Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bpittman Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Oct 27, 2006, 04:26 PM
    How do I wire a new FHW zone
    I have a gas fired, forced hot water heating system with 3 zones. The zones are controlled by a TACO switching relay (SR506). I would like to add a 4th zone. That is relatively simple. I can add the circulating pump, etc. and can easily connect the new thermostat. But I do not want a thermostat on the new zone.

:confused: My question is on wiring.:confused:

I would like to have the 4th zone activated when any of the other 3 zones call for heat. In other words, if zone 1 calls for heat, zones 1 & 4 will run. If zone 2 calls for heat, zones 2 & 4 will run, etc.

Does anyone know how I can wire the thermostats and/or circulating pumps to get the reults I am looking for.

Thanks.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2006, 07:48 PM
    So you have 3 circulating pumps now?

Oct 27, 2006, 07:53 PM
    Yes, 3 pumps are working now.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2006, 08:05 PM
    At first thought, it seems if you tie the other 3 pump relays to the coil of the fourth, they are going to back feed and all 4 are going to run unless you pile relay on relay. (Labman distrusts relays.) Perhaps have the white wire that fires the boiler also start the fourth pump. That way, any time one zone starts the boiler, the fourth pump starts.

Oct 28, 2006, 03:56 AM
    That sounds like it might work. I would jumper the XX leads to the TT connection of the 4th zone thermostat. The only question I have is what would the 24 volt from the XX end switch/boiler do to the SR506? Since the SR506 is a relatively expensive box, I'm a little nervous about that.

Based on your input, I had a thought. What if I front end the SR506 with another box? Is there a box that accepts 3 thermostats and has one boiler end switch? I do not need the line voltage to the circulator pumps in the additional box. I would wire all the thermostats to the front end box and jumper to the corresponding zone TT connections on the SR506. I would use the XX end switch that would normally go to the boiler and connect it to zone 4 TT on the SR506. If any zone calls for heat, the front end box will activate the XX and zone 4 will start along with any of the other zones.

Oct 30, 2006, 07:17 AM
    Here is an update. I connected the XX switch to the zone 4 TT. The problem is I got continuous heat once it turned on. It never shut off.

Instead of buying another box at $150+, I took another approach. I discovered the ZR line voltage terminal gets activated when any zone calls for heat. I disconnected the hot lead to the zone 4 circulator pump and reconnected it to the ZR terminal. I left the factory installed jumper in place between the ZC and ZC terminals. Zone 4 now heats the space whenever zones 1, 2 or 3 call for heat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Janitrol 7 wire to Honeywell RTH230B 5 wire [ 3 Answers ]

I currently have a Janitrol digital thermostat. I can't read the model #. It has 8 terminals and 7 wires hooked up. Terminal - Color Y - Yellow Com - Blue R - Red G - Green w2 - Looks white E/w3 - Looks pink O - Orange B - Nothing

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings, My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use... The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white)....

4 wire home service entrance wire size [ 1 Answers ]

Mobile home requires 4 wire electrical service entrance wire. Distance is 160 foot from meter to breaker panel. 220V service. What size wire do I use? Can I use diff. size for neutral and ground?

2 Wire White-Rogers with no wallplate wire question [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there. I want to replace my current White-Rogers 1E56W309 thermostat with a new Honeywell RTH7500D. The problem is that the tools that installed my high efficiency furnace didn't install the wall plate with my thermostat (it was a new house and the builder contracted these guys). Instead,...

View more questions Search