Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2009, 12:50 AM
    If a Business Is Operated by Only One Person, Can It Be Incorporated?
    Hi, All!

The title is my main question. Further, I have a number of small businesses that I operate. Can anyone of them be incorporated or maybe even all of them as a group? Does it matter the type of business that one of them might be? I'm really naïve in this particular area, but I do know how to market, advertise and promote the businesses that I run. They're all out of my home.

Maybe I should have phrased my original question better. But, this is confusing to me because it would seem to be a multi-faceted issue.

Thanks!
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Sep 12, 2009, 09:07 PM

Yes it can Clough, you may incorporate all of them individually or incorporate one and possibly have the others (no matter what they are for) as subsidiaries. It is best to have an attorney involved, however it is possible to incorporate in your state without one.

Or, you can incorporate as a Holding Company. http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/...olding-company

Stringer
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2009, 09:15 PM
    Hi, Stringer!

So, are you saying that I couldn't incorporate all of my businesses as a group lumped together?

Thanks!
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Sep 13, 2009, 05:28 AM
    Clough, you could certainly place more than one, or even all, of your biz activities into a single corporate entity.

Pro: Cheaper. Each corporation requires incorporation costs (usually not very expensive if you do the paperwork yourself--a bit more expensive if an attorney handles it. Check with your state's Secretary of State website on info re setting up a corporation.)

Con: Greater liability risk. Dividing your business assets and activities across multiple corporate entities usually provides a stronger liability firewall. For example, if you have two businesses wrapped inside a single corporation, and a lawsuit is initiated against the corporation, the assets of both businesses are potentially exposed to that risk. But if the two sets of assets were in separate corporations, a lawsuit against one of those corporations only exposes the assets of that one business to the risk.

That greater degree of liability protection (with the multi-corp arrangement) comes at a cost, though--in order for the multi-corporate structure to be respected by a court in the event of a lawsuit or damage claim, you'll have to show that you've also respected the corporations as separate entities yourself. That means that they each have their own checkbook; you haven't been moving funds back and forth between the entities willy-nilly without valid biz reasons; stuff like that.

Finally, if you go the incorporation route, be sure to pow-wow with a tax accountant early on. There are certain choices and decisions that can be made with respect to the tax status and treatment of the corps, and making the right choices can really provide some nice benefits.

Cheers!
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2009, 12:52 AM
    Thank you for your informative and insightful answer, ArcSine!
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2009, 01:58 PM
    Hey, Stringer!

What did you think of the answer by ArcSine, please?

You know the things that I do to make a living...

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Becoming incorporated [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking to start my own trucking co and the first step is to incorporate. Does somebody know what should I do to skip the fee for an attorney, or accountant and do it myself? That is happening in Illinois if that matters

How do I become incorporated, licensed and bonded in IL? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking to start up a small construction/home improvement/general contractor type business, handling most of the construction work ourselves but contracting out some specialty work like electrical, etc. How do I become incorporated, licensed and bonded to accept and perform jobs in the state of...

Living in a state other than where we were incorporated [ 4 Answers ]

We incorporated in Arkansas but have now relocated to Missouri. How do we file taxes? I was told we could file as a foreign corporation but can't find any information on it. Would appreciate your help

Incorporated Vs 1099 Contractor [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am trying to know the differences in tax that an individual would pay as an independent contractor vs being incorporated. I am on OPT now and would convert to H-1 in OCtober. I got an offer from a company and would like me to be incorporated. My total estimated income would be close...

View more questions Search