Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Sep 9, 2009, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Elliot, I'm not here to argue anything. I'm here for a friendly discussion. No, I don't believe mothers in Columbia or Dominica are better educated. But, then again, where I live is not much different than those places.
    And I'll bet that young mothers-to-be STILL get better pre-natal care than anyone in those countries.

And that is the point, isn't it? Our system is better, not because our statistical NUMBERS are better, but because our patients receive better care and experience better outcomes. That is the only true measure of a health care system's effectiveness. And we've got every other country in the world beat on patient outcomes. Yes, we spend more... but we also get more for it.

Elliot
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 9, 2009, 10:47 AM
    You are correct Elliot, aside from the fact that not all mothers get prenatal care or adequate prenatal care.

You would be surprised to find how many mothers, after the first baby, don't think they need prenatal care because "they were pregnant before and there were no problems." Many women don't get this care because they have "been there done that" and think they know everything.

Also, with the rise of teen pregnancies, many teen girls are afraid to get care so that their parents don't find out that they are pregnant. Yes, I've seen a girl give birth in the toilet because she was in such denial she thought she had a stomach virus and never told her parents she was pregnant.

Luckily here we have choices. Now some people don't take advantage of the medical care and that's their choice. In the other third-world countries those women don't have the luxury of those choices.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cosigning a loan under medical care [ 4 Answers ]

My father cosigned a loan for my niece while he was under medical care and chemotherapy. She basically took advantage of him and now she has not paid the loan since it became due 3 months ago and my father is receiving overdue notices and will have his credit jeopardized. Is there a way they can...

How do I gain temporary custody or foster care of my great niece? [ 3 Answers ]

:eek:My niece has been in foster care for several years and is now 18. She isn't beig allowed to leave her foster care until she is 19. She has a daughter who is only 8 months old and she wants me to adopt, get fose care of or temporary custody of her daughter until she is able to get her self...

Medical Care in North Dakota [ 2 Answers ]

Medical Care in North Dakota .A doctor in Bismarck wanted to get off work and go hunting, so he approached his assistant. 'Ole, I am goin huntin' tomorrow and don't want to close the clinic. I want you to take care of the clinic and take . care of all my patients'. 'Yes, sir!' answers...

US Health Care Problems and Medical Tourism? [ 24 Answers ]

I'm very curious about others outlook on this subject. Health care in the US is a big problem and the majority of the Population go without because it's not affordable or they have pre existing illnesses and are turned down by insurance companies. Has anyone heard pro/cons about medical...

View more questions Search