Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    qnman Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2009, 12:31 AM
    How do you say this in french?
    How does one say "and that's that" or "and that's final" in french?

and is there an idiomatic expression for "i am broke"?

Thank you,
    qnman
    Bill-K Posts: 54, Reputation: 16

Sep 9, 2009, 01:30 AM

Until someone who is truly bi-lingual comes along, qnman, I know there is a French expression, "Et Voilá !!!" (the accent should be a grave accent - not acute)

It basically means "And there it is !!!" or "And there we are !!!"

... but I don't think it is the exact equivalent of the Latin "Q.E.D."
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 01:42 AM

If you Google english to french translation should come up.

Sep 9, 2009, 04:52 AM

Not sure if this would find the 'idiomatic expression,' though, redhed.

"I am broke" means "I have no money" to most of us. But to a translation machine, I suspect the result would be something like "Je ne sais fait" - or something similar - meaning "I can no longer function."

An English 'Rhyming Slang' version of "I am Broke" is "I'm Boracic." (Often incorrectly written "Brassic") It is short for "Boracic Lint" - which itself is Rhyming Slang for "Skint." I don't know where the term "Skint" comes from - but I'm pretty sure that if you googled 'I am Boracic Lint' into a translator, you would get the French equivalent of 'I am a medical dressing based on woven cotton fibre and borax.'!!

Actually - this is possibly an interesting exercise - finding strict translations for such expressions as:

Who are you kidding ?

Hasta la Vista... baby.

Yeah... right!!

Cool...

Don't mess with me!

What the f..

Sep 9, 2009, 05:35 AM
    LOL - My apologies for going off-topic. If I could rep your 'rep comment' redhed, I would. I tried to PM you - but you're aloof. The irony of being repped - via a tuna sandwich - by a red-headed Irish person - is not lost on me!! Love your humour - and I feel suitably 'put down'!! ;):)

I guess what we need here is a genuine French 'East-Ender' who knows the 'Patois.'

LOL - here's another one...

"Diamond Geezer."

Perhaps translates as "Carbon-encrusted hole, spewing hot water and gas." :D

... OK - If the cap fits, I guess I better wear it!! :rolleyes:
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 05:43 AM
    At the risk of the op coming back to check his post,I'm going to digress a little...

Cockney slang has always been a favourite with me...

The ole jack russells are sore after peeling spuds,and certainly my back is not feeling the mae west today,however the dog and bone has been going all morning and my lumps of meat are tired.

Translate that mr urban jungle!

Sep 9, 2009, 05:56 AM
    LOL - With apologies to the OP and admin here. I always find a little humour in threads is like chucking paper planes in the office - we need to do it occasionally.

LOL, Redhed - you oughtta get McCain Oven Chips - that'll save your sore muscles, and I'm sorry to hear your back isn't at its' best today. The blower goin' all morning ? That must be doin' your 'ead in - just unplug it. Sorted!!

A nice bowl of hot water will sort out your plates (NOT lumps, me dear - that's BANG out of order!! ) - Give 'em a good soak!! :D:D:D
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 06:01 AM

Did I say lumps.. must be a regional thing,or perhaps lost in translation..

We will get horse whipped for chit chat and hijacking,not to mention the health and safety issues regarding aviation in the office.
    qnman Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2009, 06:08 AM

Haha! Not what I was looking for, but I love it! (The parts I understand that is, you UK people confuse me... ) No apologies needed :D I've got the answers I needed anyhow. Thanks! (If I could, I'd join in your witty banter, but I'm Australian, we don't do witty)
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 06:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by qnman View Post
    Haha! Not what I was looking for, but I love it! (The parts I understand that is, you UK people confuse me...) No apologies needed :D I've got the answers I needed anyhow. Thanks! (If I could, I'd join in your witty banter, but I'm australian, we don't do witty)

There are threads available to banter with other members, I think 200 posts are the required entrance fee.

Hope to see you around quman.

Sep 9, 2009, 06:14 AM
    LOL - Don't come the raw prawn with me, mate!! What about some Strine!!

Nah - on second thoughts - I guess the swear filter will overheat!!

Glad you got your answer, mate!!

200 posts ? I better go. People to annoy - targets to meet!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grandaughter of French Citizen Believes Eligible for Dual Citizenship (French/USA) [ 1 Answers ]

I recently visited my Aunt (in California) and she gave me a sparse amount of information to the effect as follows: 1.) Even though I was born in California and live in Washington State, because my grandmother was a French citizen that never naturalized American (never became and American...

US born, French Father, want dual French Citizenship [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, If anyone can assist me. I am US born with a French father. I have called the French Consulate in Los Angeles (my closest one) and they weren't helpful at all. In fact, I was treated poorly. I am trying to find out the steps necessary in order to obtain dual US/French citizenship. My...

Can French citizen applying for US citizenship keep French nationality too? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am a French citizen with a green card since 1997, that I obtained through marriage. I have been living in the US since then and I would like to apply to a US citizenship but keep my French citizenship as well. Is this possible? Also, I am now separated from my husband. Can I...

View more questions Search