionary position.

Wouldn't want to throw out a hip doing it any other way... that would be to costly on health care...
    I can do the same thing, want to see!! If we had it the Republican way, we would get rid of police officers and the military and have citizens defend their own land. That way their's no government help! :cool:

See how stupid my post sounds? Now look at yours and you will be like wow this is stupid too.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2009, 06:38 PM

Hello:

If we're smart, we can REDUCE the amount of money we spend on health care and get BETTER results... IT's a win/win.

I'm not sure we should TAX the processed food industry. I think we should eliminate it by MARKET principles, which is what we're doing in the food revolution going on right under our noses... It's happening because people are getting TIRED of processed food. They're becoming better educated about it, and most importantly, the MARKET is responding. There IS locally grown healthy food available in EVERY city these days, even if you have to look for it... It's changing..

Junk food, too is a fad, and we can hasten its passing. I believe that we ARE in the process of doing that very thing. If we did NOTHING more than what is already happening around us, we'll SAVE money on our health care, and live a lot longer.

So, if we insured everybody, we could meet everybody's expectations.

excon
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Sep 9, 2009, 06:46 PM
    I have no problem with taxes for products that are unnecessary and self-destructive such as smokes, junk food and alcohol. These products cause health problems that cost the health care system billions of dollars. I enjoy a burger and fries, chips and wine sometimes, so I'm not some goody goody. This may be controversial but I don't think that health care should be given to people who have ruined their health with destructive habits. For example, I don't think that an alcoholic should be given a liver transplant, a smoker with lung cancer should not be treated and someone who weighs 300 pounds should be denied diabetes meds. People need to start taking responsibility for their own health and should not expect treatment if they ruin their own health.
    saupuss Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2009, 07:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sGt HarDKorE View Post
    I can do the same thing, want to see!?!? If we had it the Republican way, we would get rid of police officers and the military and have citizens defend their own land. That way their's no government help! :cool:

See how stupid my post sounds? Now look at yours and you will be like wow this is stupid too.
    Uh huh... I see... okay, you have it your way, and I'll have it mine.

Oh wait, you democrats are forcing your way on me.

Looks like I'm screwed.

Just one question. What about FREEDOM? Does that mean anything to anyone anymore?
    If little debbie and cocacola is willing to sell me a drink and a snack cake for $1.50, then why hamper my freedom to complete this transation with a hefty tax?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2009, 07:38 PM
    Oh wait, you democrats are forcing your way on me.
    Hello again, s:

Nahhh. I think its agribusiness that's forcing their way on you - not Democrats. You see, if we were really FREE to choose, NOBODY in their right mind would choose a little debbie snack cake...

No... When monopolies take over any industy, your choices are LIMITED, not expanded... They sell you what they WANT to sell you - not what you want to buy.

Really. Why would you select a little debbie snack cake which is full of preservatives and chemicals that nobody can pronounce, instead of the homemade freshly baked LOCAL snack that you COULD be eating? If you really HAD that choice, little debbie would go bankrupt.

excon
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 07:54 PM

If I get a peon job making food at a hospital, they will pay me 3-5 dollars an hour more than McDonalds. Whyszzat? The food isn't any different.

Big brother is watching you but who is watching big brother? If we adopt national healthcare we are asking for the same mis-managed bull as the social security system. If taxing soda happens, what will they tax next?

Maybe all type A personalities should be forced to pay higher health insurance premiums. Higher car insurance too, but that won't keep them off the roads or out of the cardiac unit.

We're looking at the big picture, but not the whole picture.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Sep 9, 2009, 08:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by earl237 View Post
    I have no problem with taxes for products that are unnecessary and self-destructive such as smokes, junk food and alcohol. These products cause health problems that cost the health care system billions of dollars. I enjoy a burger and fries, chips and wine sometimes, so I'm not some goody goody. This may be controversial but I don't think that health care should be given to people who have ruined their health with destructive habits. For example, I don't think that an alcoholic should be given a liver transplant, a smoker with lung cancer should not be treated and someone who weighs 300 pounds should be denied diabetes meds. People need to start taking responsibility for their own health and should not expect treatment if they ruin their own health.
    So by YOUR reasoning that destructive habits should not be treated those who engage in unprotected sex or high risk sex should not be treated for AIDs or other stds? People who text or talk on the phone while driving and then get into an accident should not be treated? Former athletes that have prematurely worn out their joints and bones should not be treated?
    Women who choose to stay with their abuser should not be treated?

Yes, you can REDUCE the COST of HEALTHCARE, when YOU DON'T TREAT the sick and the ill.
    Your idea makes health insurance companies, that charge higher premiums based on pre-existing conditions, look angelic.

Maybe the reason healthcare costs are so high is also that hospitals, doctors, nurses, ems, and all those on the frontline are professionals. They treat THE PERSON, instead of judging them.

G&P
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2009, 07:18 AM
    If little debbie and cocacola is willing to sell me a drink and a snack cake for $1.50, then why hamper my freedom to complete this transation with a hefty tax?
    I am sure your local crack dealer is willing to sell you some crack rocks 2 for $5.00. That is a good deal. Why aren't you jumping all over that? Is it because crack is bad for you?

What about taxing orange juice? Did you know that there's as much sugar and carbs in a cup of OJ as there is in a cup of Coca Cola?

How about pasta? The carb and sugar content in a bowl of pasta is off the scale... similar to a bowl of ice cream
    ET Look I am not going to sit here and act like I never drink coke. But I don't drink it multiple times a day everyday. Sure there is a lot of sugar in OJ that is why I have a half a glass in the morning and that's it. And I eat pasta maybe twice a month. And yes it does have a lot of sugar and carbs but if you exercise (another American kryptonite) it gives you a good kick of energy and you can burn it off.

See what you fail to recognize with comparing OJ to soda and pasta to ice cream is there are people who drink multiple soda's everyday and eat ice cream everyday. That is what is making people fat not the glass of OJ in the morning or the pasta someone eats maybe once a week.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2009, 07:21 AM

You mean you shouldn't eat ice cream every day?
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2009, 07:27 AM
    The people on the right can eat ice cream with coca cola as syrup everyday that is fine with me. :p
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2009, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    The people on the right can eat ice cream with coca cola as syrup everyday that is fine with me. :p
    We love you too, Spit :p
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2009, 08:17 AM

Have to keep it a little humorous for you speech!
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2009, 08:36 AM
    Not to worry... unless you are one of them 5%ers who make over $250,000 ,the President already promised no new taxes... right ?

A bit of history seems useful here .
    On April 5, 1764, Parliament passed a modified version of the Sugar and Molasses Act (1733), which was about to expire. Under the Molasses Act colonial merchants had been required to pay a tax of six pence per gallon on the importation of foreign molasses. But , they mostly evaded the taxes through the black market and undercut the intention of the tax .

This act, and the Currency Act, were the seeds for the revolt at the imposition of the Stamp Act.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2009, 09:00 AM

I proposed a different approach to governemnt healthcare:

It divides the responsibility between the private insurance companies and the government. They each would have different roles.

Government would be in charge of wellness programs and routine healthcare, catastophic health care and non-proven procedures.

Private insuranace companies would handle everything else.

Let's take government healthcare. They could handle flue shots, communicable diseases such as AIDS and Swine flue.
    They would handle all aspects of pregnancy. They would handle losing of a limb, Down's syndrome etc. They would handle transplants. They would handle routine colonosopies and screenings such as PSA.

They would create educational materials for say Asthma, diabetes, so everyon is on the same page. People would get that once they were diagnosed.

They will handle experimental treatments thus footing the bill for research.

Private health care would handle everything else. Sort of like an auto policy and house insurance. You rarely need to use it.
    Kid gets bhronchitus, breaks a leg, They would handle Asthma, Diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer except experimental treatments (debateable), bee stings, mastectomy. Emergency room visits.

Let the government make sure we are getting the same quality of care, promote wellness and pay for catastophic care.

You would need both insurances. Fined if you didn't. You'd get a little bit of money back if you did not use your insurance. You'd not get any money back from the Federal insurance. The premium for Federal is based on ability to pay.

Employers would not be allowed to select providers. Insurance companies can operate across state lines.

Your employer could electronicly pay the insurance companies, but that's it.
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2009, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
    Have to keep it a little humorous for you speech!
    Unlike some around here I'm a fan of humor... and I can recognize it, too :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bicarbonate of soda vs. Baking soda? [ 2 Answers ]

In Australia, we only have bicarbonate of soda and baking powder. The chocolate crinkles recipe I want to try out requires baking soda. Which can I use to substitute & how much?:confused:

Soda Pop Fizz [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to complete my science project and I am doing it on the Soda Pop and its fizz. I used Powder Citric Acid, C6H8O7, and Baking Soda, NaHCO3, what is the resulting chemical reaction on this? Is it C6H8O7 + NaHCO3 -> C6H9O8Na + CO2 I normally used 1 to 1 ratio but is it...

Identifying baking soda and washing soda [ 2 Answers ]

Using a monoprotic acid, how would you find out which sample is baking soda and which sample is washing soda if you have unknown samples of each? I think it has something to do with how much CO2 each produces when reacted with the acid, but I don't know which produces more CO2 and which produces...

Dog Ate Soda Bottle [ 1 Answers ]

I gave my dog a small soda bottle with dog treats inside to play with and keep her occupied. We've done this many times. I can't find the bottle anywhere. IF she ate The entire bottle, what do I need to watch for? :confused:

View more questions Search